Advertisement

Review Group Week 216 - BLACKEST NIGHT #8

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:40 pm

Dragavon wrote:You might be the only one who believes that. Most of us are just disappointed as hell with this book

mileage varies... lots of folks in the shop have been talking about how awesome it was. To each their own. My favorite was Wiggen. He got done reading his copy in the store and flung into a wall crumpling it all up, I looked at him said "you're still paying for that shit, dammit!"

Advertisement

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:40 am

I genuinly can't believe people liked Blackest Night. I can account for different tastes but this book made no sense, had no strong narative and full of lame concepts (ok I can see people liking them I suppose) not to mention the horrendous dialogue. I can't believe some people are happy with this in a comic.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:48 am

Jubilee wrote:I genuinly can't believe people liked Blackest Night. I can account for different tastes but this book made no sense, had no strong narative and full of lame concepts (ok I can see people liking them I suppose) not to mention the horrendous dialogue. I can't believe some people are happy with this in a comic.

I can see why people like it, it has that Summer Popcorn feel, where every few pages there's a memorable moment, it's like Transformers 2, loud, exciting, but when you stop and think about it, ultimately disappointing.

Siege is like Star Trek or Iron Man, loud, exciting, but not stupid.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:51 am

Blackest Night was like Transformers yes, but not aimed at kids, and didn't have such a crappy resurection plot!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:53 am

Jubilee wrote:Blackest Night was like Transformers yes, but not aimed at kids, and didn't have such a crappy resurection plot!

Are you saying Transformers is better than Blackest Night? You're going to get bashed!

I suppose Transformers did have Megan Fox, all this had was some fish-lady :lol:

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:04 am

Not my review, but I thought this issue was very flashy. A few problems, and I felt like the series as a whole could've been 6 issues. It started off really well, and didn't really go with that momentum. The art has been consistently fantastic though.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 101 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:34 am

Jubilee wrote:I genuinly can't believe people liked Blackest Night. I can account for different tastes but this book made no sense, had no strong narative and full of lame concepts (ok I can see people liking them I suppose) not to mention the horrendous dialogue. I can't believe some people are happy with this in a comic.

i'm going to put this in big capitol letters becase i hate when you do this:

NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME DAMN TASTE!

blackest night has a strong narrative and is a fun read, sadly it's not as strong as sinestro corps but that's because it was no longer self contained as originally planned.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:49 am

narrative isn't really a subjective thing though.

Blackest Night #1-8 is a little weak in narrative and #8 especially feels like a bunch of moments thrown together haphazardly... motivations are wierd and somethings are nigh incomprehensible, I'll be honest I have no fucking clue what happens with Guy and Max - that's a sign of weak narrative.

That being said, I can understand why the folks that like this like this... it's the same thing as why I loved the hell our of Final Crisis, those were the awesome moments I wanted to see, here not so much. both have massive problems with narrative structure.

That being said, i am not reading, nor will read all twelve hundred tie-ins (sic - hyperbole, dammit, bite me)... but when I have read a few (especially GLC and GL), it has helped the narrative be more complete.

The biggest difference between Sinestro Corps and BN, is that you could concievably read GLC or GL and get the whole picture. Here not so much. There are big gaps in between almost every issue of BN and it harms it. That is a narrative problem. Now how big of a problem of it is going to be related to two things, your subjective opinion of that problem, and whether or not you read more BN banner books.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:53 am

Blackest Night on it's own does not have a good narrative, Hal Jordan, the main character, isn't in the book for one whole chapter, he just up and disappears. Now those in the know can go get Green Lantern #46 and other issues, but the main mini doesn't hold together by itself.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:54 am

Punchy wrote:Blackest Night on it's own does not have a good narrative, Hal Jordan, the main character, isn't in the book for one whole chapter, he just up and disappears. Now those in the know can go get Green Lantern #46 and other issues, but the main mini doesn't hold together by itself.

this.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 101 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:54 am

if you were just reading glc, gl and blackest night you had all the pieces you needed. the narrative was there.

the problem was that instead of keeping this in it's own books editorial made it a line wide event which hurt things in the long run.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:56 am

thefourthman wrote:this.

Add to that the disappearance of Kyle, Guy and John after #1 until the end of #7, it's the definition of a crossover relying on it's tie-ins too much, something Marvel crossovers are often accused of. Siege seems to standalone pretty well, the tie-ins are filling in back-story.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:57 am

doombug wrote:if you were just reading glc, gl and blackest night you had all the pieces you needed. the narrative was there.

the problem was that instead of keeping this in it's own books editorial made it a line wide event which hurt things in the long run.

then it should have not been Blackest Night... they should have done it some other way.

They have a book called Blackest Night #1-8. That book, in and of itself, has a weak narrative. The Event Blackest Night, not so much.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:58 am

thefourthman wrote:then it should have not been Blackest Night... they should have done it some other way.

They have a book called Blackest Night #1-8. That book, in and of itself, has a weak narrative. The Event Blackest Night, not so much.

Here's the thing, are we reviewing the book? the event? or just #8?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:01 pm

Punchy wrote:Here's the thing, are we reviewing the book? the event? or just #8?

I reviewed #8, it was a nigh incomprehensible book with awkward dialogue that was hella unsatisfying.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand