Advertisement

Call for Reviews: I, Zombie #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 384 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue May 11, 2010 2:13 pm

I had no idea what the book was going to be about (well except for the Zombie part). Actually I take that back, I thought it was somehow going to be like the old I... Vampire series from DeMatteis a billion years ago.

What it was was unexpectedly good.

At first I kept waiting for her to become a zombie but half way thru I figured it out.

I love Ellie and hope she'll be able to interact with others. I'm least interested in the Corporation guys.

Is it just coincidence that I kept thinking of Ugly Americans while reading this?

Story - 8
Art - 9
Overall - 8.5

Advertisement

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Tue May 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Punchy wrote:8.09 is a good score.

I'm not very happy with my review this week, it was rushed and just a bit shit. But this is the week my Dissertation is due, so I think I can forgive myself. Now that it's done, I should be back to my best.

What's it about?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue May 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:What's it about?

It's about comics.

'Exploring the changes in the comic book culture in it's shift from analogue to digital production and distribution, including the role of the Internet in the fan community'

Stuff about web-comics, motion comics, the iPhone, the iPad, etc.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Tue May 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Punchy wrote:It's about comics.

'Exploring the changes in the comic book culture in it's shift from analogue to digital production and distribution, including the role of the Internet in the fan community'

Stuff about web-comics, motion comics, the iPhone, the iPad, etc.

That's freakin' beast.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue May 11, 2010 3:36 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:That's freakin' beast.

You're damn right.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue May 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:That's freakin' beast.

Hipster lingo, IMO.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Tue May 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Punchy wrote:You're damn right.

:-D

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu May 13, 2010 11:37 am

I know that I'm late to this party. But man, oh man, did I enjoy this opening issue of I, Zombie. Excellent intro, beautiful art, and a cool premise that makes me look forward to issue 2. It doesn't get any better than this. What I like about this book in particular is that it blends the horror, comedy, and mystery genres so seamlessly. The book pulls this off in two ways. First, it has clean art that is reminiscent of 1950s illustrations, giving it a campy, retro feel that is perfect for a tongue-firmly-in-cheek zombie book. Second, the story is told through the voice of one character, the Zombie girl. With this tight, well-defined narrative voice, the book is able to introduce a fairly large cast of characters and jump logically from horror to humor without overwhelming or confusing the reader.

By coincidence, I read both I, Zombie and Turf within a day of each other. These are very similar books in many ways, and yet I, Zombie is such a superior product. Both are number 1 issues. Both are genre-bending books that mix elements of crime and horror. Both are produced by very talented teams of creators. But I, Zombie is so much more successful than Turf. Where I, Zombie has one voice, Turf has multiple narrators. Where I, Zombie has perfectly campy art, Turf has dark, realistic illustrations that are at times hard to follow. Where I, Zombie relies on clear storytelling to introduce a huge cast, Turf is bogged down by text heavy panels.

I, Zombie is, in other words, masterful.

Art: 10

Story: 10
Last edited by Eli Katz on Thu May 13, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 86 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu May 13, 2010 12:07 pm

there is no late to the party for the review group, every review counts.

Nice review by the way, like the comparison to Turf (I still need to finish that) :oops:

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu May 13, 2010 12:28 pm

thefourthman wrote:there is no late to the party for the review group, every review counts.

Nice review by the way, like the comparison to Turf (I still need to finish that) :oops:

It's fun to start. But it's hard to finish. That's the problem with the book.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu May 13, 2010 1:42 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I know that I'm late to this party. But man, oh man, did I enjoy this opening issue of I, Zombie. Excellent intro, beautiful art, and a cool premise that makes me look forward to issue 2. It doesn't get any better than this. What I like about this book in particular is that it blends the horror, comedy, and mystery genres so seamlessly. The book pulls this off in two ways. First, it has clean art that is reminiscent of 1950s illustrations, giving it a campy, retro feel that is perfect for a tongue-firmly-in-cheek zombie book. Second, the story is told through the voice of one character, the Zombie girl. With this tight, well-defined narrative voice, the book is able to introduce a fairly large cast of characters and jump logically from horror to humor without overwhelming or confusing the reader.

By coincidence, I read both I, Zombie and Turf within a day of each other. These are very similar books in many ways, and yet I, Zombie is such a superior product. Both are number 1 issues. Both are genre-bending books that mix elements of crime and horror. Both are produced by very talented teams of creators. But I, Zombie is so much more successful than Turf. Where I, Zombie has one voice, Turf has multiple narrators. Where I, Zombie has perfectly campy art, Turf has dark, realistic illustrations that are at times hard to follow. Where I, Zombie relies on clear storytelling to introduce a huge cast, Turf is bogged down by text heavy panels.

I, Zombie is, in other words, masterful.

Art: 10

Story: 10

Hipster.

/Jude'd

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu May 13, 2010 8:53 pm

GLX wrote:Hipster.

/Jude'd

I just read his review for this book. Wow. I prefer Jude's views on race and politics to his views on comics.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu May 13, 2010 11:23 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I just read his review for this book. Wow. I prefer Jude's views on race and politics to his views on comics.

:lol:

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Mon May 24, 2010 9:19 pm

I-Zombie review

Little late to the party here but I just read this. I must say this was kind of a fun read. The art fit the story very well and the actual story itself was unique and interesting enough to keep me on for at least a few issues. That is definitely a lot being that everywhere you turn there is a new zombie or vampire project out there but this was very well done.

Story 8
Art 8
Overall 8

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand