Advertisement

Mighty Avengers Vol. 2: Venom Bomb Review (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Crump
Hater

Liked in: 0 post

Mighty Avengers Vol. 2: Venom Bomb Review (Spoilers)

Postby Crump » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:25 pm

I am a big fan of Frank Cho's artwork, ever since I started picking up Liberty Meadows six years ago.

I am not a big fan of the Avengers. I read West Coast back in the day, but since then, I've only read Disassembled, Civil War. However, when I heard Cho would be doing interiors for an Avengers book, I quickly read New Avengers to make sure I knew what was going on in the other team. Now, I really enjoy New Avengers and get the trades whenever they come out.

Mighty Avengers Vol. 1 was great, and yes, I am aware of the delay drama that Cho caused. Too bad. I approached Vol. 2 knowing that Cho was not involved, despite a kickass cover, and was willing to try to not compare Bagley to Cho.

Impossible.

I know and respect Bagley's work ethic, especially in light of Cho's shortcoming, but that doesn't mean I am a fan. I read the first four Ult. Spidey volumes but stopped because of Bagley's art. And for the most part, I had problems with his art in this volume too. It's uneven. For three pages, the figures and faces will be great, and then we'll get a couple where faces look asymmetrical and very cartoony and rushed. It's an unfair comparison, especially given how long it took Cho to complete his volume, but i guess it spoiled me.

The story, on the other hand, is a riot. Doom has some sort of Venom samples that get released from a satellite to terrorize the Avengers. The renegade Avengers make an appearance and defeat the symbiotes (Venom birds!).

This mayhem leads the team to Doom, who is busy getting busy with Morgan Le Fey in the past thanks to a time-traveling platform. The pages in the past are done by Marko Djurdjevic, and he really delivers. Beautiful stuff. Iron Man, Sentry, and Doom battle it out, only to get sent back to old school-era Avengers, complete with newsprint-ish details in the pages! Really cool work there by Bagley. In fact, it's in the later qurter of this collection that Bagley starts to improve. By issue #11, he's knocking it outta the park. His attention to facial details shows, particularly in Ms. Marvel's mask during a couple panels.

Bendis still doesn't seem to know what to do with The Sentry, though, and I wish we'd lose him. He's this sad sack, deus ex machina, an easy answer to whatever problems the team has. I did get a little giddy when he tore off Doom's armor, though, I'll admit. Very cool moment. And Bendis does not reveal the horror underneath--whatta tease! I love the idea of Doom finally behind bars (or is he?).

Spider-Woman changes teams in this collection, and everyone is worried about the possibility that she is either a traitor in waiting or a Skrull traitor in waiting--everyone expect Ares who is totally down to hook up.

It's big, dumb fun action in Venom Bomb, just not as visually impressive as Volume 1, although Bagley started to shine near the end--enough to make me sure I'll be back for the next collection.

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Re: Mighty Avengers Vol. 2: Venom Bomb Review (Spoilers)

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:47 pm

Crump wrote:
Bendis still doesn't seem to know what to do with The Sentry, though, and I wish we'd lose him. He's this sad sack, deus ex machina, an easy answer to whatever problems the team has.

No kidding. I can't stand that Sentry is always crying about something. There's a fight where Sentry could easily end it, but he's off sulking in the corner. Isn't he crying through the whole Skrull invasion, too? What's the point of having a crybaby version of Superman? Not very interesting.

Now Ares, on the other hand, him I can dig!

Jubilee
Review Grouper

Formerly: Twigglet

Postby Jubilee » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:47 pm

This was one of my favorite arcs from last year, after a start to Mighty Avengers which was good, but not as great as I hoped.

I like Doom a lot, I'm hoping he's building something for next year.

Dugan
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Dugan » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:09 pm

The only Bagley art i've ever really enjoyed was his brief fill-in on Fantastic Four, if you compare his Doom in that to his Doom in these issues you can see how the qualities declined.

Best part if this storyline was the Djurdjevic painted Doom/Morgan Le Fey scenes imo.

D
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:55 am

Yeah, you gotta give Bagley a pass on this one. Cho put them in a huge hole and it was Bagley's job to right the ship before SI. I believe his issues came out every two weeks, as opposed to one issue every two months. So that definitely explains the inconsistancy.

Normally lateness isn't that bad, but Cho fucked up two books by being late. I don't guess you get this with trades, but my favorite part about these Avengers books is reading one side and then the other. By the time Mightly finally got to Venom Bomb I think it had already been resolved in NA. I just hope they keep Mighty and New after SI because it was an interesting dynamic and its potential was never fully explored.

EDIT- I just checked, MA 1-6 came out between Mar 07 and Dec 07.
MA 7-11 came out between Jan 08 and Mar 08.

billyzoom666
cheese

Postby billyzoom666 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:20 am

Dum Dum Dugan wrote:

Best part if this storyline was the Djurdjevic painted Doom/Morgan Le Fey scenes imo.

Agreed! I'm a story over art kind of guy, but those pages were absolutely beautiful.

Crump
Hater

Postby Crump » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:42 pm

D wrote:
EDIT- I just checked, MA 1-6 came out between Mar 07 and Dec 07.
MA 7-11 came out between Jan 08 and Mar 08.

:shock:

Wow, that's quite a turnaround. #11 looks great.

That said, still not much of fan of his Ult. Spidey days, but I'll keep reading MA and hope for the best.
Goat

D
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:00 pm

Crump wrote::shock:

Wow, that's quite a turnaround. #11 looks great.

That said, still not much of fan of his Ult. Spidey days, but I'll keep reading MA and hope for the best.
I think Venom Bomb was Bagley's only arc on this series.

Crump
Hater

Postby Crump » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:56 pm

D wrote:I think Venom Bomb was Bagley's only arc on this series.

who's next?
Goat

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:05 am

Crump wrote:who's next?
So far its just been SI fill-ins. After that it was as follows:

Alex Maleev: #'s 12 & 13 on a Nick Fury story.
Khoi Pham: #14, Sentry-Centric.
John Romita Jr: #15, on Hank Pym.

hell if i know who'll be the new regular though. the new NA artist was announced but im too lazy to google.

Crump
Hater

Postby Crump » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Vic Mackey wrote:So far its just been SI fill-ins. After that it was as follows:

Alex Maleev: #'s 12 & 13 on a Nick Fury story.
Khoi Pham: #14, Sentry-Centric.
John Romita Jr: #15, on Hank Pym.

hell if i know who'll be the new regular though. the new NA artist was announced but im too lazy to google.

cool, thanks
Goat

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand