Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Gotham City Sirens #12

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat May 29, 2010 7:13 am

amlah6 wrote:For the 1763rd time, American Flagg! is genius and everyone should read it.

Agreed!

Advertisement

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sat May 29, 2010 9:18 am

guitarsmashley wrote:which one of you creepy fucks is Newton and why are you e-mailing me?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't get to bitch until he's e-mailed you at least 30 consecutive days.

What'd you say bad about DC to get his panties in a bunch now?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 29, 2010 9:28 am

Last email I got from Newton was two days ago cause I was saying that taking Superman out of his books and keeping the names the same was stupid. Which it is, doesn't matter how good they have been it was stupid. His reply was something along the lines of how many times have those books not featured him in the past forty years which seemed horribly irrelevant to me, but whatever.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat May 29, 2010 9:29 am

I'd almost forgot about the fucker. I used to get several emails a day from him when I was a nuramamod (that sounds like a city full of terrorists.)

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Sat May 29, 2010 9:58 am

Newton? :?

Flynn the Pirate

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Sat May 29, 2010 11:25 am

Gotham City Sirens #12
Writer:
Tony Bedard
Art: Peter Nguyen and Jack Purcell

I've been a pretty big fan of this title for a while. It's fun. It's quirky. It's highlighting a trio of characters that are having largely non-Batman-related hijinks-adventures in and around Gotham City. What's not to love, right?

This issue, apparently.

I hated this. I really truly did. The story was hinged on whether or not you had read the Catwoman tie-in during Blackest Night. Since I didn't, I had almost no clue what was going on with Selina's sister, save for the little bit of exposition that Maggie herself provides. As with most cases of this, it really just hits the high points, which is to say it only gives a skeleton outline and the reader who didn't buy that issue is forced to either search Wikipedia for information or track down that issue.

Another extremely bothersome problem here. Last issue, Paul Dini started a story about Ivy starting a job at Star Labs. Yeah, that story's cliffhanger was picked up here, but it felt like it was picked up almost as an afterthought. Bedard just sort of throws it together in two or three pages, almost like commercial breaks from the story he wants to tell.

Which brings me to my biggest complaint about this issue. The story felt like such a radical departure from the direction the book has taken up to this point that I honestly just spent most of the last few pages saying to myself, "Really? I mean, seriously? This is lame." Again, maybe it's because I committed the unpardonable sin (no pun intended, given the story in this issue) of not reading the aforementioned Catwoman issue, but to go from dealing with bottom-tier Batman villains or former sidekicks to fighting against a demon-possessed former nun with a sword and wire-fu moves is kind of a major departure, I think.

At the end of the days, this was a stinker. Hopefully, Dini will be back next month to salvage this, but this was absolutely terrible.

2 out of 10 for it at least being readable.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat May 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Am I the only one who actually reads everyone's reviews? Or is it just my review nobody reads. :P

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat May 29, 2010 12:31 pm

starlord wrote:Am I the only one who actually reads everyone's reviews? Or is it just my review nobody reads. :P

I wait until the front page article.

And 2 Batman books in a row is lame-sauce! I hate Batman!

Flynn the Pirate

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Sat May 29, 2010 12:34 pm

starlord wrote:Am I the only one who actually reads everyone's reviews? Or is it just my review nobody reads. :P

I try to read all of the reviews. Not always successful, as some of the shorter ones end up getting breezed over whilst breezing over the responses and banter.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 120 posts

Postby doombug » Sat May 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Gotham City Sirens #12

So Tony Bedard seems to be the go to guy for fill ins on a lot of different books. When Mckeever had to leave birds of prey he stepped in and when the blackest night one shots needed to be wrote, there he was. But that is also a problem as to really get a full understanding of the events of this issue...you had to read the catwoman blackest night issue.

Also for a plot that was being heavily built up, the Ivy situation seemed to be handled way too easily by the character who suddenly goes full on villain again which I found a bit odd.

Even Harley seemed to suffer from a case of stupidity this issue over all. The only person showing any intelligence was S3elina's nutjob sister. Ivy almost threatening a child was unlike her as well, it just seemed like this was put together in a hurry and it shows.

Score: 6

I wish to have Paul Dini back now.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat May 29, 2010 12:47 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:I try to read all of the reviews. Not always successful, as some of the shorter ones end up getting breezed over whilst breezing over the responses and banter.

I just wondered because I threw my pick for next week right in the middle of my review to see who would notice it. :-D

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Flynn the Pirate

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Sat May 29, 2010 12:57 pm

starlord wrote:I just wondered because I threw my pick for next week right in the middle of my review to see who would notice it. :-D

I did. And since I think I'm one of the only people who actually likes Judd Winnick (don't throw anything, please), I'm looking forward to it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 29, 2010 1:32 pm

I noticed but gave up trying to think of something nice to say about it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 29, 2010 1:32 pm

doublepost

Postby ****** » Sat May 29, 2010 1:40 pm

starlord wrote:I just wondered because I threw my pick for next week right in the middle of my review to see who would notice it. :-D

Usually I don't read anyone's review until I've read the issue myself and since I'm not exactly in a hurry to read a book that's been Dini'd...

[center]Image
Red Hood: Lost Days #1
selected by starlord[/center]Written by JUDD WINICK
Art by PABLO RAIMONDI

Judd Winick (BATMAN: UNDER THE HOOD) returns to write the adventures of Jason Todd in this special 6-part epic exploring the lost days of this misunderstood character. Learn what secret events led Jason on his eventual path of death and destruction. Guest-starring Ra's al Ghul and Talia with amazing artwork by Pablo Raimondi (BATTLE FOR THE COWL: THE UNDERGROUND, X-Factor).

Batman | 32pg. | Color | $2.99 US

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand