Advertisement

Review Group Week 218 - KILL SHAKESPEARE #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:35 pm

I actually managed to wrangle this one up... I also got SHIELD and will read and review that tonight or tomorrow.

Advertisement

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Just posted my SHIELD #1 review in it's respected thread. Good stuff, I really liked it... gonna read this one now.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:16 pm

So my shop did have 1 copy left of this.

After reading it, I didn't like it much at all.

Review later.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:28 pm

who hath been unsuccessful
in obtaining a copy of this comic
the man with the pick has been dutiful
in assuring that his nom only is dick?
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:18 pm

amlah6 wrote:I'm assuming since this is an IDW book and a lot of people's shops suck, there will be more than a few "my shop didn't have this" posts this week.

The first person who can't find Kill Shakespeare that wants it, I will send you my copy. Just post here or PM me.

No way am I getting saddled with another shitty idw book. Like Locke and Key. I threw that shit away.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:21 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:No way am I getting saddled with another shitty idw book. Like Locke and Key. I threw that shit away.

the fault there lies not in the book
but your incapacity to like it midway
from the beginning it is worth a look
yet instead you sound angry and gay.

What's funny is this would be free
a kindred spirit would give it for the same fee.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 18 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:31 pm

I wonder if this book got much press in the U.K.? The reason I ask is that online sales are extra brisk in Britain for some reason.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:33 pm

Spicy Dickspeare wrote:I wonder if this book got much press in the U.K.? The reason I ask is that online sales are extra brisk in Britain for some reason.

perhaps, more likely the answer at hand
is that it tis the bard's homeland.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:19 pm

thefourthman wrote:the fault there lies not in the book
but your incapacity to like it midway
from the beginning it is worth a look
yet instead you sound angry and gay.

What's funny is this would be free
a kindred spirit would give it for the same fee.

I could just skull fuck you. Now that is angry and gay.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:25 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I could just skull fuck you. Now that is angry and gay.

Alas, poor Fourthick.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:51 pm

Maybe when you compare your comic to Fables, LoEG, and Northlanders you are setting your reader up for disappointment, those are some big shoes to fill. The first issue of Kill Shakespeare needs some smaller shoes, but hey--it's just a first issue, right? I mean, how much can you expect? Yeah, that might've worked in the SHIELD #1 thread, but less so here. The first page is suitably intriguing and mysterious, but the long section that follows showing Hamlet's flight squanders a lot of pages that should be hooking the reader. the ideas are strong, the execution makes them seem less interesting than they should be.

I really liked the art, minus a couple of faces. I think the panel compositions are tight, and the heavily outlined rich colors remind me of those private galleries in Japan where they display the flayed skins of tattooed artwork after death. I can imagine a lot of the artwork here worn proudly by some eltopo somewhere, then maybe making its way to some private collector in Tokyo to store in a climate-controlled human humidor. Nice work, Ian Herring and Andy Bellanger.

This could be a fun book, but there's just no hook here. I'll at least take a look at the next issue, but it will probably have to be a fairly light week if I'm to buy it. IDW's taking a lot of chances, and sooner or later they will hit a homerun.

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 17 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:05 pm

well my shop actually sold out of this.

I mean really its only thursday! they must have had like 4 copies

:evil: :evil:

eventually I'll get to make my return review. though I did post a review to BN #8 amlah.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Sire v 2.0 wrote:well my shop actually sold out of this.

I mean really its only thursday! they must have had like 4 copies

:evil: :evil:

eventually I'll get to make my return review. though I did post a review to BN #8 amlah.

PM 4thy, he'll hook you up with Kill Shakespeare.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Spicy Dickspeare wrote:Maybe when you compare your comic to Fables, LoEG, and Northlanders you are setting your reader up for disappointment, those are some big shoes to fill. The first issue of Kill Shakespeare needs some smaller shoes, but hey--it's just a first issue, right? I mean, how much can you expect? Yeah, that might've worked in the SHIELD #1 thread, but less so here. The first page is suitably intriguing and mysterious, but the long section that follows showing Hamlet's flight squanders a lot of pages that should be hooking the reader. the ideas are strong, the execution makes them seem less interesting than they should be.

Spot on.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:06 am

My store didn't get this in.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand