Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Gotham City Sirens #12

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun May 30, 2010 8:19 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I had trouble reading this. It's not my kind of book, and I don't care about the characters at all.

The art is not as bad as most of you say. It's competent and, in some places, rather good. But it is not consistent. The book start of strong. The first splash page is detailed and dynamic, but halfway through, the backgrounds seem to disappear and the characters end up inhabiting a lot of empty space. The worst pages are the ones with the blood splatter panels. It's as though the artist was running out of time and decided ink sprays over a face would suffice as storytelling.

STORY: 3
ART: 6.5

OVERALL: 4.75

consistency is my strongest criteria for art when looking at it critically. Style is completely subjective, consistency and storytelling are the most objective qualities a comics art can have.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun May 30, 2010 8:25 pm

starlord wrote:Am I the only one who actually reads everyone's reviews? Or is it just my review nobody reads. :P

i read everyone's reviews, I don't always do it right away, I just read yours a few minutes ago....
Last edited by thefourthman on Sun May 30, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun May 30, 2010 8:29 pm

also, Eli, read Selina's Big Score by Darwyn Cooke, I guarantee you will enjoy it and you will probably dig her if no one else after it!

Speaking of that has anyone read When in Rome, is it worth the trouble?

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun May 30, 2010 11:57 pm

thefourthman wrote:also, Eli, read Selina's Big Score by Darwyn Cooke, I guarantee you will enjoy it and you will probably dig her if no one else after it!

don't know anything about When in Rome but couldn't agree more about Selina's Big Score. One of my all time favorite Catwoman stories.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon May 31, 2010 1:22 am

When in Rome is fine. It's arguably the worst of the Loeb\Sale stuff (except the Hulk one) but it's worth a read.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 527 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon May 31, 2010 1:25 am

thefourthman wrote:also, Eli, read Selina's Big Score by Darwyn Cooke, I guarantee you will enjoy it and you will probably dig her if no one else after it!

I read When in Rome, but remember absolutely nothing about it. Unlike most posers today though who try to claim they don't like Loeb/Sale Batman, I still admit to enjoying it, so I'd say you should probably read it.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby doombug » Mon May 31, 2010 1:33 am

What posers claim they don't like the Loeb/Sale color books? :? Or the batman stuff?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 527 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon May 31, 2010 1:36 am

doombug wrote:What posers claim they don't like the Loeb/Sale color books? :? Or the batman stuff?

People do. Make a thread about it and see.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon May 31, 2010 1:40 am

Like Zero said, it's the weakest but it's a good, mindless read. Also, the coloring of Sale's art is the best.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon May 31, 2010 2:09 am

when in rome is quite fun and the worst of the Loeb/sale books is Gambit wolverine.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon May 31, 2010 10:28 am

Jude Terror wrote:I read When in Rome, but remember absolutely nothing about it. Unlike most posers today though who try to claim they don't like Loeb/Sale Batman, I still admit to enjoying it, so I'd say you should probably read it.

I love The Long Halloween (A lot) so yeah, I guess I should... :oops: I should also read Dark Victory and Haunted Knight

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon May 31, 2010 10:30 am

doombug wrote:What posers claim they don't like the Loeb/Sale color books? :? Or the batman stuff?

Lots of people. I had someone asking about Batman the other day and it seemed like she wanted the kind of thing that Long Halloween was and fourthbro wanted to ridicule it. What was funny was she bought it still, shows how little faith some have in fourthbro or how much faith they have in me...

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon May 31, 2010 12:29 pm

thefourthman wrote:I love The Long Halloween (A lot) so yeah, I guess I should... :oops: I should also read Dark Victory and Haunted Knight

Dark Victory is awesome. Haunted Knight is pretty good but not essential. Did Cap white ever come out passed issue 0?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon May 31, 2010 12:36 pm

None of it's come my way used so I haven't read any of it.

Wait, is Hulk Gray Loeb/Sale? That did come my way and it was great.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon May 31, 2010 12:54 pm

thefourthman wrote:consistency is my strongest criteria for art when looking at it critically. Style is completely subjective, consistency and storytelling are the most objective qualities a comics art can have.

Consistency is important, but only if the artist is competent. If someone is consistently terrible, then being consistent is not much of an achievement. Rob Liefeld and Todd MacFarlane are both consistently bad at anatomy. Do I praise them for that?

For me, the clarity and the richness of storytelling are most important. Do I understand what's going on? Are there enough details in the panels to make me believe in the action? Is there anything about the art that distracts me or takes me out of the story? These are the questions I ask myself when I look at and review a book.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand