Monday, June 25, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Now part of a nutrituous breakfast!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Call For Reviews: S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:44 pm

amlah6 wrote:Just giving you shit you Fred Perry fanboy. :P

Dick gave it a 8.5. On a RG scale that's like an 11.

I did like the book! I hope that came across. It could be the beginning of Hickman's best work at Marvel to date and let's hope so. One of the cultural by-products of the way our educational system has tried to protect children's fragile young psyches from any harmful negative "criticism" is that our younger generations interpret the critical eye as inherently negative rather than attentive. Not directed at you, of course, or anyone specifically.

If you want to see a negative attitude, you should've seen the LCS guys. They were talking about it, "Ok. SHIELD is run by Hydra? RIGHT. :roll: No way! No thank you! Leonardo da Vinci is a SHIELD agent? Pfft! I'm not even going to read this."

:lol: It was pretty funny, at least Lee's excited about the book. I bet they all read it several times, though.

Mr_Batman

Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:08 pm

This thread is raging. I hope I can still get a copy of this at my store :?

From what I'm hearing, it's really popular, and I don't think it'll be there...

SuperginraiX

Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:00 pm

Flynn the Pirate

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Review of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
Writer:
Jonathan Hickman
Art: Jonathan Hickman, Dustin Weaver, and Christina Strain

I had to re-read this book a couple of times before I made this attempt at reviewing it. Not because I did not understand what was going on in it, though it is definitely clear that there is going to be some very heady shenanigans indeed from this book. No, I had to reread this several times because I had to see if I missed anything that might make this book the "WOW" book I was so hoping it would be.

It does not seem that I did.

Is S.H.I.E.L.D. bad? No, not by any stretch of the imagination. But I think Hickman, in the relatively short time he has been at Marvel, has set the bar so high that there were expectations, including my own, that this was going to be a lot better than I found it to be. I was expecting, like Secret Warriors or his run on Fantastic Four, a bang right out of the gate. Instead, it seems that he's going for a slow simmer. And there's nothing wrong with that, necessarily. It's just not what I was expecting.

I was also not quite prepared to have so much of what another reviewer called "high ideas" to be present. Again, maybe that's my own expectations based on his other work on Secret Warriors and the very name of the book. Several comparisons have been made between this book and Planetary. Certainly, it feels more like a Warren Ellis book than a Hickman book, which in turn makes me wonder just what it is we're in for with this. I know, I know... that's probably the point.

Anyway, this was a pretty standard first issue. Our ostensible main character is introduced, though we know almost nothing about him or his father or what powers he seems to have. The presence of The Shield throughout time is an interesting idea and part of me wants to see more of this, but only if it is actually relevant. As this is a first issue, that remains to be seen, though I have no reason to suspect he has this all worked out.

The art was quite good, though sometimes I think the use of lighting was too heavy-handed. Seeing it reminded of watching a J.J. Abrahms movie where a light from behind the character or alongside the character is constantly being flashed in the viewer's eyes. But other than that, no complaints.

On the whole, a descent book. Not the greatest thing nor as good as I went into it thinking it would be, but definitely enough here to get me interested in the series.

7 out of 10

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:44 pm

SuperginraiX wrote:Image

:? Not sure how I should react to this. Slightly convoluted dialogue as well as the "poor doombug" thing.

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Shield #1

Story by Jonathan Hickman
Art by Dustin Weaver

"This is not how the world ends."

With those magic words we are taken through several points in time with such visionary men as Leonardo Da Vinci to an ancient egyptian king known as Imhotep fighting an army of creatures we haven't seen for a while. Each point in time is beautifully drawn as we see important men fighting to save the world from well known threats in the marvel universe over time.

Hickman plays with continuity in a fun way here, throwing everything and the kitchen sink in and as a reader you can't help but be sucked in. It's setting up a mystery as well as apparently one of the biggest secrets ever to be had in the marvel U.

We follow the journey through time via the eyes of a man who seems to be powered. His name is Leonid and he seems to be very important to the way things will go in the series. Seeing who I am assuming are possibly the fathers/godfathers of Tony Stark and Reed Richards is a bit confusing at first but I got used to it by the final few pages of the story.

Leonid himself seems to be cosmically powered by the way he flashes stars on his own body, I'm not sure if this was an art choice or he really is as I swear some dialogue hints differently and leads me to believe he's powered.

To me this feels like early Venture brothers history and a little of what Mike Carey is doing in the unwritten, it's using history and melding it in a fun way with history that doesn't feel at all forced to me.

I really believe the Night Machine could possibly be Nikolai Tesla, but I am not 100 percent on that theory. All of the mystery and excitement leads me to be very involved in what happens next, especially do to that last page.

Dustin's artwork is incredible and this is the hell of a way to start his career. He's certainly the luckiest guy in the business right now and I cannot wait to see what else awaits this promising upstart.

This isn't a cape book, it's not a mystery series, it's not even an action book. What it is is exactly what it promises, the secret history of SHIELD and so far, that is a journey this reader wants to be a part of.

Story: 10
Art: 10
Over all: 10

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Punchy wrote:I'm sure our opinions are only similar because I'm in a bad mood. Once I'm in a better one, I'm sure I'll feel more positive.

If there was a "Blackest Night" label across the top, starlord would have given it an 11.

[spoiler] :P [/spoiler]

SuperginraiX

Outhouse Editor

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:22 pm

doombug wrote::? Not sure how I should react to this. Slightly convoluted dialogue as well as the "poor doombug" thing.

I'm not as good at repurposing strips as Jude is. Maybe in time...

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:26 pm

sdsichero wrote:If there was a "Blackest Night" label across the top, starlord would have given it an 11.

[spoiler] :P [/spoiler]

oh that's funny... :roll:

;-)

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:Review of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
Writer:
Jonathan Hickman
Art: Jonathan Hickman, Dustin Weaver, and Christina Strain

I had to re-read this book a couple of times before I made this attempt at reviewing it. Not because I did not understand what was going on in it, though it is definitely clear that there is going to be some very heady shenanigans indeed from this book. No, I had to reread this several times because I had to see if I missed anything that might make this book the "WOW" book I was so hoping it would be.

It does not seem that I did.

Is S.H.I.E.L.D. bad? No, not by any stretch of the imagination. But I think Hickman, in the relatively short time he has been at Marvel, has set the bar so high that there were expectations, including my own, that this was going to be a lot better than I found it to be. I was expecting, like Secret Warriors or his run on Fantastic Four, a bang right out of the gate. Instead, it seems that he's going for a slow simmer. And there's nothing wrong with that, necessarily. It's just not what I was expecting.

I was also not quite prepared to have so much of what another reviewer called "high ideas" to be present. Again, maybe that's my own expectations based on his other work on Secret Warriors and the very name of the book. Several comparisons have been made between this book and Planetary. Certainly, it feels more like a Warren Ellis book than a Hickman book, which in turn makes me wonder just what it is we're in for with this. I know, I know... that's probably the point.

Anyway, this was a pretty standard first issue. Our ostensible main character is introduced, though we know almost nothing about him or his father or what powers he seems to have. The presence of The Shield throughout time is an interesting idea and part of me wants to see more of this, but only if it is actually relevant. As this is a first issue, that remains to be seen, though I have no reason to suspect he has this all worked out.

The art was quite good, though sometimes I think the use of lighting was too heavy-handed. Seeing it reminded of watching a J.J. Abrahms movie where a light from behind the character or alongside the character is constantly being flashed in the viewer's eyes. But other than that, no complaints.

On the whole, a descent book. Not the greatest thing nor as good as I went into it thinking it would be, but definitely enough here to get me interested in the series.

7 out of 10

Just out of curiosity, had you read any of his out put from Image prior to him doing Secret Warriors and FF, cause this is somewhere in between in the idea department.

Btw, nice review.

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:34 pm

starlord wrote:oh that's funny... :roll:

;-)
It's funny 'cause it's true. :twisted:

Flynn the Pirate

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:02 pm

thefourthman wrote:Just out of curiosity, had you read any of his out put from Image prior to him doing Secret Warriors and FF, cause this is somewhere in between in the idea department.

Btw, nice review.

Actually, I have not. Secret Warriors was my first exposure to him.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:04 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:Actually, I have not. Secret Warriors was my first exposure to him.

Pax Romana is all big Idea, so much so that the Huge Idea that was the ending left many readers puzzled, I had people asking when the next issue came out for about three months.

Flynn the Pirate

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:08 pm

thefourthman wrote:Pax Romana is all big Idea, so much so that the Huge Idea that was the ending left many readers puzzled, I had people asking when the next issue came out for about three months.

So is it worth checking out?

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:08 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:Actually, I have not. Secret Warriors was my first exposure to him.
His stuff's great. Pax Romana's great, Nightly News and Transhuman were a lot of fun, and his Fantastic Four stuff's pretty good from what I read.

leave a comment with facebook