Advertisement

Call for Reviews: I, Zombie #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Sun May 09, 2010 10:59 pm

:? now i'm confused.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1150 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun May 09, 2010 11:01 pm

doombug wrote::? now i'm confused.

Don't be ashamed of your feelings.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun May 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Don't be ashamed of your feelings.

i told you that is what that post would do, but would you listen.... nooooo
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Sun May 09, 2010 11:04 pm

Jude Terror wrote:<-----100% Serious 100% of the time.

but you aren't? :?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun May 09, 2010 11:05 pm

doombug wrote:but you aren't? :?

I would say I told Jude so, but I already did... therefore making not only this post redundant but yours as well.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Mon May 10, 2010 12:18 pm

I, Zombie #1

When this first got announce I was a little bitter. Allred was putting Madman on hiatus again for some zombie book with a writer who at the time hadn't actually worked in comics? Balls!

While people have been throwing around the hyperbole that Roberson's Cinderella mini has been the best Fables book over the past couple of months, I've been trade waiting it so it'll be July before I get to see that magic trick for myself. No, this comic right here is my introduction to the writer and I have to say it was quite the pleasant surprise. The tone, the setting, the pacing I thought all meshed with Allred's pop art stylings perfectly. Had the book not been called what it's called and I hadn't seen the previews already, the reveal that Gwen was a zombie would have been pretty damn cool. While the base concept seems to be in the same realm as Chew, I don't see the books headed in even remotely similar directions and even if they were Gwen is way cooler (and cuter) than Tony Chu. Besides, it's hard not to love a book that features a mod ghost and a were-terrier as supporting characters.

After 15 plus years, I still get excited every time I pick up a comic with Mike Allred art and this was no exception. I especially loved the last few pages with the grave digging sequence and the post brains circular layouts page. Excellent stuff.

Even without the Allred art, this was a comic I would have enjoyed a lot. With the Allred art it's a comic that I love. I think I'm going to have to buy this in singles. :shock:

Story: 9
Art: 10
Overall: 9.5

Postby ****** » Mon May 10, 2010 12:19 pm

Jude Terror wrote:<-----100% Serious 100% of the time.

Jude "Tears of a Clown" Terror, IMO.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1150 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon May 10, 2010 12:21 pm

amlah6 wrote:I, Zombie #1

When this first got announce I was a little bitter. Allred was putting Madman on hiatus again for some zombie book with a writer who at the time hadn't actually worked in comics? Balls!

While people have been throwing around the hyperbole that Roberson's Cinderella mini has been the best Fables book over the past couple of months, I've been trade waiting it so it'll be July before I get to see that magic trick for myself. No, this comic right here is my introduction to the writer and I have to say it was quite the pleasant surprise. The tone, the setting, the pacing I thought all meshed with Allred's pop art stylings perfectly. Had the book not been called what it's called and I hadn't seen the previews already, the reveal that Gwen was a zombie would have been pretty damn cool. While the base concept seems to be in the same realm as Chew, I don't see the books headed in even remotely similar directions and even if they were Gwen is way cooler (and cuter) than Tony Chu. Besides, it's hard not to love a book that features a mod ghost and a were-terrier as supporting characters.

After 15 plus years, I still get excited every time I pick up a comic with Mike Allred art and this was no exception. I especially loved the last few pages with the grave digging sequence and the post brains circular layouts page. Excellent stuff.

Even without the Allred art, this was a comic I would have enjoyed a lot. With the Allred art it's a comic that I love. I think I'm going to have to buy this in singles. :shock:

Not surprising that this book's popularity stems from grown men wanting to have sex with a cartoon. :P
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Postby ****** » Mon May 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Not surprising that this book's popularity stems from grown men wanting to have sex with a cartoon. :P

Yay for shadow boob!

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon May 10, 2010 1:58 pm

I, Zombie #1

Just for the record, some people have said that this "has been done before", or at least things similar. I think this is one of the first times, if not THE first time, I've read something like this.

I have to say: I enjoyed this very much. This could've been a really cheesy, crap comic book. But it turned out to be great. We already have a lot of subplots going on here (and it'll be interesting to see where they go), and that excites me. This comic actually has substance to it and there are some really great parts. The wereterrier part was funny, and the part where she eats brains was fantastic from a story stand point too. I enjoyed a lot of the dialogue. None of it was over the top or lame IMO. Overall, a pretty nice story developing here.

I've never really read a comic book with Allred art. I've seen it before, but never have I read a book with it. It's a very unique style. It gives the comic life, and there's never a part where it's dull for me. To sum it up, I thought it was fantastic.

Story- 8
Art- 8
Overall- 8

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon May 10, 2010 2:05 pm

amlah6 wrote:I, Zombie #1

I liked the crossover and still enjoy Jack and even I think Cinderella was the best thing in Fables in a long time.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Mon May 10, 2010 2:31 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Haha, defense and self-validation via review! Nice! :P

When you've been around the block like me kid, you learn not to be impressed by anyone who can slap a scoobie doo zombie concept on a sub-par drawing of a a teen grrl. :wink: Been there, done that. :roll:

I called it Scooby Doo as well!

Unless this is some pseudo high brow insult to me, then fuck you! :P

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon May 10, 2010 2:35 pm

thefourthman wrote: There are shades of Scooby-Doo, Buffy, Pushing Daisies, and maybe even a little nod to Chew.

I started this shit.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Mon May 10, 2010 2:41 pm

thefourthman wrote:I started this shit.

Ah, so you did.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 129 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 10, 2010 2:50 pm

amlah6 wrote:Yay for shadow boob!

Wait, there was shadow boob? I might have to change my score.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand