Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Avengers#1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed May 26, 2010 9:06 am

It's a standalone Poison Ivy story, where's it gonna go really?

Actually the preview could be right out of one of Dini's cartoons. This looks like standard DC fare, I am trying to be nice here.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed May 26, 2010 9:10 am

Spicy Dick wrote:It's a standalone Poison Ivy story, where's it gonna go really?

Actually the preview could be right out of one of Dini's cartoons. This looks like standard DC fare, I am trying to be nice here.

No, it's not - see my review in the new thread.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu May 27, 2010 7:00 pm

I can't believe it's gotten so far behind.

Avengers #1

Just got the Next Avengers DVD, hurray!

When I first read this issue, I was excited to see an old-school Avengers adventure complete with time travel and Kang and everything instead of the ol' Hood 'n' ninja thing.

Some parts like the roster pages were kinda painful, and the dialogue is still a problem for me with so many characters having the same "voice" and all the quips.

The art just isn't JRJR's best work but some of it is great. The action scenes, I guess, or scene.

After a re-read I'm afraid it'll be like Secret Invasion, a great Bendis idea executed poorly, but it's all intriguing enough to give a try for an arc.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu May 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:I can't believe it's gotten so far behind.

Avengers #1

Just got the Next Avengers DVD, hurray!

When I first read this issue, I was excited to see an old-school Avengers adventure complete with time travel and Kang and everything instead of the ol' Hood 'n' ninja thing.

Some parts like the roster pages were kinda painful, and the dialogue is still a problem for me with so many characters having the same "voice" and all the quips.

The art just isn't JRJR's best work but some of it is great. The action scenes, I guess, or scene.

After a re-read I'm afraid it'll be like Secret Invasion, a great Bendis idea executed poorly, but it's all intriguing enough to give a try for an arc.

Other Lives are impressed with your timeliness. ;) :p

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu May 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Avengers #1 Review

The Great One continues to knock it out of the park. With Siege being the best big event in at least the last decade, the Heroic Age started off great in Avengers #1.

The Great One brings his usual quirks that people love to hate on, such as witty dialog, but He also shows that He can write The Avengers with a completely different tone than He has in New Avengers for the past seven years (or whatever).

It was great to see characters like Kang show up, and Thor whacking him across the New York skyline was a mark-out moment, and the reactions of the characters was fun. It's interesting to see some of the New Avengers characters adjusting to being on a "real" Avengers team. They are still awestruck, despite being veterans by this point.

Steve Rogers interacting with Tony Stark was very cool, especially the awkward moment where Tony mistakenly believed Steve wanted him to lead the Avengers. Overall, these were the kinds of character interactions fans have been waiting for since Civil War, and there's a lot of potential for future conflicts that The Great One will be able to touch in the coming issues.

Speaking of future conflicts, the setup for a Wonderman heel turn was nicely done.

John Romita Jr.'s art was slightly less of a steaming pile of shit than usual. I wish he would learn how to draw faces. his foundations are good, of course, but the finished product is ugly art, and not in a hip, ugly on purpose sort of way. However, it's not as bad as I was expecting.

Story: 10
Art: 4
Overall: 7
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby doombug » Sat May 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Avengers #1

I've followed everything Bendis has wrote for a few years now, I've had the pleasure of sitting down and talking with the man and honestly...this may be his best Avengers work to date.

I know that is an extremely controversial thing to say, especially here where a lot of people hate the man and his work. But in my humble opinion, the only thing that stops this from being a 10 is Jr Jr's depiction of Spiderwoman.

In this very issue we get a smartass Clint Barton who is being picked on by a very sarcastic spiderman, we get Bucky Barnes being completely out of his element, Spiderwoman questioning what she's doing there, a very classic villain returning to the Avengers and Thor really doing what he does best,

Brian nails the smallest little scenes that you can't help but smile at like the interractions between Clint and Spidey that are almost in line with their argument from New Avengers on ninja healthcare. Bucky Cap trying his best to really fit in by introducing himself to Thor and questioning who the hell the villain is and Steve's overall speeches are great.

It's a really pretty issue over all, once again except for the way Jessica Drew is drawn. I honestly like the way that Jr Jr draws his action scenes with Kang and the terrified looking Tony really sold things.

Also to add to the review I have to commend Brian for the back up material and his surprisingly strong use of each of the characters unique voices. I am really really looking forward to reading all of the history of the avengers back matter,

Story: 10
Art: 8
Back Matter: 10

Over all: 9

Jubilee
Review Grouper

Formerly: Twigglet

Postby Jubilee » Sat May 29, 2010 1:28 pm

7 out of ten.

I don't really know what to think. Maestro or whatever? Pretty lame. The Next Avengers? Pretty lame. To much fanboy stuff. The bit with Thor was awesome. The bits with Hawkeye were good.

It would be a six, but I really liked the back matter
You don't have to like me
You don't have to respect me
But you will LISTEN to me.
-----
Always Right

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:14 am

25 reviews! That's the most we've had since Week 36 at Old Rama. :shock: :-D

SlamBurger
phrase IV

Title: Last of the Whigs

Postby SlamBurger » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:22 am

Who is leading the team?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:45 am

SlamBurger wrote:Who is leading the team?

Maria Hill

SlamBurger
phrase IV

Title: Last of the Whigs

Postby SlamBurger » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:15 pm

Punchy wrote:Maria Hill

In the field?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:21 pm

SlamBurger wrote:In the field?

Looks like...

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby doombug » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:15 pm

not been discussed/confirmed yet.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:18 pm

doombug wrote:not been discussed/confirmed yet.

shut up youngin' Don't contradict me. RESPECT YOUR ELDERS! Sharon seemed to be field leader in Secret, dammit.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:20 pm

Not been revealed, I'd expect Iron Man.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand