Advertisement

Call for Reviews - Siege: Secret Warriors

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Punchy wrote:Wait, has the Hickman backlash started already? Man, that was fast.

It's not a backlash when the books are so bleah. You're only as good as your latest book anyway, in some respects, as far as reviews of floppies go. You can only coast on rep for so long. Most of them had been fairly apologetic for not liking FF much, as Hickman must be setting the stage for his grand plan possibly, only it's not very satisfying to read.

After so many "not very satisfying to read" single issues, a call must be made if you're a reviewer, I would think. CBR and Comics Bulletin come to mind offhand, but there were a couple others. The reaction here being remarkably similar. But all of those are very disparate sources to be termed a backlash.

In the end, though, that's empty semantics.

Advertisement

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Tue May 04, 2010 3:03 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:In a week where the reviews for FF 578 were overwhelmingly bad, with similar reactions to the issue from various reviewers, this is not good.

I'd say SHIELD #2 had better be a home run.

I liked FF 578. My favorite of these one and dones.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 04, 2010 3:18 pm

Kerny wrote:I liked FF 578. My favorite of these one and dones.

That's cool, different strokes. It's clearly building to something, a lot of frustration seemed to be aimed at the fact that he supposedly isn't going directly to the 4 cities war. Like Punchy always says, sometimes you do have to be patient. I've been trade-waiting it myself, but was lured in by the prospect of Annihilus. I thought it was a so-so single issue, probably a 6.something like the group average for the phobos one-shot.

I just find it interesting when a half dozen or so reactions from unrelated people are so similar.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue May 04, 2010 4:00 pm

It's interesting that those are the reactions to that issue (I honestly think it has more to do with folks feeling duped by the Annihilus Cover), but this was the first one that seemed to acknowledge the bigger story. Comics Reviewers (as a whole) aren't known for being the most rational critics.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 04, 2010 4:02 pm

thefourthman wrote:It's interesting that those are the reactions to that issue (I honestly think it has more to do with folks feeling duped by the Annihilus Cover), but this was the first one that seemed to acknowledge the bigger story. Comics Reviewers (as a whole) aren't known for being the most rational critics.

No, you're not. :P

In the end, the cover issue was of no real consequence in light of the storyline, which was noticeably weakly straining at some points.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 05, 2010 11:22 pm

So next week's issue of Dark Avengers has me puzzling over this issue. Really you would figure that Bendis and Hickman would talk, they were cowriters of Secret Warriors at one point.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 06, 2010 8:13 am

thefourthman wrote:So next week's issue of Dark Avengers has me puzzling over this issue. Really you would figure that Bendis and Hickman would talk, they were cowriters of Secret Warriors at one point.

I thought Doombug was the Cryptic Comics Swami, you need to spell it out for us.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 am

In next week's Dark Avengers:
[spoiler]the kid, Phobos, is hanging out with Nick after the Siege is over and Thor comes flying through the wreckage and gives the kid Ares helmet and says the mantel is his. and Phobos is all super small kid holding giant helmet and crying[/spoiler]
:? it doesn't make any sense.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 am

thefourthman wrote:In next week's Dark Avengers:
[spoiler]the kid, Phobos, is hanging out with Nick after the Siege is over and Thor comes flying through the wreckage and gives the kid Ares helmet and says the mantel is his. and Phobos is all super small kid holding giant helmet and crying[/spoiler]

So what you're saying is that Bendis is a stupid fuck.

Well said.

I agree.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 am

thefourthman wrote:In next week's Dark Avengers:

Not to me it doesn't, either.

No one co-ordinates anything any more, I don't know if it boils down to the editors or not or if people are afraid of leaked info or what.

Postby ****** » Thu May 06, 2010 9:43 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Not to me it doesn't, either.

No one co-ordinates anything any more, I don't know if it boils down to the editors or not or if people are afraid of leaked info or what.

Maybe after the Secret Service Massacre, Phobos develops teleportation powers and goes straight to Oklahoma. Trust the Bendis!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu May 06, 2010 10:30 am

amlah6 wrote:So what you're saying is that Bendis is a stupid fuck.

Well said.

I agree.

Why blame Bendis and not Hickman? Siege is Bendis' event after all. Other writers should be following his lead.

Filthy bias.

Postby ****** » Thu May 06, 2010 10:53 am

Punchy wrote:Why blame Bendis and not Hickman? Siege is Bendis' event after all. Other writers should be following his lead.

Filthy bias.

Bendis established that Phobos didn't go to Oklahoma in the first issue of Siege so it's his grotesque bald cranium that should take the slapping for this..

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu May 06, 2010 11:24 am

amlah6 wrote:Bendis established that Phobos didn't go to Oklahoma in the first issue of Siege so it's his grotesque bald cranium that should take the slapping for this..

Considering every hero who fought in the Siege arrived there by teleportation, I don't think it's an issue.

Postby ****** » Thu May 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Punchy wrote:Considering every hero who fought in the Siege arrived there by teleportation, I don't think it's an issue.

Typical Bendapologist response.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand