Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Avengers#1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Sun May 23, 2010 9:28 am

Well I watched Next Avengers. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a great little flick.

Advertisement

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 508 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon May 24, 2010 1:47 am

Angry sex!! Rah!! Rah!! Rah!!!

Anyways... Introduction issue. Stuff happens but not enough to really satisify the reader. Just tease but it's weak teasing. Not a bad issue per se but not one that got me interested.

Art-wise, same as the issue. Not good but not bad either.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Mon May 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Avengers #1

Well, it was obvious that this was a new #1. If you handed me this comic without telling me the number, I would've known. There isn't too much happening in this issue, but at the same time there's at least a developing plot. Luckily, Bendis didn't try to cram too much in here. From a dialogue standpoint, this wasn't too shabby. There were some really nice moments like the "Please don't say West Coast" and Thor talking to Bucky. I think Kang is a decent villain so it's kind of cool to see him appearing here. You don't have to watch Next Avengers to get this, but it was still a really cool flick, and now I'm familiar with the characters. It makes me more interested.

As for the art, it was better than I expected. JRJR is sometimes good, sometimes bad. I was going into this issue expecting to despise the art after seeing a couple of the covers. It turns out, I enjoyed it. I thought the art was solid except for in a few places. He really shines with the piece where Kang arrives IMO. (Steve does look way too young. But, I thought he did a really good job with the art there, even though Steve looked too young there. Does that make sense? Like the art was good there, but not completely accurate). I was pleasantly surprised with the art.

Story- 7
Art- 7
Overall- 7

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon May 24, 2010 4:17 pm

Dear Avengers #1,

I am a self proclaimed Bendis hater, you could even go so far as to call me a newsarama dick bag since my dislike of bendis really started with Avengers dissembled I could now say that I’ve seen his grand scheme for the avengers come full circle. Under Bendis we’ve now seen 3 avengers books start and 4 avengers books end. And now a new beginning for the avengers so this will be avengers book number 4 for bendis to start…oh with another on the way and Brubakers Secret Avengers coming in so really we’re seeing just more of the same. Sorry for the tangents but where is the end of Dark Avengers Bullseye or is that just going to be a casualty of the siege? Any way back to the task at hand. We’ve seen Bendis tear the Avenges apart to bring them back together to tear them apart to finally bring them back together again, how long will it last this time? This is my very serious question when it comes to this book and this story, How long will the fun last for the avengers?

But really we need to make this more about the book then anything else, Avengers #1 why does your tone change so many times? That’s where my biggest problem comes in. We see immortus and kang two different characters who are very much the same and in this comic really appear to be the same person in two different section since immortus leaves the future to run away from the next avengers(an incredibly stupid thing to just throw in) and he comes back to the past as kang to interrupt the avengers banquet. The interaction at the banquet were stone cold. Almost disjointed to the point where I kept feeling out of place. Thor doesn’t know who bucky is? OMG LOL! PUT A BULLET IN MY FUCKING BRAIN PLEASE! These aren’t clever moments these are moments where I groan because you’re not telling a story, you’re just pandering to the mouth breathers at this point. I’ve also grown to completely dislike the way Bendis writes an adult spiderman. I amost expect him to have peter start saying “kewl” and actually convinicing the letterer to write “Kewl” in the speech bubbles. But he’s being written like what a high schooler would say to you if you asked him, “Hey, what do the young people talk like?” it’s bad practice. The entire interchange with Hawkeye is what killed this comic for me. I’m sure I would be even angrier if they had stretched this decision into a one shot, think of it, Clint sitting downtown on a bench staring out at the statue of liberty and then the sun rises and he’s made his mind up. I’m going to be hawkeye again. It was dumb. The best part of this issue was the double page spread with everyone reacting to Steve’s call to be an avenger after that the story all went to crap. It’s convoluted shoved together and like I’ve already said very badly dialogued. But Bendis isn’t alone in this drek.

I’m usually a fan of JrJr. His latest style that he’s been cultivating since DD the man without fear may have finally reached it’s end as the worst thing I’ve seen him put out. People are blocky (blockeir than usual). Many people have already said how ugly the women are but I don’t think it’s really a fair shake, The man once drew this,
a normal looking Mary Jane and now he give you this?
It all crap from JrJr this time around. It’s just not fair for him to have to get blockier and blockier when he was so good. While flipping through the issue I just scanned to have an image of Steve Rogers and he looks like a normal person with out a Ringo Starr hair cut and weird blockyness that JrJr is doing these days.
Image I don’t even think it’s the inking because things still looked good on World War Hulk. But you have ugly characters and ugly story telling.

And then we reach the end. Kang is “vanquashed” sort of….he escapes to another time and we see what we fanboys have to assume is Maestro…Bendis has not put a single original idea in this comic. We have a shitty marvel animated throw away and a Peter David prestige story character. The man steering the house of ideas has one major problem, he has no ideas. Am I supposed to quiver at seeing this character? Oh I wonder if the Avengers and their new team mate who we don’t know yet will be able to hunt down Kang or Immortus…maybe Iron Lad will show up next. I know I wont be there for it. In closing I just want to say having reread ASM #50/491 that is one great one in done issue. Just a really great fun comic. Why couldn’t this have been like that.

3 for a serving comic that ultimately just spoon fed bendisites and nothing more.

Also I crushed Punchy’s word count.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon May 24, 2010 4:31 pm

guitarsmashley wrote: Also I crushed Punchy’s word count.

It's not a competition!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon May 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Punchy wrote:It's not a competition!

says the guy with the short review.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon May 24, 2010 4:36 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:says the guy with the short review.

Quality, not quantity.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon May 24, 2010 5:07 pm

Punchy wrote:Quality, not quantity.

I thought I wrote a pretty good review.

- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon May 24, 2010 5:26 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I thought I wrote a pretty good review.

It was OK I guess, if you like that sort of thing. :P

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 540 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon May 24, 2010 5:28 pm

John Romita Jr. needs to cut back on those cheekbones that is for sure.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Mon May 24, 2010 8:59 pm

Avengers #1: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Accept (love is too strong a word) the Bendis

Let's face it, Bendis is going to be writing Avengers for the rest of our lifetimes. It's time to give up the hate and just embrace the inevitable. I saw Iron Man 2 today and I tell you what, it's a damn mediocre movie. That didn't stop me from having fun and enjoying it though and I think the same applies to this comic. Hell, I wasn't even put off by the Bendis speak. Sure I'm a sucker for Kang and I do love seeing Clint back in his real costume, but even with Bendis's propensity for completely fucking up new characters, I'm still extremely curious to see how he integrates the Next Avengers into the 616.

The more stylized and loose John Romita Jr.'s art gets, the more I love it. I tend to bore easily when it comes to mainstream comic art so I love it when an artist does his own thing even if the results aren't always what one would consider classically beautiful. Who gives a shit if Spider-Woman looks like a coal miner in drag? I think it's kind of an interesting take personally. At the same time I'm not thrilled that Maria Hill is suddenly a 6'3" ladyboy, but whatever. Gender neutrality is a small price to pay for getting the pages with Thor blasting the hell out of Kang.

Story: 8
Art: 10
Overall: 9

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon May 24, 2010 9:04 pm

My review >>>> Yoni's and Punchy'
s combined. Is there any mention of angry sex in either of their posts? Noooooo.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Mon May 24, 2010 9:17 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:My review >>>> Yoni's and Punchy'
s combined. Is there any mention of angry sex in either of their posts? Noooooo.

It's implied in mine.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Mon May 24, 2010 9:28 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I thought I wrote a pretty good review.

I fell in love with you all over again.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon May 24, 2010 10:01 pm

Dragavon wrote:It's implied in mine.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand