Advertisement

Call For Reviews: X-Men Forever Annual

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:05 pm

No Twiggs For Terror wrote:I could have?

still could, but now you have to pay for it - last week they were free! to review group members who were unable to obtain one. There were three copies up for grabs. Amlah gave one away and no one bit on the other two. We even mentioned it several times and had a last call on saturday - i didn't even take care of what HOJ had done behind the scenes until Monday - so conceivably there was a two day reprieve on the deadline as set forth... now it is too late and I don't feel generous. :p :x
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:07 pm

I still have an extra copy. :(

Well, 2 really.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:24 pm

ITT: Jude doesn't bother to read Review Group threads on non XMF weeks. :x

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:30 pm

PS I paid almost $5 for this sǐ pì yǎn X-Men book, because the point of a review group is participation. Between the people who only want to review what they like, and the people who bitch about other people's picks, this is just about becoming the lamest review group ever.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:PS I paid almost $5 for this sǐ pì yǎn X-Men book, because the point of a review group is participation. Between the people who only want to review what they like, and the people who bitch about other people's picks, this is just about becoming the lamest review group ever.

I bought and reviewed your book. :(

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Kerny wrote:I bought and reviewed your book. :(

Thanks, I know and appreciate it!

I promise to do the same.

:-)

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:17 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:PS I paid almost $5 for this sǐ pì yǎn X-Men book, because the point of a review group is participation. Between the people who only want to review what they like, and the people who bitch about other people's picks, this is just about becoming the lamest review group ever.

In my case, I'm unemployed, so I have to be very conscious of what I can afford to buy and what I can't.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 236 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm sorry but if I don't like a book the first time and it's still the same writer on that book, I'm not shelling out 5 dollars to be dissapointed again.

if i could go back in time, i'd bring the good claremont back.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1046 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:54 pm

I'd love to review every single book we do. It's not a bias thing. It's an I never go to the comic shop and only get my comics once a month thing. AND my comic shop kinda isn't very good at having obscure stuff (or even technically the stuff they know I'm going to order, which makes me kinda question why I don't just switch to DCBS, but I have some weird loyalty). If I were to give up on this loyalty, I would find my comic buying experience cheaper, easier and faster, but that's the kind of guy I am. I've shopped at the same place for 20 years, and moving an hour away from it hasn't stopped me from continuing to do so... yet.

In any case, if someone has a copy of Kill Shakespeare, I will pay you for it.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:08 am

how many actual reviews have we had on this book so far?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 226 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:33 am

starlord wrote:how many actual reviews have we had on this book so far?

2 and a score. Jude broke the group, imo. I hope he is proud of himself.

You know what everyone could do, they could just buy and read Area 10 and discuss it, I think there is still a link in my sig... that would teach that rat bastard webmaster!
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:41 am

No Twiggs For Terror wrote:I'd love to review every single book we do. It's not a bias thing. It's an I never go to the comic shop and only get my comics once a month thing. AND my comic shop kinda isn't very good at having obscure stuff (or even technically the stuff they know I'm going to order, which makes me kinda question why I don't just switch to DCBS, but I have some weird loyalty). If I were to give up on this loyalty, I would find my comic buying experience cheaper, easier and faster, but that's the kind of guy I am. I've shopped at the same place for 20 years, and moving an hour away from it hasn't stopped me from continuing to do so... yet.

In any case, if someone has a copy of Kill Shakespeare, I will pay you for it.

Siege: Secret Warriors

$3

Big 2 comic.

Just sayin' (for next week)

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:09 am

X-MEN FOREVER ANNUAL #1
This was an okay, not a big X-Men fan so that is saying a lot. I did really enjoy the art though and I thought the coloring was great. I guess this is a story which takes place prior to where the book currently is which is weird considering this whole series takes place in the past or whatever. Anyways it is the story of the beginning of Jean and Logan's secret romance and ninjas!
My main complaint is Claremont's over usage of thought bubbles having to spell out every little detail of the plot but it still reads okay I guess. It was about as good as the last X-Men Forever book we reviewed, in the end it is just not my thing but that could be more of a me refusing to get involved in anything X-Men oriented. I would write more but I didn't love this enough to gush and I didn't hate it enough to tear it apart.

STORY - 5.5

ART - 8.5

OVERALL - 7

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1046 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:32 am

I like thought bubbles. I feel the lack of them is not using the medium of comics to its fullest potential. Here's what Claremont had to say on the matter in our interview with him:

The difference between comics in the twenty-first century and comics when I was originally writing is that, when Stan (Lee) was publisher, when Roy (Thomas) was Editor, when Archie (Goodwin) was editor, this was very much a literary medium, where the relationships and the structure were derived much more from publishing. Now it's perceived as akin to a video medium, and the attitudes and the structures are derived from TV series. That's part of the rationale behind the disapproval of captions and, to a large extent, of thought balloons. You don't have thought balloons or captions in movies or on TV. Therefore, we should not have them in comics because our model is theoretically the teleplay or the film script. That's the structural reality that we within the business face.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:02 am

My store had plenty of old Claremont X-Men back-issues, all for £2, so I just chose the one with the best cover:

So I'll get a review of that up later this week-end.

I also found a copy of Kill Shakespeare, so I'll do that one too.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand