Advertisement

Call for Reviews: I, Zombie #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed May 05, 2010 12:21 pm

amlah6 wrote:It's $1! :P

I know. :( Trying to prepare for a convention sucks. :(

Oddly enough, I, Zombie might be the only comic I can afford this week (after the con prep).

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed May 05, 2010 12:25 pm

I have a job interview Friday morning, so I'll get this after that and then go see Hot Tub Time Machine. Classy afternoon ahoy.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Wed May 05, 2010 6:42 pm

I didn't care for this

The tribute to Old Man was a better read than this. :)

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Wed May 05, 2010 6:44 pm

thefourthman wrote:return of bruce wayne is the logical choice

This.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 05, 2010 7:02 pm

The owner of the small LCS near me commented on the $1 price, I agreed it was a great way to get readers to try Vertigo firsts who wouldn't otherwise. I told him I'd try any new Vertigo title at that cost, they put out some great books over the years, etc. then he had a tirade about Marvel, killing new titles by making the first issue $3.99, destroying sales on minis with the more expensive price, with (in his opinion) just as many people losing interest entirely as trade-waiting...I said it's been noticeable they've been ordering fewer and fewer of certain titles, I was talking about more "3rd party" publishers, but he took it to mean Marvel minis and said he had cut way back.

I told him he was preaching to the choir, but that he should send them a letter.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 90 posts

Postby PDH » Wed May 05, 2010 7:03 pm

I still can't believe Old Man is gone. These threads don't seem the same without him. He always seemed to be in a good mood, not crotchety at all. He couldn't have picked a less appropriate username, really but then that was just his self-deprecating humour.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 05, 2010 7:06 pm

PDH wrote:I still can't believe Old Man is gone. These threads don't seem the same without him. He always seemed to be in a good mood, not crotchety at all. He couldn't have picked a less appropriate username, really but then that was just his self-deprecating humour.

Me too, I was already missing him in the previous few review threads.

He understood, among other things, the value of the corny pun.

The comics industry and fandom in general are poorer for having lost a long-time reader and fan as well.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed May 05, 2010 8:02 pm

iZOMBIE #1
I have been looking forward to this since it was introduced at the Vertigo Comics panel last summer at SDCC and in my opinion the hype was definitely met. What a fun book, a Zombie, Ghost, and Were-Terrier... and Vampires? This is right up my ally and I cannot wait for the second issue to come out. Vertigo has been knocking it out of the park with these $1.00 number 1's... consider this already added to my pull list. After all that gushing I still have not mentioned the art which is perfect for this book, I don't really know shit about what is considered technically good or bad art I just know what looks good to my eyes and I dug the tone of the coloring and how the characters were drawn, nothing to busy but not too simplified... I dig.

In honor of Old Man I gave this book a perfect score and think it is the best thing ever written since Blackest Night #8
R.I.P. Old Man, you and your reviews will be missed.

STORY - 10

ART - 10

OVERALL - 10

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 05, 2010 8:13 pm

I thought the lycanthropic schnauzer was the best character, I'd read a comic about Spot/Scott by itself.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed May 05, 2010 8:28 pm

Kerny wrote:I didn't care for this

The tribute to Old Man was a better read than this. :)

I'll let you rate that then. :lol:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Wed May 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Man I miss Old Man, he really was a quality poster.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 185 posts

Postby doombug » Wed May 05, 2010 10:41 pm

Can't wait to read this. Old man is certainly missed as well, always fun to see the debates that he helped spur.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed May 05, 2010 11:02 pm

iZombie

I rarely buy any Vertigo singles because I love to wait for the trades. Vertigo is my trade King. After reading this, though, I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to wait. It's like taking the best of the horror creatures and throwing them into a Twin Peaks style community.

Although it also reminds me a bit of True Blood in its opening issue, but there's enough bizzareness in this book to make me want to come back. And as much as the main heroine is interesting with some serious potential, I'm already sold on Spot. I can't wait to get his origin!

Michael Allerd's art was a nice compliment to the story as well. Some of the dialogue was a bit corney between Gwen and Ellie but it was corney in a rather fun way, I thought.

I'm not afraid to say this: This first issue of iZombie was better than every issue so far of the Walking Dead. It's just that great! (That one was for you Old Man. I miss you and I loved you like an older brother, pal)

Story: 9
Art: 9.50
My Score: 10

(Doing that use to drive Lew crazy. :-) )

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu May 06, 2010 6:37 pm

Vertigo puts out another strong first issue, what a surprise? I mean I bet the stuff they turn down is still better than the utter shit bendis puts out at any point in a given month. The art isn't to my complete liking and I'm already counting on Allared being late or being off the book by the second arc. But the Wereterrier was great and I look forward to actual character development as the book continues. I'm glad I chose to buy this monthly unlike mistakes I've made with The Exterminators, Unwritten, Unknown Soldier and Sweet Tooth. I'm with this book for the long haul I just hope allared will be off before that haul happens. The writing is good it's a little less than I expect from Roberson after the amazing CInderella mini but it's a first issue with a lot of intrigue and lots of places to go. So I'm gonna stick with it.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Porcelain38
dINGO

Title: Staff Writer.

Postby Porcelain38 » Thu May 06, 2010 7:16 pm

I liked this book.

It was quirky enough , but not too quirky that it was a turnoff. Mike Alfred is the definitive hipster artist. The main character seems likeable. The were-terrier was a cute thing. The supporting cast is interesting.I like the concept of the book and can't wait to see where this goes in future arcs.

Story: 10
Art: 10

Overall: 10

R.I.P. Oldman

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand