Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Prince of Power #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 543 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat May 15, 2010 12:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:Yeah, but you like X-Men Forever, too.

I'm about to blaspheme myself, but issue #23 didn't live up to my expectations (it was still good). It's more Marvel's fault than Claremont's, as he told us in our recent interview that he wasn't planning or trying to make this "Season 1" or anything, that was all Marvel's idea, but because they packaged it as that I was sort of trained to expect a huge season finale type thing, but instead it's just the climax of the current arc. Still, issue #24 is looking good, and so is "Season 2" and Giant Size.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Sat May 15, 2010 12:26 pm

Punchy wrote:No way man, the apex of Fraction's writing is in either Casanova or the 2nd Immortal Iron Fist arc.

Or maybe those Thor one-shots. He's just awesome in general.

I would say he's awesome occasionally and just okay in general.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 15, 2010 12:27 pm

amlah6 wrote:I would say he's awesome occasionally and just okay in general.

This.
I think someone else wrote the Thor One Shots.

When does he take over Thor?

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sat May 15, 2010 12:42 pm

thefourthman wrote:This.
I think someone else wrote the Thor One Shots.

If you mean these...

They were all Fraction.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat May 15, 2010 12:48 pm

sdsichero wrote:If you mean these...

They were all Fraction.

And they were all awesome.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 15, 2010 12:54 pm

I meant that they are better than anything else Fraction has written... by a long shot. so I am incredulous that he wrote them.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat May 15, 2010 1:10 pm

thefourthman wrote:I meant that they are better than anything else Fraction has written... by a long shot. so I am incredulous that he wrote them.

So you think Ba and Moon are the same person and that there was someone else pretending to be Fraction?

You're crazy.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Punchy wrote:So you think Ba and Moon are the same person and that there was someone else pretending to be Fraction?

You're crazy.

no, i am incredulous, I refuse to believe - doesn't mean I refuse the evidence before my eyes.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Sat May 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Prince of Power #1

Wrote by Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente
Art by Reilly Brown

amadeus cho is now the CEO of the Olympus Group and calls the shots for the gods on Earth. He's using that to find his good friend Herc who he knows isn't as dead as his sister would have everyone believe. It's a new number one but it's a direct continuation of the incredible hercules series and everything pak and Van Lente have been building on for a while now.

Cho is a great character to follow as he continues to grow. His reluctance to admit that Herc is dead is a good thing as it's obvious our hero is elsewhere in the world. I really enjoy Cho working with Banner and Hebe who is now his assistant.

My only complaint is with the ending as that was slightly telegraphed. I mean it's fun but you could see the twist coming. Reilly's artwork is just getting stronger as his career goes on. I've been a follower of his work since the stuff on deadpool/cable.

Story: 8
Art: 9

Over all: 8.5

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat May 15, 2010 1:14 pm

thefourthman wrote:no, i am incredulous, I refuse to believe - doesn't mean I refuse the evidence before my eyes.

You refuse to believe that a writer can be inconsistent?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 15, 2010 1:23 pm

Punchy wrote:You refuse to believe that a writer can be inconsistent?

no, I have a hard time believing that a writer whose best work was at best better than average could churn out perfect comics about a character I could have cared less about before said comics. I even started reading Simonson's run on Thor as a result of those one shots. He had lots of great ideas, and even a few exemplary comics before those, but nothing he wrote even hinted at his ability to write a comic of that quality (much less what four of them). They were not hindered by his apparent attention disorder problems and were great ideas. Both had never occured in a single product from him before.

Iron Fist is great (although, the second arc went on way too long), but he had help. I am guessing that the team up with Bru was good for him. He is a much more competent writer now then he was pre Iron Fist.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Sat May 15, 2010 1:27 pm

thefourthman wrote:no, I have a hard time believing that a writer whose best work was at best better than average could churn out perfect comics about a character I could have cared less about before said comics. I even started reading Simonson's run on Thor as a result of those one shots. He had lots of great ideas, and even a few exemplary comics before those, but nothing he wrote even hinted at his ability to write a comic of that quality (much less what four of them). They were not hindered by his apparent attention disorder problems and were great ideas. Both had never occured in a single product from him before.

Iron Fist is great (although, the second arc went on way too long), but he had help. I am guessing that the team up with Bru was good for him. He is a much more competent writer now then he was pre Iron Fist.

Fraction himself would probably agree with you that bru helped him grow as a writer. 8)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat May 15, 2010 1:28 pm

thefourthman wrote:no, I have a hard time believing that a writer whose best work was at best better than average could churn out perfect comics about a character I could have cared less about before said comics. I even started reading Simonson's run on Thor as a result of those one shots. He had lots of great ideas, and even a few exemplary comics before those, but nothing he wrote even hinted at his ability to write a comic of that quality (much less what four of them). They were not hindered by his apparent attention disorder problems and were great ideas. Both had never occured in a single product from him before.

Bah, what do you know, you don't like Casanova!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Punchy wrote:Bah, what do you know, you don't like Casanova!

I like Casanova fine. I don't put it up on some crazy pedestal where it doesn't belong. It is a fun series that is hampered by grave story telling problems.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 15, 2010 2:00 pm

So, another review called this a--ugh--Bwa-Ha-Ha book. And conversely to how I'm thinking, he's seemed to mean it was funny. Who actually found it funny, meaning it made you actually laugh? And what line was it?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand