Advertisement

Review Group Week 216 - BLACKEST NIGHT #8

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:I thought it fit here, wouldn't you agree?

Now I'm Punchy-approved :-D

I haven't read it yet. I think some Jeph Loeb comics could be described as cheeky, Rulk is very cheeky.

Advertisement

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:55 pm

Punchy wrote:I haven't read it yet. I think some Jeph Loeb comics could be described as cheeky, Rulk is very cheeky.

I would agree. Now I question the cheekiness of this issue...

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:21 pm

I'd love to have a right go at this for being revisionist bullshit, which it totally is, but honestly, if you gave me the keys to the DCU, damn right I'd find a way to bring MY favourite characters back, so I can't really fault Johns on it.
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:27 pm

Read it last night in my new bedroom after everybody was asleep. I shall review it soon but I did enjoy it. After the horrible train wreck of a book that used to be called Amazing Spider-Man and now should be called Awefully Sucky Spider-Man, this was a nice change of pace.

Also, I don't see people's opinions as hate, they just like different things then the rest of us with good taste actually like. It doesn't mean the are haters or bad people, just uneducated douche bags.

nah, just kidding. you people who didn't care for this aren't uneducated at all. :P

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Blackest Night #8

Having not read the middle six issues of this event, reading this there was a decided lack of emotional investment on my part which is kind of essential for enjoying event comics. As a result, this couldn't resolve itself soon enough. Lots of stuff happened and it seemed pretty straight forward for the most part, it just didn't click for me as a casual DC reader. As for how the dead got brought back, eh, whatever. At least it's somewhat better than Superboy punching a wall.

The art was technically good, but those big splash pages with a million characters only really work if you're George Perez, IMO. The gatefold was also pretty anti-climatic. You're going to go to all that trouble for a 4 page spread and when you open it up it's just a bunch of people standing there? :lol:

Story: 4
Art: 7
Overall: 5.5

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:15 pm

This was crap... maybe I needed to read the issues 2-7 to enjoy it. I will reread but as a single issue comic, I did not enjoy this at all.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:20 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:This was crap... maybe I needed to read the issues 2-7 to enjoy it. I will reread but as a single issue comic, I did not enjoy this at all.

It boils down to this. Either you love the fanwank fest that the book is... because even its most fervent fans will admit that it is all about the cool moments, the story is kind of shite or you realize that it is an at best slightly better than average mini and thus must be a hater for not thinking it is the best comic ever. At the end of the day, the ending sucks, honestly makes very little sense in terms of direction or logic, and was the most disappointing read I have had in a long time. I honestly feel that Blackest Night makes Final Crisis seem brilliant and don't see how the random nonsensical story is any better then Countdown and to follow it up with a lame event right away seems like a horrible idea.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:22 pm

So..........We all can agree Siege was/is better? :P :twisted:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Kerny wrote:So..........We all can agree Siege was/is better? :P :twisted:

as a DC Fanboy, the sole person in the world that enjoyed Countdown... The defender of Final Crisis himself... yes Siege is a katrillion times better than Blackest Night.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:34 pm

thefourthman wrote:as a DC Fanboy, the sole person in the world that enjoyed Countdown... The defender of Final Crisis himself... yes Siege is a katrillion times better than Blackest Night.

I have the Countdown issue where Prime heat visions a pregnant Alt Lana Lang. That was awful and hilarious.

FC wasn't that bad

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Kerny
Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:14 am

Shield, IMO

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:31 am

Kerny wrote:Shield, IMO

This is the only correct answer and I say that with the banner that is in my sig. That preview on the front page has me drooling!

Kerny
Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:51 am

thefourthman wrote:This is the only correct answer and I say that with the banner that is in my sig. That preview on the front page has me drooling!

Looks AWESOME!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:09 am

Okay folks, this may end up Punchy levels of length on this review so bear with me here. (not to mention I may gain the ire of fourthy and Twigg here.)

Blackest Night #8

Story by Geoff Johns
Art by Ivan Reis

Resurection, death and nods to the classic stories of the past have been the MO and over all tone for DC editorial for the last decade. Whether it was bringing Olliver Queen back from the dead, raising the Green lanterns corps back up to prominence or restoring Joe Chill as the original killer of Bruce Wayne's parents, we have been inendated with a technique that I like to refer to as "going back two steps backwards in order to add in new things to old stories."

With that being said in my personal opinion, Green lantern and Green Lantern Corps have really become part of the foundation of the current line of DCU books. Sadly Blackest Night had to be pulled out of those books for the most part and dragged into it's own limited series which had the count of almost 80 books in total. (Mind you stuff like Doom patrol, Booster Gold and others just loosely tied in to the main series)

This last issue feels to me similar to House of M and Secret Invasions last issues, where major characters returned to prominence. (Hank Pym, Clint barton Nick Fury and others in that example.)

Here is where the problems start to come in though. If you haven't been following all the tie in books, you wouldn't realize what boston Brand had been up to throughout Blackest Night or just what Guy and the corps had been putting up with elsewhere or what exactly Hawk was so pissed off for.

This is a packed comic and it does give us an ending, an ending that was sadly starting to burn out by the end but still an ending. Sinestro losing his powers was telegraphed from the very beginning. (He's Sinestro, of course the idiot's ego is going to be his downfall)

Problems right off the bat for me involve some of the characters coming back, like the original captain boomerang where in my opinion once again his son was one of the real shining moments of Identity Crisis. Johns seemingly destroyed one Boomerang just so he could have the other back and it might be a whiny fanboy moment, but I still can't wrap my head around why.

Osirus being back excites me though as he had one of the strongest tie in issues during the skip month. I also have to commend the art team for that crazy 4 page spread of all the returning characters. That caught me off guard and was a welcomed surprise.

The original JSA hawkgirl being back is odd though and it will be interesting to see where that paid off and as I rant I guess my main point is that those last few reunion pages could have waited to possibly be payed off in other books as they leave way too many questions for a final issue. (What the hell is going on with Jason? Max and Hawk?)

The art was just beautiful throughout the issue and certainly some of the strongest of Ivan Reis career so far. I have to commend the man for being one of a small list of creators to actually finish an event on his own without fill in artists.

The most memorable stuff in the issue is thanks to Larfleeze though in this fans opinion as that orange greedy furball bastard does something very unexpected and I was honestly sick of Nekron barely doing anything by the end of this. For a big bad he wasn't very opposing. I was more worried about the undead anti-monitor.

Story: 8
Art: 10
Event itself: a solid 8

Overall: 8.5

I am really curious about where Brightest Day will take us and what it means for some of these characters involved.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand