Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Avengers#1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu May 20, 2010 1:21 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Oh goody a special issue of GCS.

hopefully it will be as special as that old Sp[idey/Power Pack comic.

Advertisement

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu May 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Am I going to have to watch Next Avengers or whatever to understand this issue? The future kids or whatever?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 20, 2010 1:23 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:but not a very.

I know. :(

Just regular special.

thefourthman wrote:
Spicy Dick wrote:Oh goody a special issue of GCS.

hopefully it will be as special as that old Sp[idey/Power Pack comic.

The bad touch issue?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:Am I going to have to watch Next Avengers or whatever to understand this issue? The future kids or whatever?

Not at this point, unless you're curious who they are as they are only in the first couple pages.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu May 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:Am I going to have to watch Next Avengers or whatever to understand this issue? The future kids or whatever?

Kang explains who they are, you don't need to see the movie before you read this.

The movie is easily the best thing Marvel Animation has done though, you should check it out at some point.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Thu May 20, 2010 1:51 pm

amlah6 wrote:Kang explains who they are, you don't need to see the movie before you read this.

The movie is easily the best thing Marvel Animation has done though, you should check it out at some point.

Okay good. Though, I do want to see it.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu May 20, 2010 2:09 pm

Avengers #1

Earth's Mightiest Heroes assemble once again and the result is much talkier than even I expected.

Brian Bendis is a solid writer. His Daredevil, Powers and Ultimate Spidey are among my favourite comics and for that his work always gets at least a look from me in the hope he'll be able to hit his form again. This may well be it, but a very very talky first issue probably isn't the best start. The original Avengers and the New Avengers both came together by chance but here we have a hand picked team meeting up for the first time and while the characters are all familiar the past few years have produced some baggage that needs dealing with. Not here though, here we've got a plot to tell (not show) and banter to be bantered. It's a very Bendis first issue, right down to the drip-feeding of action and trademark back-and-forth. The plot looks interesting, but until we get more of it I'm not hooked yet.

John Romita jr isn't quite the legend his father is, but he's still one of the most well respected figures in comics today. He's great and drawing muscular brutes throwing each other through buildings and he's great at handling small emotional moments. Here he gets to do one of those things for around a page or so and the rest is a lot of talking heads and the static nature of the story plays to his weakness for fairly traditional looking layouts. The pencils aren't helped by Dean White's colours, which are fine for the present day but smother the future set scenes under layers of purple fug.

In short it's Bendis playing to his strengths while Romita is largely denied his. These Avengers seem more bogged down with their own issues and a heap of exposition than with engaging in any kind of real story. Nice first part of a trade, not an amazing centrepiece comic.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu May 20, 2010 3:48 pm

I really enjoyed this, Bendis has still got it!

I guess I need to see Next Avengers sometime.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu May 20, 2010 4:26 pm

This was a great issue.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu May 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Amoebas wrote:Avengers #1

An intersesting issue. It was neat how Loki made Rick Jone's message miss the Fantastic Four and get picked up by the others.

It was really cool when Iron Man battled the Hulk in Detroit and having Thor in it was super.

I had no idea Ant-Man was so heroic. Compared to the others it's easy to see that no matter how small he is he'll stand equal with the others.

The Wasp didn't do much but she did give the team thier name which was fab.

The writing was kind of corny but Jack Kirby should be called King Kirby for his excellent art.

Marvel Comics may have something here.

I like the scene where the Hulk dresses as a clown and is defeated by ants making a hole under where he stood.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu May 20, 2010 6:57 pm

Avengers #1

I can tell you right from the get go that I will NOT give this book a score any less than a 6 if for but one reason... HAWKEYE IS BACK!!!!

It's okay. Like most average Bendis stories there was stuff that I like and stuff that I didn't care for. I'm really not happy with what they are doing with Wonder Man but I'm happy to see him around. Maybe if he goes nuts he can finally find true love with Wanda. It's an okay set up for what could be an enjoyable story and the banter between Spidey and Hawk was pretty good.

The art... uh... no. When in hero mode they are passible but out of costume they all look like they're in their late teens at best. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad like some of the recent Spider-Man was, but it's really not good - to the point of distracting.

One line though actually made me laugh out loud. Mockingbird: "Please don't say West Coast. Please don't say West Coast."

Story: 7.5
Art: 1
My Score: 6.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu May 20, 2010 7:08 pm

No seriously, at this point, the people who don't JRJR kind of worry me.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu May 20, 2010 7:14 pm

thefourthman wrote:No seriously, at this point, the people who don't JRJR kind of worry me.

who don't what?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu May 20, 2010 7:18 pm

like... jeez... i don't know what is wrong with me today. I've had to edit just about every thing I have typed

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 20, 2010 7:19 pm

thefourthman wrote:No seriously, at this point, the people who don't JRJR kind of worry me.

I've never JRJRed in my life, sir!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand