Advertisement

Tom DeLay on the Bush Presidency - I give him a 6

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

C20Percent
User avatar
rubber spoon
 
Posts: 6271
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:55 pm


Postby C20Percent » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:33 am

milton73 wrote:In all honesty, DeLay was as much of a problem as Bush.


At least Delay had the House Republicans in lock-step -- after he stepped down the Rep. broke into several different factions.

Advertisement

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 25897
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:10 pm


Postby The Juan Percenter » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:37 am

C20Percent wrote:At least Delay had the House Republicans in lock-step -- after he stepped down the Rep. broke into several different factions.


When the Republicans took control, they government expanded exponentially. That's a problem if your party is the party of "small government".

C20Percent
User avatar
rubber spoon
 
Posts: 6271
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:55 pm


Postby C20Percent » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:50 am

milton73 wrote:When the Republicans took control, they government expanded exponentially. That's a problem if your party is the party of "small government".


I agree. I'm not happy about that. But, just as a general observation -- he did a good job at consolidating the Republican vote; similar to Nancy Pelosi.

AaronW
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 25025
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:12 pm


Postby AaronW » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:53 am

-13 on a 1-10 scale.

lancer_man
User avatar
Expert Post Whore
 
Posts: 5063
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:45 pm


Postby lancer_man » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:53 am

C20Percent wrote:I agree. I'm not happy about that. But, just as a general observation -- he did a good job at consolidating the Republican vote; similar to Nancy Pelosi.


But the only thing that is good for is making the Party in question more powerful. It doesn't make the country better or my life better. It makes sure money goes through a certain group of people more efficiantly. And none of us are in that group.

C20Percent
User avatar
rubber spoon
 
Posts: 6271
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:55 pm


Postby C20Percent » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:05 pm

lancer_man wrote:But the only thing that is good for is making the Party in question more powerful. It doesn't make the country better or my life better. It makes sure money goes through a certain group of people more efficiantly. And none of us are in that group.


From time-to-time that Party might advocate policies that you philosophically agree with -- a few years back the Senate finally approved drilling in ANWR, and then the Republican dominated House vetoed the bill, which in the past had been the other way around. Probably something that wouldn't have happened if Delay had been in Majority Leader.

I don't necessarily disagree with your above statement, though.

Spidey-Man
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby Spidey-Man » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:08 pm

Impossible to judge, his middle eastern policy was extremely ambitious and the full ramifications won't be known until I am an old man.

I'd say, personally, ideas wise, 8.5 of 10, execution 6.5 of 10, currently. The Iraq war looks like it might wrap up favorably, depending, and that could help his standing in my mind. Also helping his standing is the fact that we have not been hit again in almost 7 years, and I believe that's directly attributable to the myriad actions he's taken.

He was too loyal though to the wrong people. Gates and Petraeus should have been in charge earlier, Rumsfeld should have been booted no later than 2004.

Eli Katz
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 10907
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 48 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012


Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Spiderrob wrote:Impossible to judge, his middle eastern policy was extremely ambitious and the full ramifications won't be known until I am an old man.

I'd say, personally, ideas wise, 8.5 of 10, execution 6.5 of 10, currently. The Iraq war looks like it might wrap up favorably, depending, and that could help his standing in my mind. Also helping his standing is the fact that we have not been hit again in almost 7 years, and I believe that's directly attributable to the myriad actions he's taken.

He was too loyal though to the wrong people. Gates and Petraeus should have been in charge earlier, Rumsfeld should have been booted no later than 2004.


I agree that he had some good ideas -- like seriously fighting AIDS in Africa.

But he has many more stupid ideas and has made too many stupid decisions -- like signing the prescription drug benefit (No Drug Company Left Behind), trying to privatize Social Security, invading Iraq, ignoring the Israeli-Palestinian standoff, okaying torture, conducting warrantless wiretaps, instituting indefinite detention, pushing an anti-gay marriage amendment, his mishandling of Katrina, getting involved in the Teri Schiavo affair, and so on.

His presidency has been an unending series of disasters.

Spidey-Man
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 59 posts


Postby Spidey-Man » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I
His presidency has been an unending series of disasters.


like signing the prescription drug benefit -no opinion on it. Although seniors were begging for it. Then as seniors tend to do, they complain

trying to privatize Social Security- support

invading Iraq-support

ignoring the Israeli-Palestinian standoff-I dont agree with your assessment, but I think its irrelevant either way. they fight, they will continue to fight

, okaying torture-not under my definition

, conducting warrantless wiretaps-support in the manner it was implemented

, instituting indefinite detention-of enemy combatant types I support

pushing an anti-gay marriage amendment-I dont support but it went nowhere. a footnote

his mishandling of Katrina-screw up at all levels. then again, you build your city under sea level, you dont leave, and you get the worst storm ever and it aint going to be good

getting involved in the Teri Schiavo affair-footnote

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 58 guests

Advertisement