Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Prince of Power #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Potter Who
penile prisoner

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Potter Who » Sat May 15, 2010 10:05 am

What is it with the complaining about those info boxes? It was only on the first few pages, and I find it hard to imagine they were so distracting that they made reading the entire issue burdensome. I see them as a no-nonsense way of bringing readers up to speed very quickly.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 15, 2010 10:08 am

Potter Who wrote:What is it with the complaining about those info boxes? It was only on the first few pages, and I find it hard to imagine they were so distracting that they made reading the entire issue burdensome. I see them as a no-nonsense way of bringing readers up to speed very quickly.

they were by no means only on the first few pages and regardless of where they were, they became very obtrusive. It is why editorial boxes were done away with to begin with, they were on every panel and annoying as hell. Same problem here. If they had only been there once or twice or only in the beginning it would have been okay.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat May 15, 2010 10:14 am

I miss the Fraptions in Uncanny, they were funny.

Potter Who
penile prisoner

Postby Potter Who » Sat May 15, 2010 10:19 am

thefourthman wrote:they were by no means only on the first few pages and regardless of where they were, they became very obtrusive. It is why editorial boxes were done away with to begin with, they were on every panel and annoying as hell. Same problem here. If they had only been there once or twice or only in the beginning it would have been okay.

i guess i just don't get it. i loved editorial boxes

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sat May 15, 2010 10:19 am

thefourthman wrote:maybe so.
Here's the thing though, in a short story they aren't annoying. It is also something that FVL employs in Action Philosophers and Comic Book comics. So it is hard to tell who it was. Although with the general decrease in quality of Pak's writing since he started working with Loeb, maybe you are right.

There's no 'maybe' about it. The little boxes with arrows coming from them started in Amazing Fantasy #15 by Grek Pak, it's a Pak device.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 15, 2010 10:30 am

King Impulse wrote:There's no 'maybe' about it. The little boxes with arrows coming from them started in Amazing Fantasy #15 by Grek Pak, it's a Pak device.

They are also a device commonly used by the other writer of the book in his non marvel books. :p So yeah, there is a bit of maybe. Especially considering that in the AF 15 story, they are simple one word (for the most part) descriptors of objects that may not be easily discerned in the art or for comedic effect (in the instance of the "Hulk" one). They are employed in a fashion that is much more like FVL's use of them in Action Philosophers.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Sat May 15, 2010 10:38 am

Ugh. Even the arguments about this book are boring. :P

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Sat May 15, 2010 10:41 am

amlah6 wrote:Ugh. Even the arguments about this book are boring. :P

:lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat May 15, 2010 10:42 am

amlah6 wrote:Ugh. Even the arguments about this book are boring. :P

Shut it hipster.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sat May 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Punchy wrote:I miss the Fraptions in Uncanny, they were funny.

I liked 'Owner of a jetpack"

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 523 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat May 15, 2010 12:09 pm

I'm a little burnt out from getting up early to do the DnA interview, so forgive me if this review is a bit lazy.

Prince of Power Review

I enjoyed this book. As someone who didn't jump onto Hercules when it started, and has only read the first Hardcover, I didn't really have a lot of the backstory leading up to this. However, the book did a good job of supplying the reader with all the information necessary to understand the concept.

I like Amadeus Cho. He's a great character, relatively fresh and new, and has a lot of potential for interesting stories. He's the kind of character that interacts well with others in the Marvel Universe, not because he gets along well with them, but because he doesn't. The conflict created whenever Cho interacts with just about anyone is still fresh and interesting to me, even if it may have grown boring for some.

This book introduces a lot of plot points: the search for Herc, the conflict of interest with the gods and Cho, and the upcoming invasion of dark, mythological forces, to name a few. Seeing how Cho will deal with these matters is going to be a lot of fun, and this could end up being a sleeper hit just like Hercules was (though this book is a mini, I think, I'm sure the story will be continuing elsewhere).

The art was decent, not much to say about it one way or another. I'm interested in seeing more monsters in the future.

And I liked the little boxes.

8/10
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat May 15, 2010 12:16 pm

King Impulse wrote:I liked 'Owner of a jetpack"

Yeah, that was awesome. Perhaps it's for the best that they stopped them, as Fraction could never top that.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Punchy wrote:Yeah, that was awesome. Perhaps it's for the best that they stopped them, as Fraction could never top that.

:| It is sad that you feel this is the apex of Fraction's writing, but it probably was.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Jude Terror wrote:And I liked the little boxes.

Yeah, but you like X-Men Forever, too.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat May 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Spicy Dick wrote::| It is sad that you feel this is the apex of Fraction's writing, but it probably was.

No way man, the apex of Fraction's writing is in either Casanova or the 2nd Immortal Iron Fist arc.

Or maybe those Thor one-shots. He's just awesome in general.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand