Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Prince of Power #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Tue May 18, 2010 1:00 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I am and this last story started really well and ended with a thud for me. I need to reread it. My biggest problem with the Dini books are the unannounced fill ins. This is especially frustrating since I pre-order my books and sometimes this info is not in the solicit info. I skipped the first fill in with man bat though I've heard that was actually good and I just didn't read the mike huddleton issues but still own them because the info was bad. I think The Zsasz arc suffered and I need to reread it but Nyugen has been one of my favorite artists since Wild Cats 3.0 so he almost always makes the book readable for me.

Yea, the Man-Bat fill in was decent, but the next one was crap

I agree with the Zsasz arc as well. Had a cool fucked up premise, but it kinda ended dully. I wanted to see more outrage at what Zsasz was doing from Batman and Robin. Not sold on the Abuse kid either.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 346 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue May 18, 2010 4:33 pm

Kerny wrote:Yea, the Man-Bat fill in was decent, but the next one was crap

I agree with the Zsasz arc as well. Had a cool fucked up premise, but it kinda ended dully. I wanted to see more outrage at what Zsasz was doing from Batman and Robin. Not sold on the Abuse kid either.

I'm going to reread it and see if I feel differently about it. I am very curious though about what Dini is going to build on in both books with the broker who definitely has the potential to be a very serious villain.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 98 posts

Postby MrBlack » Wed May 19, 2010 12:45 pm

Prince of Power #1

Despite critical praise, I did not much keep up with Greg Pak's run on the Hulk, nor did I keep up with his work, along with co-writer Fred Van Lente, in Incredible Hercules. After reading the first issue of Prince of Power, I am kicking myself for not getting into this story sooner.

This is the very definition of a fun comic book story. That does not mean that it lacks drama, or that the story is fueled by nothing but jokes. What it means is that the book is clever, irreverent, and still manages to tell a very entertaining story. Amadeus Cho was an interesting enough character when he was just one of the world's smartest people. Now that he wields the "unbreakable, unstoppable adamantine mace of Hercules," he seems nigh invincible himself. That does not prevent the writers from creating sufficient conflict within the story, as Cho has taken on a task that even he finds almost impossible. It is a great setup for what looks to be a very interesting mini-series. The art is a good fit for the comic, and seems to have a bit of a John Romita, Jr. feel to it, but with a much more modern feel. Several panels evoke anime in the expressiveness of the characters.

This is good stuff here, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, funny comic with an intriguing story.

Story: 9
Art: 8.5
Overall: 8.5

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand