Advertisement

Call For Reviews: X-Men Forever Annual

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:09 pm

I'll be posting my review probably really late since I have a 5 page paper due before class and then I have class...then god I hate school.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:37 am

Bad Jude. Maybe it's because I didn't read comics 20 years ago but why are there so many thought balloons? Characters can just do they don't need to narrate. I will go ahead and spare you the frustration of reading my review because it was awful and the art looked barely finished.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman

Happy Pony Day!

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:36 am

So, if I had a new thread for the new book I could post my review now, but if I don't have one soon, it will have to wait until after work. :(
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 17 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:37 am

What's the book? I honestly don't remember.

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:38 am

I was going to post reviews of Claremonts old issues, but I might just do it in another thread, there was no way I could have got comics this week.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:42 am

Spicy Dick wrote:What's the book? I honestly don't remember.

Siege: Secret Warriors

I'll get started on the thread here in a couple of minutes.

thefourthman

Happy Pony Day!

Postby thefourthman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:43 am

Spicy Dick wrote:What's the book? I honestly don't remember.

That's okay, I read like Saturday... :lol:
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:45 am

thefourthman wrote:That's okay, I read like Saturday... :lol:

I don't get it.

thefourthman

Happy Pony Day!

Postby thefourthman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:48 am

Spicy Dick wrote:I don't get it.

MRRC, I just got Marvel's books for next week. :p

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:49 am

thefourthman wrote:MRRC, I just got Marvel's books for next week. :p

Too bad you didn't get any good books then.

thefourthman

Happy Pony Day!

Postby thefourthman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:52 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Too bad you didn't get any good books then.

I like the spidey book... but yeah next week kind of sucks for them!

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:20 am

X-Men Forever Annual review

X-Men forever is one of those books that people either love or hate and there's not much room in the middle. I really enjoyed the first several issues but then I just didn't have the time to keep up so I have been slacking on my reading. Takeda is one of my favorite artists, her syle is just gorgeous. She draws absolutely beautiful women and the scenes just flow so incredibly well. Her Ms. marvel run was awesome as well, she was perfect for that book. Anyways, needless to say the art is the highlight of this book as the story is ok but nothing gripping or thought provoking happens. I always thought Logan and Jean should be together since Scott's pretty much banged anything he could get his hands on. It was cool seeing them together in this issue. The fight with the Hand was cool but the whole reasoning behind who the big bad was never really discussed and i was confused by the plot a little. I don't mind the thought bubbles. I'm glad they are not in every book i read but claremont uses them just fine here. He has gone overboard with them in the past but it's acceptable here.

Story 6
Art 9.5
Overall 7.75

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1066 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:41 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Bad Jude. Maybe it's because I didn't read comics 20 years ago but why are there so many thought balloons? Characters can just do they don't need to narrate. I will go ahead and spare you the frustration of reading my review because it was awful and the art looked barely finished.

A. How can you not like that art?

B. Thought balloons worked because comics were not modeled after movies and television back then. They were their own thing, and one of the unique abilities of comics is the ability to show things through thought bubbles and captions. This has been removed from the medium because comics choose not to meet their full potential, and instead strive to be movies on paper, which is good in some ways, but ignores the power of the medium in others.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:46 am

the thought bubbles help bring together the positives of a book vs. pictures on a page. Sometimes Claremont overuses the thought bubbles but he didn't in this book. The writers who use thought bubbles while still alowing the artist to convey the story as well are the best.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:50 am

No Twiggs For Terror wrote:A. How can you not like that art?

B. Thought balloons worked because comics were not modeled after movies and television back then. They were their own thing, and one of the unique abilities of comics is the ability to show things through thought bubbles and captions. This has been removed from the medium because comics choose not to meet their full potential, and instead strive to be movies on paper, which is good in some ways, but ignores the power of the medium in others.

I wish there were some balance in between the too-heavy exposition style comics of the '80s, and the garbage being churned out by the likes of...well, I won't name names, but the writers who have fooled themselves into thinking they are writing "cinematic" comics and not doing hack jobs.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand