Advertisement

Review Group Week 216 - BLACKEST NIGHT #8

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:28 am

thefourthman wrote:What the fuck do I care, one of those places doesn't exist, so who cares?

They both exist one has cleveland and the other has the Klan and sister fucking...I don't know which is worse.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 306 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:37 am

My review:

This was a hell of a weak conclusion for an event book that started off interesting, had a few twists and turns on the way that intrigued me, seemed to raise the bar for a big finish.........only to end up being glorified filler for Brightest Day.

There is no transition at all, the book is basically a walking ad for brightest day with all these random-wut moments crammed one after the other and everything wrapped up out of the blue in about 2pages each max for 90% of neglected plot threads. White Lantern Sinestro: jobbed out, Anti Monitor who was forgotten: comes back in one lanel and is banished in another 2-3. Deadman appears out of Guy Gardners ass to give the winning strategy etc. etc.

After all the build-up just shoved aside while Brightest Day is shoved right up the readers ass.

You'd think releasing a Brightest Day special also this week would've been the logical idea sales/profit wise instead of releasing this weak shit. Blackest Night went out with a whimper, unless you'll fanboy out for the random resurrections and character moment panels thrown randomly in there to advertise their upcoming spin-offs and Brightest Day.

Somehow I expect the GL title to be what this book wasnt though, a solid book. So sad that the side story book written by the same writer is so superior to the big event.

Art was purdy, though the coloring had some off moments with the kaleidoscope of colors on every page.

Story: 1/5
Art: 4/5

overall: 2.5/5

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:50 am

doombug wrote:It's a DC book, of course Twigg is going to blindly hate it.

:lol:. Stop demeaning people who don't agree with you.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:52 am

Amoebas wrote::lol: If I know you at all, you probably went into this book not wanting to like anything in it. Execpt for the quotes you most likely had your entire critique written long before you actually saw the issue. I suspect this because I'd probably do the same for a Bendis book if I were to review one (which I won't because I'm aware of my bias).

I went into this issue knowing it would be a clusterfuck from the spoilers. I've said many times I hate resurection, I hate hokey silver age type plots, and bad dialogue really gets to me, so of course I gave this issue a bad review.

Also, I don't care if "that's how guardians speak" the dialogue itself was cringeworthy, absolutely horriific. Try imaginining someone saying that outloud.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 244 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:53 am

Jubilee wrote::lol:. Stop demeaning people who don't agree with you.

Oh stop it, you know I love you. :lol: You do hate DC though. :wink:

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:07 am

:wink:

I don't hate DC. I like Morrison though I'm not checking out his work atm. I love Detective Comics, and JMS' Brave and the Bold. It's just I really don't like Johns. I really don't like Simone or other by the numbers writers like Bedard so I'm not particually interested in the books they're doing at the moment. If Bendis, Bru,BKV, JMS did more stuff over there I'd check it out

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:43 am

Good finish

Props to Reis for his outstanding work on this series!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 274 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 am

Jubilee wrote:If Bendis, Bru,BKV, JMS did more stuff over there I'd check it out

So you'll be adding Superman and Wonder Woman to your pull, then?

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:05 am

I'm not posting my review yet, but I wouldn't say this was a perfect issue in terms of story (some of the stuff was kind of cheeky), but I thought it was pretty good.

Porcelain38
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Staff Writer.

Postby Porcelain38 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:18 am

Jubilee wrote::lol:. Stop demeaning people who don't agree with you.

...and the pot calls the kettle black.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 am

Mr_Batman wrote:I'm not posting my review yet, but I wouldn't say this was a perfect issue in terms of story (some of the stuff was kind of cheeky), but I thought it was pretty good.

I've never seen a comic described as cheeky! I like it.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:26 am

nietoperz wrote:So you'll be adding Superman and Wonder Woman to your pull, then?

Possibly Wonder Woman. Is Superman going to be crossing over and shit again? Not interested if it is. I love Brave and the Bold though.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:44 am

Blackest Night 8

I thought this was a decent comic, but I have a lot of personal problems with it

The fact that only the Johns approved characters get to come back is kinda lame. I don't really give a shit about anyone thats back outside of J'onn and Arthur, but for consistency sakes, shouldn't everyone be or no one be back?. Deadman not being dead is also pretty dumb. The dialogue also gets cheesy in parts. The choosing to live lines were dull

Mera being brought back to life with true love was also kinda lame

Sinestro as the white lantern was done away with too fast

HOLY SHIT ITS THE ANTI-MONITOR........Oh one panel later he's gone

It wasnt all bad however. Nice little character moments with Barry looking for the Dibny's and the realization that Batman is not dead, just because Return of Bruce Wayne is going to be awesome. Larfleeze is also entertaining.

Also you can't say enough about the art. Reis is damn impressive.

This also makes a good point to drop the GL book, which I think I will do. I have no interest in Brightest Day.

Story 5
Art 10

Overall 7.5

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:54 am

Blackest Night #8

I've been told that Final Crisis was a confusing mess. I've been told that Infinite Crisis was a mush of bad art. Blackest Night was neither of these. That's where the praise ends.

I haven't read any of the previous seven issues but I find it hard to believe a whole lot happened in them. Very little was wrapped up here beyond a huge villain being killed by a hell of a lot of heroes and a glowing white deus ex machina. A glowing white deus ex machina that was defeated once not three pages before it went on to save the day. Lots of rings and colours was followed by a seemingly random clutch of resurrections and then some nods toward past continuity. Nostaligia? In a Geoff Johns comic? Really? Was there a single sub-plot in here? At the end of the day the good guys won, the bad guys lost and the next year or so of Green Lantern and DCU stories is teed up.

The art's nice though. Lots of familiar characters get lots of rainbow coloured redesigns and every panel is clear as (brightest?) day. It's exactly what you'd want from DC big event art with clarity and competence easily overcoming the slightly generic nature of the art.

This was a very ordinary comic executed as well as can be expected for this sort of thing. Blackest Night is obviously not my kind of comic so that probably had a lot to do with my apathy, and the final score should reflect that.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Punchy wrote:I've never seen a comic described as cheeky! I like it.

I thought it fit here, wouldn't you agree?

Now I'm Punchy-approved :-D

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand