Advertisement

Review Group Week 215 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #626

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ****** » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:your liking this book when it is bad and when Gaydos' work is less than his best and giving it a perfect ten is the liberal equivalent to my conservative stance. You are just as militant, bitch!

I'm balancing the scales motherfrakker. :twisted:

The art is a 10, IMO. For serious. I <3'd it.

The fact that this is racking up 1s and 2s is far higher on the bullshit scale than me giving it a 10.

Advertisement

Postby ****** » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:25 pm

Shit, now I'm all riled up and have to do some actual work. Damn you Review Group and your mass delusions! :x :x :x

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:29 pm

amlah6 wrote:I'm balancing the scales motherfrakker. :twisted:

The art is a 10, IMO. For serious. I <3'd it.

The fact that this is racking up 1s and 2s is far higher on the bullshit scale than me giving it a 10.

I gave it a five. I feel that is honest, I think it is misplaced in the book - not just spider-man but the tone of this issue. Second, I don't think it is his best work. Seems I am being more balanced than not.

Postby ****** » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:48 pm

thefourthman wrote:I gave it a five. I feel that is honest, I think it is misplaced in the book - not just spider-man but the tone of this issue. Second, I don't think it is his best work. Seems I am being more balanced than not.

It's typically awesome Gaydos work that fits just fine with the tone of the story. You're all crazy! Crazy I say!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:52 pm

amlah6 wrote:It's typically awesome Gaydos work that fits just fine with the tone of the story. You're all crazy! Crazy I say!

I sense some projection going on here.

Postby ****** » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:59 pm

thefourthman wrote:I sense some projection going on here.

I sense some early onset glaucoma on your part.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:01 pm

amlah6 wrote:I sense some early onset glaucoma on your part.

or maybe on yours, and that is why Gaydos's art doesn't look out of place, cause all your comics look like that.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:02 pm

what the fuck is going on?! lee is losing his shit, old man picks an event book. madness! :shock: :lol:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:03 pm

doombug wrote:what the fuck is going on?! lee is losing his shit, old man picks an event book. madness! :shock: :lol:

:?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:08 pm

I think I will read this now.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:09 pm

doombug wrote:what the fuck is going on?! lee is losing his shit, old man picks an event book. madness! :shock: :lol:

:high five:

:-D

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:55 pm

amlah6 wrote:You're all crazy! Crazy I say!

You're not the first to claim that. But I haven't committed any mass murders.

Yet.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:57 pm

I picked the event book because...let's face it...it is the most important event book over the last few months. (9 months, isn't it?) And it is the book that has been driving the sales chart for that time.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:10 pm

Old Man wrote:Not-So-Amazing Spider-Man #626

What do the following all have in common? A machine made by Hoover, Spider-Man # 626, a vortex, and my attitude.

They all suck.

(And so does Sidney Crosby, a.k.a. Cindy Crysbaby.)

Lente just isn't a good writer. Gaydos is a horrid artist. This whole book is made of fugly. Fugly art, fugly wrtiting.

Traditionally, the Spider-Sense only kicks up when there is an immediate danger. Yet in this story, it kicks up when a 'former' criminal is visiting with Michele at the apartment. A. -- it's unbelievably stupid for any attorney to let any criminal know where they live. Just. Damned. Stupid. B. -- there is no danger here. If the Spider-Sense is going to kick up every time Spider-Man comes within 5 feet of any criminal, it is going to kick up all the time, making it useless.

Late in the story, the Spider-Sense returns after being dampened, and Spider-Man uses it as a guidance system telling him which way to go to get to safety. That's changing the way it works, and making it more like Daredevil's radar.

Yet at a vital point in the story, the Spider-Sense fails to warn Spider-Man that he is about to get attacked. That point is when the female Scorpion stings him and dampens his Spider-Powers.

Cliched and hackneyed are two polite words that come to mind when I think of this book. And I find I hate that I am thinking about this book. I'm not writing any more about it, even though I could go on for a thousand more words about how bad this comic is. I'm not wasting my time.

Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly. Sucked. Fugly.

I hope I never read another comic this bad for the rest of my life.

And I'm being kind.

You know if I wasn't married to David and you weren't straight, we might have been an item. :-D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:45 pm

So, I haven't enjoyed Spiderman since right before the Other since I used the Other as an excuse to drop spiderman. Which is why I'm so hesitant to pick up superman but that's for another time. I think this was a one off story but really it felt like a total throw away from page one to last panel of russian nut jobs. I started my heavy comic reading with Daredevil by Bendis and Maleev and have to say that I have since learned to just completely dislike Maleev's art. So why does Maleev matter when this book was clearly drawn by Michael Gaydos??? Because it's same shitty style except I've never liked Gaydos. Gaydos's art is out of place, stagnant and static in all the wrong ways and this issue has zero kinetic energy and doesn't seem to push any story forward. Van Lente's story isn't anything special either. Over all it just seems to an aimless issue that doesn't accomplish anything in the grand scheme of things.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand