Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Avengers#1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon May 24, 2010 10:01 pm

starlord wrote:I fell in love with you all over again.

You new avatar is awesome.... you should win that one dude's avatar contest next month for sure!

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon May 24, 2010 10:59 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I will actually put forth the effort to write something worthy of being called a review.

Read your review and appreciate your points. Thanks--it was a fun read.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon May 24, 2010 11:32 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Read your review and appreciate your points. Thanks--it was a fun read.

It wasn't as much work as I thought it would be but I don't think I'll make it a habit.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 151 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue May 25, 2010 6:49 am

Avengers #1

Avengers #1 starts out strong, giving us a hint to the plot of the opening arc before moving straight to team building. I like this lineup quite a bit: We finally get to see the "Big Three" together again; Hawkeye is finally back in a proper costume; and, Marvel's two biggest names, Spider-Man and Wolverine, are included on the team. Spider-Woman is the only odd person out here, but I am happy to see her on the team if for no other reason than a bit of gender balancing. This feels more like Grant Morrison's "Big Seven" JLA than any of Brian Michael Bendis' prior Avengers books (Spider-Woman is Aquaman, I suppose).

Nevertheless, this is still a Bendis comic, so there is a good deal of banter and some exposition. Because this is an opening issue, none of it feels gratuitous though. What little banter there is helps to establish the relationships between these characters, some of whom have never met, and the exposition is necessary to establish the impetus for the Avengers' first mission. And what a mission it is! We have the Next Avenges, Kang the Conqueror, and Wonder Man all tossed into the mix, and time travel on top of that. The first story arc bears a great deal of promise at the very least.

I am a fan of John Romita, Jr.'s art, but the cover to this issue really turned me off. The interiors are a huge improvement though, so I cannot say why the cover looks so terrible when the same inker and colorist apparently worked on it. For better or worse, this is John Romita, Jr. at his best, so your mileage may very depending on your tolerance for his rather stylized work. Klaus Janson's inks are strong, and I like Dean White's choice of color palette, which lends a brightness to this new Heroic Age.

Overall, this is a very strong book to herald the beginning of Marvel's Heroic Age. For those who doubted the direction that Marvel was taking post-Siege, this is still very much a Bendis book; it actually reminds me quite a bit of Bendis' Mighty Avengers, minus the thought balloons. For the Bendis haters, I would still recommend giving this book a chance. His quirks are kept to a minimum here, and the story has the sort of "big adventure" feel that was lacking from Bendis' other Avengers work.

Story: 9.5
Art: 9
Overall: 9.5

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue May 25, 2010 9:09 am

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Tue May 25, 2010 11:09 am

48THRiLLS wrote:You new avatar is awesome.... you should win that one dude's avatar contest next month for sure!

thank you but that asshole has never recognized me. Zechs has a better chance than I do.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Tue May 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Avengers

Confession- I am a Bendis fan. Not on Twigg's level, but I think the man is usually a great writer. His Dark Avengers was great, and I enjoyed Siege, so what would I think of these bright and hero-y gents? I liked it

You might be shocked by this, but there's a lot of talking. Crazy in a Bendis comic, I know. I enjoyed everyone's reaction to Steve's call to arms, even Wonder man's. Because Wonder Man sucks, and if he takes a heel turn here, he'll get his ass kicked. The banter between Spidey and Hawkeye was fun and should be in the future. I like the whole team, with Spider-Woman being the odd duck sorta, tho I like her too.

I've never read a Kang story,a Maestro story, or seen the Next Avengers movie, so I'm pleasantly curious about all of them. Thor blasting the shit out of Kang was also the tits. I think I read somewhere that Old Man Clint Eastwood Logan would appear too, since this arc is about time-fuckery, so that will be awesome.

JRJR's art is fine. I was becoming a hata of his lately from his recent stints on ASM and World War Hulk, but this and Punisher:The List looked fine. Steve's hair in the first shot and Spider-Woman look kinda funny but eh, I think his art fits the tone and style of this book. However, I'm taking a point off cuz THE HEROIC AGE BANTER is really ugly and distracting on the front, IMO

Story 8
Art 7

Overall 7.5

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 26, 2010 6:13 am

Hey guess what... Gotham City Sirens #12:
[spoiler]Written by Tony Bedard, illustrated by Peter Nguyen[/spoiler]
:lol:
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed May 26, 2010 6:13 am

So it's not a Dini issue? Thank god.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 26, 2010 6:17 am

Punchy wrote:So it's not a Dini issue? Thank god.

s'really not a good thing... hater.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed May 26, 2010 7:31 am

thefourthman wrote:s'really not a good thing... hater.

It so is, Dini is the blandest writer in comics.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed May 26, 2010 7:44 am

thefourthman wrote:Hey guess what... Gotham City Sirens #12:
[spoiler]Written by Tony Bedard, illustrated by Peter Nguyen[/spoiler]
:lol:

A fill-in writer on a Dini book?! I'm shocked! Shocked I say!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 124 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 26, 2010 7:49 am

Never even glanced at GCS.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 26, 2010 8:58 am

Punchy wrote:It so is, Dini is the blandest writer in comics.

no, it's not, this is an average issue of comic, where as Dini has taken what could be a bland comic and made it something worth reading.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed May 26, 2010 8:59 am

thefourthman wrote:no, it's not, this is an average issue of comic, where as Dini has taken what could be a bland comic and made it something worth reading.

Nope, Dini's would be just as bland, if not more so.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand