Advertisement

Do you read Indie comics?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Do you?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes : 12

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu May 04, 2006 1:29 am

I was reading Vertgo before I was reading the superhero stuff, it's not too scary. As for indie books, they tend to be a bit hit and miss, and they're often going for a niche market. As long as you start out trying what people recommend (30 Days Of Night - do it) then eventually recognising name's you've read before gets pretty easy. This FCBD pick up some of the indie anthology comics, and go from there.

Advertisement

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby David Bird » Tue May 09, 2006 4:11 pm

"Indie" meant independent of the big publishers. Essentially, creator owned. So small publishers like Image and Dark Horse - as well as Oni IDW, etc -- could and should be called "indie." I just use "small publisher" myself.

Vertigo doesn't count as DC owns it, and most, if not all, the properties it publishes. Actually, who does own titles like Y and DMZ? I know DC owns Sandman, Swamp Thing, Constantine (and Watchmen, V for Vendetta), etc. Vertigo seems a mixed bag rights-wise, but it is a DC imprint and so isn't an "indie".

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue May 09, 2006 4:41 pm

Vaughn and Guerra own Y
Azz and Risso own 100 Bullets
Morrison owns The Invisibles

It depends. DC owns all rights to characters and titles that were previously DC Comics titles, so Sandman and whatnot. I'm not sure how they do their rights now, but there is a lot of creator ownership.

But yeah, it's not an indie. I think they were using Wildstorm as their prominent creator-owned label.
SHABBA!

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby David Bird » Tue May 09, 2006 9:17 pm

Small publisher titles I get:

From Archaia Studios Press, I’m getting Mouse Guard. From Dark Horse: B.P.R.D., Hellboy, and Goon. My Image list has really grown on late Fear Agent, Fell, Godland, Rocketo (though I am waiting on my order for the trade before starting). And Casanova and Liberty Meadows are on my pull list. Markosia’s Lexian Chronicles is too, though I don’t know whats happening with it.

I recently dropped Following Cerebus because I was two issues behind in my reading. And Rex Libris. I like the idea and I love Nil, but it just wasn’t doing it for me.

This is about half the comics I get. When I couple of minis winds down they will definitely be in the majority.

alan reut
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 0 post

Postby alan reut » Mon May 15, 2006 6:21 am

Currently the only indie I read is the Cerebus phone book collections.

I used to read Bone but stopped a looooong time ago....I remember once seeing the whole thing collected in one volume but I can't find it anywhere now.

and I hear this other thing called "Tutela" is real nifty too... ;-)

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand