Advertisement

Call For Reviews: S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:19 pm

Zero wrote:Image

Also doombug, if he's Tesla then can I plz have a RASL crossover? With Bowie in it? That would be an unholy uber comic and I would love it.

Whoa... freaky, I am wearing that T-shirt at this very moment

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Kerny wrote:They are the Spear

Something in one of the back matters in Secret Warriors has Hydra as the spear, and I think there's a line from the Baron saying something about being the spear too.

The Shield (the actual shield) stayed in the West, the spear went to the East to I assume somehow fall to The Hand & Hydra or simply that sect becomes Hydra/Hand/Whatever.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:47 pm

I guess I should probably read this now, huh? :oops:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:44 pm

amlah6 wrote:I guess I should probably read this now, huh? :oops:

Sorry, is it not Japanese enough for you? Too few robot detectives and young Asian boys, eh?

Don't think you're impressing anyone by not reading SHIELD.

Postby ****** » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Sorry, is it not Japanese enough for you? Too few robot detectives and young Asian boys, eh?

Don't think you're impressing anyone by not reading SHIELD.

My euro comic avatar says otherwise. No doubt the Facebooks would love me with an avatar like this one.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:57 pm

amlah6 wrote:My euro comic avatar says otherwise. No doubt the Facebooks would love me with an avatar like this one.

What's next, Fly-face, nothing but Australian-aboriginal chapbooks printed on bark? Single-panel "Love Is.." cave drawings from the Igbo Jewish tribe of Africa?!

:smt011

Postby ****** » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:26 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:What's next, Fly-face, nothing but Australian-aboriginal chapbooks printed on bark? Single-panel "Love Is.." cave drawings from the Igbo Jewish tribe of Africa?!

:smt011

Only if I can get the slipcase edition with the art presented on replica slabs.

That Humbug book looks pimp, btw.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:32 pm

amlah6 wrote:Only if I can get the slipcase edition with the art presented on replica slabs.

That Humbug book looks pimp, btw.

I think that's on the list for tomorrow, I've never seen that stuff and it may not get reprinted.

That reminds me, SPACE is coming up here, check it out--you'd like it:

http://www.backporchcomics.com/space.htm

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Holy shit! Guy Davis is gonna be there!

And Megan Corby! :smt112

Oh gosh, and of course Lora Innes. :oops:

Sexy ink-smeared vixens!

Well, not Guy...
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby ****** » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:41 pm

S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

I <3 Jonathan Hickman, I really do. I got kind of pissy about him stepping away from his creator owned work, but I love Secret Warriors (Hurry up with the v2 tp already Marvel!) and I've warmed up to his FF. This comic though feels like the first time he's really bringing that attitude and approach from his earlier works and fully integrating it into a Marvel comic and it thoroughly kicks ass. Celestials, Galactus and DiVinci indeed! Lots of fun big ideas and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all takes shape.

Dustin Weaver was pretty awesome on X-Men: Kingbreaker but he's working on another level here. Some of the layouts and panel design felt very Hickman so it would seem that he possibly had some hand in that, but Weaver's art meshed with it amazingly well. The only way the book could have looked more perfect is if there had been a more tech based font, the standard font Klein used here feels woefully out of place.

Hope this gets a good long run, maybe if Hickman shoehorns in Wolverine and Spider-Man he can get 5-6 years. :wink:

Story: 10
Art: 9
Overall: 9.5

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Don't have a lot of time for this review, The High concept of this book is intriguing and I will definitely be buying the trade because I want to see where everything goes but in one issue the story goes far too many places and leaves me the reader wanting more of pocy in egypt and more renaissance galactus. I get neither and instead looks like we're heading towards this 1950's story with characters we're not introduced to. The art however is just so amazing that it helps you forget any story issues you might have and ultimately sky rockets this stories score.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:15 pm

amlah6 wrote:S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

I <3 Jonathan Hickman, I really do. I got kind of pissy about him stepping away from his creator owned work, but I love Secret Warriors (Hurry up with the v2 tp already Marvel!) and I've warmed up to his FF. This comic though feels like the first time he's really bringing that attitude and approach from his earlier works and fully integrating it into a Marvel comic and it thoroughly kicks ass. Celestials, Galactus and DiVinci indeed! Lots of fun big ideas and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all takes shape.

Dustin Weaver was pretty awesome on X-Men: Kingbreaker but he's working on another level here. Some of the layouts and panel design felt very Hickman so it would seem that he possibly had some hand in that, but Weaver's art meshed with it amazingly well. The only way the book could have looked more perfect is if there had been a more tech based font, the standard font Klein used here feels woefully out of place.

Hope this gets a good long run, maybe if Hickman shoehorns in Wolverine and Spider-Man he can get 5-6 years. :wink:

Story: 10
Art: 9
Overall: 9.5

I could see James being used at some point. We already had agent richards and agent stark so obviously we could get a parker as well.

It wouldn't feel forced either, it would make sense that all these characters parents and grandparents were influential years before they were born. 8)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:42 am

Peter Parker's parents were established as Agents Of SHIELD back in the 90s.

Postby ****** » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:53 am

Punchy wrote:Peter Parker's parents were established as Agents Of SHIELD back in the 90s.

Untold Tales of Spider-Man #-1 FTW!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 952 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:26 am

SHIELD Review

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book, as it is, of course, a unique concept. I have recently gotten into Hickman's Secret Warriors, and I haven't read any of his indie stuff, so to me he's a new creator, one who is unproven. Hickman proves himself with S.H.I.E.L.D., creating something far greater than anyone could have expected. Based on that alone, I would score this book very highly, but this is not how the review ends.

Based on the previews and promotion for this book, I was expecting an interesting story set in the past. I knew that it had something to do with Leonardo Da Vinci, and that perhaps he was a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. Nothing incredibly groundbreaking, but certainly a fun concept. This book, however, is much much more than that. It featured tales of historical figures, important both in real world history and Marvel Universe history, saving the world from various threats throughout time, and established a history for S.H.I.E.L.D. going back to Ancient Egypt. Delivering on the expectations of the book is good enough to secure an excellent score, but this is not how the review ends.

What the book did on the surface was only a small part of the story. The true ambition of this book is to give purpose and meaning to the entire history of the Marvel Universe, tying together events and characters to turn all of Marvel history into one massive, connected story. This is a grand purpose indeed, and one that may seem impossible to attempt, but Hickman is off to a good start. A glorious purpose such as this would win any first issue a 10 out of 10, but as you can see by the paragraph below, this is not how the review ends.

I will definitely be following this series to see Hickman attempt this feat. I'll be paying even more attention to Secret Warriors. I'll probably check out Fantastic Four to see how that might tie in. I may even go back and pick up some of Hickman's indie stuff. All of this excitement and anticipation from the first issue of a comic is what really makes this book great. It makes me want to read more comics. That alone would be good enough for any one book, but this is not how the review ends.

Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D. succeeds on every level, and it is a grand enough book to exist on many levels at once. It delivers a satisfying story, it aims for a grand purpose, it sets the stage for things to come, and it hooks the reader. The perfect comic book.

10 of 10
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand