Advertisement

Call for Reviews: I, Zombie #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 279 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu May 06, 2010 7:19 pm

I can't decide to pick up either the Cooke cover or the Allred one.

Advertisement

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu May 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Some strong scores this week 8)

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu May 06, 2010 8:15 pm

I, Zombie

I'm gonna have to be the lone dissenting opinion.

This books quirkyness just didn't work for me. I found it annoying more than anything. To me, it was a mature version of scooby doo without scooby or shaggy. It's a bunch of quirky characters and a play on tradtional monster cliches, but I didn't find much of it cute or funny. There is a lot of characters thrown at us and already subplots are brewing so that was good. Of course, it was only a dollar as well, always a plus.

The art is also not my thing. I can recognize it's good art, but its just not my thing. I do love the facial expressions, and no two characters look the same.

Story 5
Art 7

Overall 6

RIP Old Man. You were one of the funnier posters participating here, and your reviews were also unique and interesting, just like yourself.
Last edited by Kerny on Fri May 07, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu May 06, 2010 9:46 pm

Got this today. Yeah, I do like the subplots that are developing. I wouldn't be too hasty and give this a perfect score, but it was pretty good. Review tomorrow.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Thu May 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Kerny wrote:I, Zombie

I'm gonna have to be the lone dissenting opinion.

This books quirkyness just didn't work for me. I found it annoying more than anything. To me it was a mature ersion of scooby doo without scooby or shaggy. It's a bunch of quirky characters and a play on tradtional monster cliches, but I didn't find much of it cute or funny. There is a lot of characters thrown at us and already subplots are brewing so that was good. Of course, it was only a dollar as well, always a plus.

The art is also not my thing. I can recognize it's good art, but its just not my thing. I do love the facial expressions, and no two characters look the same.

Story 5
Art 7

Overall 6

RIP Old Man. You were one of the funnier posters participating here, and your reviews were also unique and interesting, just like yourself.

Buzzkill.
:P

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri May 07, 2010 12:01 am

48THRiLLS wrote:Buzzkill.
:P

And yet I'd bet any money Old Man would have loved his review the best so far.

Even though they both would have been wrong. :-D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri May 07, 2010 8:54 am

iZombie #1 - Dead to the World

I usually pick up Vertigo first issues out of habit, and the trend of putting them out for a dollar hasn't put me off that one bit. That the latest features art by the amazing Mike Allred is really just overselling it to me.

Allred's art has changed very little over the years, except perhaps becoming a crisper and a more concentrated version of itself. Every line is placed right where it should be and nothing looks untidy or out of place. When digging up a grave or having half a face I really expected it to look out of place but instead it works perfectly with the quirky horror vibe of the comic. The characters all with personality from the adorable dog-man to the oddly scarred mystery hatchet man and the writing is allowed to drop straight into its groove without fumbling and reaching to seem cool.

But it is cool. The pages aren't overcrowded with text but we get a lot of set-up and a fairly big cast and a healthy dose of foreshadowing thrown at us right away. If it seems like I don't have much to say about the writing that's because I don't think there is. It's solidly written but too early to say much more than we have a likeable protagonist with a visually interesting supporting cast who are still fairly blank slatey. Nothing sticks out as massively original but throwing a lot of old ideas together is by no means a bad idea.

Lots of potential here, especially in the art department. I'd have liked more story in my first issue but I got some great art anyway. Solid stuff and an impressive start with predictably amazing art.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 817 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri May 07, 2010 11:22 am

Wow, what a waste of a dollar. I'm very surprised this book is scoring such high reviews from people who generally pan better books. This was one of the most derivative, unoriginal, boring things I've ever read. A hodge-podge of every stereotypical campy "cool" concept smushed together in one smug hipster package. I can't imagine that anyone would take any one of the concepts explored in this book seriously if it weren't for the fact they were presented in a way that screams "I'm too cool for this stuff, but I'm doing it anyway, which actually makes me doubly cool." Hipster logic at it's worst, like wearing a three sizes too small Judas Priest t-shirt with your france pants because Judas Priest are so corny, but since you KNOW they're corny and you're wearing the shirt anyway, you must be on the cutting edge of the hipster elite. This is Scott Pilgrim with absolutely none of the charm, a psuedo-intellectual self-aspiring douchebag's Twilight. I bet people are really proud of themselves for enjoying this. Complete and utter garbage, and invalidates the opinion of anyone who gave this above a 5 but bashes a Marvel or DC book ever again. All of this has been done before, better, and in a fashion that wasn't snobbishly ranking itself too good for the material its parodying.

The art was ok.

Story: 1
Art: 5
Overall: 3

Review dedicated to Old Man, who was always wrong in political threads.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri May 07, 2010 11:27 am

Wow. I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as Jude says it is.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri May 07, 2010 11:27 am

I'm still waiting on the Confirmed List for next week, but at the moment I'm leaning towards Heroic Age: Prince Of Power #1.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri May 07, 2010 11:28 am

Punchy wrote:I'm still waiting on the Confirmed List for next week, but at the moment I'm leaning towards Heroic Age: Prince Of Power #1.

:smt011

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri May 07, 2010 11:29 am

Mr_Batman wrote::smt011

What's wrong with that? Incredible Hercules was amazing, and this should be too!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri May 07, 2010 11:30 am

Punchy wrote:I'm still waiting on the Confirmed List for next week, but at the moment I'm leaning towards Heroic Age: Prince Of Power #1.

what do you mean confirmed list? midtown is up. I can check my invoice, what do you want?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 355 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri May 07, 2010 11:31 am

thefourthman wrote:what do you mean confirmed list? midtown is up. I can check my invoice, what do you want?

a cock in his mouth, starlord?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri May 07, 2010 11:31 am

thefourthman wrote:what do you mean confirmed list? midtown is up. I can check my invoice, what do you want?

I wait for my store to post it on their site.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand