Advertisement

Review Group Week 215 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #626

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:59 pm

The Amazing Spider-Man #626
Damn this book is getting killed. I didn't think it was so bad, I really liked the art... I mean it didn't fit this book at all but it was still nice to look at. The art maybe would have worked better on the Spider-Man noir book but seemed a little too gritty for the 616, that being said I still liked it. The problem with reviewing these Spidey books is that I don't know where it's at since it is shipped thricely. The last one I read was the Rhino book we reviewed and that I thought was excellent so this one seemed mildly disappointing. Van Lente seemed to have a solid grasp on Peter's voice and I like how he used the room mate but the Scorpion character came off a little lame. It was cool to see the Hood, I try to avoid ASM all together so I don't know if he often appears in this book but he seems like the perfect Spider-Man villain. The end confused me a little, are we supposed to know who the Russian woman are that bought the Scorpion suit?

STORY - 7

ART - 7

OVERALL - 7

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 49 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Maleev and Gaydos's styles really aren't that similar. Mack and maleev maybe but not gaydos and maleev.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:33 pm

doombug wrote:Maleev and Gaydos's styles really aren't that similar. Mack and maleev maybe but not gaydos and maleev.

They're all three the same person because they all worked with Bendis.

/fourthman'd

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:41 pm

amlah6 wrote:They're all three the same person because they all worked with Bendis.

/fourthman'd

I can tell the difference between them... those brazilian "brothers/cousins" on the other hand...

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:18 pm

doombug wrote:Maleev and Gaydos's styles really aren't that similar. Mack and maleev maybe but not gaydos and maleev.

But I would argue that they're from the same school. Both deal with texture more than movement or shape.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:21 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:But I would argue that they're from the same school. Both deal with texture more than movement or shape.

The texture of dried feces.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:23 pm

starlord wrote:You know if I wasn't married to David and you weren't straight, we might have been an item. :-D

Mutual admiration, my friend.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:46 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:But I would argue that they're from the same school. Both deal with texture more than movement or shape.

agreed...

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 49 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:37 pm

I guess I can concede to that point. I just disagree on the similar styles over all.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:39 am

Amazing Spider-Man #626 - 'The Sting' - Van Lente and Gaydos

Story - I'm an unabashed fan of Brand New Day Spider-Man, I just think it makes for good Spidey, and I feel that the book has been on a fantastic up-swinging run since about #600, I can only think of 1 or 2 bad issues in the last 6 months, which is pretty decent going. The Gauntlet meta-arc especially has been a great read, the classic Spider-Man villains have been given a new lick of paint, and Peter is really being put through the runner.

This issue is a bit of a breather from the Gauntlet, as the Kraven's are only tangentially involved, and the Scorpion that shows up isn't particularly classic, but it was still a decent issue of ASM, particularly for how it focuses and works with character. One of the few problems I've had with the book has been the character of Michele Gonzales, Peter's roommate, she hasn't really been developed, and has just come across as kind of a crazy bitch, waving a shotgun in Peter Parker's face one minute, falling in love with him the next. But in this issue, Van Lente fleshes her out a bit, makes her less unstable, and more of an actual character. Spider-Man is as much a personal soap opera for Peter Parker as it is about Spider-Man punching people, and it's good to take a break from the brutal gauntlet to develop some supporting cast.

Not that this issue doesn't have punching in it, Peter comes up against some random hoods (employed by The Hood!), as well as Bushwacker, Tombstone and the new Scorpion, a sort of ambiguous anti-hero. I don't know much about this new Scorpion, I read her appearances in Avengers: The Initiative, and that's pretty much it, but she seems interesting, and it seems Spider-Man has put her more towards a hero's path (despite the last page). And I liked how Fred Van Lente wove in disparate bits of Marvel continuity like SPIN tech or the Hood being the new Kingpin, I like seeing the Hood show up outside the Avengers books, it makes the character stronger.

This issue also doesn't skimp on some humour, Van Lente is probably one of the few writer's whose superhero work is actually funny. In Incredible Hercules and on Spider-Man, it actually elicits a chuckle from me, it's good to laugh.

So, this isn't the best issue of Amazing Spider-Man this year, but it's still decent, we take a break from a big story, and finally get around to developing a supporting character, add to that some good jokes, some good continuity work, and we've got a solid chapter in the ongoing tapestry that is Spider-Man. Let's just hope Roger Stern and Lee Weeks can keep up the pace when the Juggernaut comes roaring into town.

Art - When you close your eyes and think "Spider-Man", a style like Michael Gaydos' may not be the first one to spring to mind. But I've always maintained that Spider-Man is the superhero most able to accommodate a variety of art styles, and Gaydos makes it work. I think it helps that this issue isn't about superhero action, but character, and when there is action, Peter is skulking around, and often not in costume. If Spider-Man was Alias, it might be like this issue. But with more ass-fucking.

Best Line - 'Because this looks like a job for ... Anonymous White Guy!'

7/10

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:05 am

This is the worst Spider-Man comic I have read since BTK/OMD.

I absolutely, positively abhor the movie Scarface. And this was written at the same level. And the art is horrid, both in appearance and in storytelling ability.

And I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how NuSpider-Man's Spider-Sense works the same as Daredevil's radar sense when it never did before.

Why is it you can never seem to get the taste of vomit out of your mouth?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:05 am

Old Man wrote:This is the worst Spider-Man comic I have read since BTK/OMD.

I absolutely, positively abhor the movie Scarface. And this was written at the same level. And the art is horrid, both in appearance and in storytelling ability.

And I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how NuSpider-Man's Spider-Sense works the same as Daredevil's radar sense when it never did before.

Um... it doesn't.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:12 am

Old Man wrote:This is the worst Spider-Man comic I have read since BTK/OMD.

that is some harsh shit dude. Never understood the appeal of that movie, it is amatuerish in every sense.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:15 pm

The Amazing Spider-man #626
FLV (I’m not typing up his full name) has done some really solid work with Spidey. This issue doesn’t hold a candle to his near perfect Sandman story but for a standalone it’s good. The art for me really raised the issue, incredible art I hope Gaydos come back for some more work on Spidey in the future. Overall solid issue just not Rhino level standalone issue quality.
Story 8.0
Art 9.5
Overall 8.7

Great pick for next week!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:39 am

The RG is very schizo this week. I expect the same will be true with Blackest Night next time.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand