Tuesday, December 18, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Where keepin' it real goes wrong."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Call For Reviews: S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:16 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Yeah, the bidding is starting on the B&W at $6, I feel awful. :-D

This is not the ebay thread.

Some of us buy comics to keep, not sell on.

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:18 am

Punchy wrote:This is not the ebay thread.

Some of us buy comics to keep, not sell on.

I have a nice color copy coming in my BOC, fool. :roll:

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:29 am

Spicy Dick wrote::lol:

I think your new webcomic should be titled "Rough Trades".

At least Starlord'll probably get the joke.

:shock: :smt044 :smt023

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:34 am

starlord wrote::shock: :smt044 :smt023

:-D I was in good form yesterday. It really is fun to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women! :D

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:35 am

Spicy Dick wrote:The best book out last week, hands down, HATE Annual #8.

review it!

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:38 am

thefourthman wrote:review it!

That'd be fun! I'll try to make some time for it this weekend. My other favorite book was Weird World of Jack Staff #2.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:44 am

Spicy Dick wrote:That'd be fun! I'll try to make some time for it this weekend. My other favorite book was Weird World of Jack Staff #2.

review it too!

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:56 am

Hmmm, not sure what I think of S.H.I.E.L.D., it was interesting, but I feel that I'm missing something, when you guys are giving it 10s and such. It's got me excited for what's coming, but as a comic itself, it was lacking.

Must re-read before I review.

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:00 am

Punchy wrote:Hmmm, not sure what I think of S.H.I.E.L.D., it was interesting, but I feel that I'm missing something, when you guys are giving it 10s and such. It's got me excited for what's coming, but as a comic itself, it was lacking.

Must re-read before I review.

:shock: Dear God. This is exactly how I felt the first time I read it. I must reevaluate my life.

;-)

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:01 am

starlord wrote::shock: Dear God. This is exactly how I felt the first time I read it. I must reevaluate my life.

;-)

I'm sure our opinions are only similar because I'm in a bad mood. Once I'm in a better one, I'm sure I'll feel more positive.

Postby ****** » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:05 am

You guys should know by now not to pay any attention to 4thy giving something a 10. :lol:

Maybe we should start putting our scores behind spoiler tags to cut down on expectations (good or bad). That could possibly be a way to preserve a bit of objectivity throughout the week.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:16 am

amlah6 wrote:You guys should know by now not to pay any attention to 4thy giving something a 10. :lol:

Maybe we should start putting our scores behind spoiler tags to cut down on expectations (good or bad). That could possibly be a way to preserve a bit of objectivity throughout the week.

I just stay out of the damn thread or don't read the reviews until mine is written, but what ever.

I will say this, I am not the only person giving it high marks so whatever. It was fantastic and part of a fantastic comic is it making you excited for what comes next. If it does that then it is a great comic, period. Maybe not a ten but very high. Scores are rediculous (just like my abhorrent spelling) anyhow... at the end of the day, SHIELD #1 was the best comic I have read that was a new issue since I got back into them what six years ago now. I loved it, I loved its ideas, I loved what it means for the Marvel Universe, I had not even started to connect the dots of what it means for Hickman's books (but thanks for adding another layer there, dick), and just as importantly, I want to read the next issue now. Certainly it played to things I like a lot, so it was better to me than to others. That's why it gets a ten from me.

That being said, your mileage may vary, but if it does, it is probably time for an oil change.

Postby ****** » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:23 am

thefourthman wrote:I will say this, I am not the only person giving it high marks so whatever.

Just giving you shit you Fred Perry fanboy. :P

Dick gave it a 8.5. On a RG scale that's like an 11.

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:04 pm

S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 - The Unholy Resurrection of Leonardo DaVinci

I haven't enjoyed a lot of first issue of a Marvel comic this much since Runaways popped up a few years ago. That too was a Marvel Universe title I wouldn't have bought were it not for a writer I love. It was also coloured damn well by Christina Strain but I suspect that's a coincidence.

Jonathan Hickman impressed me with Nightly News before blowing me away with Pax Romana. This could be the book that shows everyone else what he can do. Much like Secret Warriors (which it has some clear ties to) this is a book with lots of story to tell but no desire to be rushed. Like his Fantastic Four stories, this was been largely set-up for what's to come but unlike "The World's greatest Comic Magazine" nothing feels missing. It's a first issue that sells us on the concept totally as well as adding a nice little origin tale for the titular organisation. It doesn't spend much time on the characters, but this will come. For now I just want to know more about the secret history of the Marvel universe, so the first issue has done its job.

Since coming to Marvel Hickman's amazing design sensibility has been limited to backmatter and a short piece in Strange Tales but here you can really see his influence in the panel layouts. It's a shame to me he's not drawing the whole thing. Luckily like Brian Wood over at DC, Hickman has been handed a wonderful artist to put his ideas onto paper. Dustin Weaver is a revelation, grounding the concept with detailed, natural looking art that captures the feel of the book perfectly. While I normally like something a bit more idiosyncratic the chances of Marvel giving us 22 pages of Hickman's art are slim to none so it's a good job that we've got an artist who can pull off DVinci and his pre-steampunk jetpack without it looking even a little silly. Damn good work.

Cute ties to the Marvel universe, a great big hint about the underlying plot of my beloved Secret Warriors and an ending that demands a resolution, this is everything I wanted when Jonathan Hickman came to Marvel. Hopefully everyone else is ready to jump on the wagon.

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:42 pm

oops, double post.

leave a comment with facebook