Advertisement

Review Group Week 215 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #626

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 15844
Likes: 155 posts
Liked in: 192 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:49 pm

Prince of Potter wrote:Eh, it was a solid issue. Surprised by some of the really low scores handed out this week, and the only way I can explain it is that--despite what some people say--they don't like the classic, continuity-neutral, done-in-one story formula anymore. Guess it just seems boring to tell a street-level Spidey tale these days. Story, imo, was solid (some good moments between Peter and Michelle), art was a bit distracting but very well done, and while it wasn't life-changing, I felt there was enough bang for the buck in terms of the amount of story in the issue.


I love done in ones. But this was a bad issue. Punchy and twig hate done in ones but they love anything by marvel so they are contradictory little twits....regardless this just wasn't a good issue and the scores being so low is really on the art.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

Advertisement

Zero
User avatar
Zombie Guard
 
Posts: 9212
Likes: 13 posts
Liked in: 53 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The Frozen North
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian


Postby Zero » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:09 am

The art wasn't horrible, it just didn't really fit what was happening. You wouldn't put someone like Ben Templesmith on Runaways and you shouldn't put Michael Gaydos on Spidey.

The done in one stuff is fine, but not when it's this bland and pointless.

Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34375
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:27 am

Zero wrote:The art wasn't horrible, it just didn't really fit what was happening. You wouldn't put someone like Ben Templesmith on Runaways and you shouldn't put Michael Gaydos on Spidey.

The done in one stuff is fine, but not when it's this bland and pointless.


I'd LOVE to see a Templesmith Runaways, it'd be a massive head-fuck.

Mr_Batman
User avatar
Review Grouper
 
Posts: 3647
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:15 pm


Postby Mr_Batman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:56 am

Alas, I couldn't travel to the comic store this week. But I will DEFINITELY be going this week, so expect a review then.

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Kerny wrote:In a JMS issue of Back in Black, Spidey picked out the sniper in a subway station full of people by closing his eyes and just using his spidey sense


And yet the Spider-Sense didn't warn him that the Scorpion was going to sting him.

In order to be believable, things in a story must be consistent. Internal consistency, it's called. A writer MUST know that, and so should the f***ing EDITOR!

I'm glad we'll be done talking about this comic soon. Much more of this, and I'll have to rip off my left arm and beat myself right silly with it.
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

Old Man
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1486
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:54 pm


Postby Old Man » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:Alas, I couldn't travel to the comic store this week. But I will DEFINITELY be going this week, so expect a review then.


I go to the LCS every week whether they want me there or not.
.
.
I was perfectly content before I was born.
.
.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26549
Likes: 42 posts
Liked in: 23 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:03 am

Prince of Potter wrote:Eh, it was a solid issue. Surprised by some of the really low scores handed out this week, and the only way I can explain it is that--despite what some people say--they don't like the classic, continuity-neutral, done-in-one story formula anymore. Guess it just seems boring to tell a street-level Spidey tale these days. Story, imo, was solid (some good moments between Peter and Michelle), art was a bit distracting but very well done, and while it wasn't life-changing, I felt there was enough bang for the buck in terms of the amount of story in the issue.

You are pretty much wrong, imo.

I have loved Spider Since Brand New Day started. This was a weak issue with out of place art. Motivations for the characters were all wrong. Plus the story is not at all continuity neutral, it may seem like that as an episode, but as I have explained... there is a puzzle being built and what happens here is part of it, just like every issue has been since the deal with the devil was made.

I wouldn't argue that there wasn't enough bang for the buck. It was indeed a packed issue, problem was the execution.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26549
Likes: 42 posts
Liked in: 23 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:05 am

Dum Dum Dugan wrote:I can't remember if it was one of the power upgrades from The Other or just Spidey developing his powers over time but it's definitely an accepted use these days.

it was the Other, problem was they haven't really developed that story, they just use what they want to, when they want to and we are supposed to know.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26549
Likes: 42 posts
Liked in: 23 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:06 am

Old Man wrote:And yet the Spider-Sense didn't warn him that the Scorpion was going to sting him.

In order to be believable, things in a story must be consistent. Internal consistency, it's called. A writer MUST know that, and so should the f***ing EDITOR!

I'm glad we'll be done talking about this comic soon. Much more of this, and I'll have to rip off my left arm and beat myself right silly with it.

exactly. The story didn't agree with itself, much less other books of the same title or books involving the characters depicted. Which especially a problem when it wants to point you to where to find out more about the characters.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby ****** » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:53 am


Punchy
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 34375
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 43 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:27 am
Location: UK
Title: Shitlord


Postby Punchy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:13 am

'As usual, Punchy is right'

Damn right.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26549
Likes: 42 posts
Liked in: 23 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:23 am

Punchy wrote:'As usual, Punchy is right'

Damn right.

proving your point, imo.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26549
Likes: 42 posts
Liked in: 23 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:20 pm

just curious, but amlah, why don't you post the thread on the front page when it goes live on Wednesday? If I understand Jude correctly, the front page gets a fair amount of traffic. This would put the group in a position to get more participants and raise the profile of the group..

Just a question/suggestion.

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby ****** » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:just curious, but amlah, why don't you post the thread on the front page when it goes live on Wednesday? If I understand Jude correctly, the front page gets a fair amount of traffic. This would put the group in a position to get more participants and raise the profile of the group..

Just a question/suggestion.


If you want to do the extra work, be my guest. I waste enough time on this shit as it is.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26549
Likes: 42 posts
Liked in: 23 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:55 pm

amlah6 wrote:If you want to do the extra work, be my guest. I waste enough time on this shit as it is.

Can't Loltron do it?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 74 guests

Advertisement