Tuesday, August 23, 2016 • Evening Edition • "*the sound you hear when PAC-MAN dies*"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Call for Reviews: Gotham City Sirens #12

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon May 31, 2010 3:36 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:None of it's come my way used so I haven't read any of it.

Wait, is Hulk Gray Loeb/Sale? That did come my way and it was great.


That one was the most minimalist Sale covers and it was gorgeous.
User avatar

48THRiLLS

Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon May 31, 2010 7:47 pm

GOTHAM CITY SIRENS #12
I don't read Batman and I am not really familiar with these characters... aren't they villains? I was kinda lost while reading this so I can't really say that I enjoyed it. The art was Okay I guess. I really don't have much else to say about this book so my review is a shorty this week.

STORY - 4

ART - 6

OVERALL - 5
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon May 31, 2010 8:12 pm

Gotham City Sirens #12

Short review from me too, by my own rules I have to give this a pretty low score. The first pages with Poison Ivy were kind of interesting except I felt like I'd seen it in one of the Batman the Animated Series episodes. Sadly, this shortly gave way to a pretty drab Catwoman story that I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to get through. This is the sort of thing that DC puts out that I can't believe people are willingly buying.

3.5

******

Postby ****** » Mon May 31, 2010 9:37 pm

Gotham City Sirens #12

So what's up with this book? Is it supposed to replace Catwoman or something? Honestly a book featuring Batman's Bad Grrls rogues isn't something that I have any interest in at all and with this issue featuring surprise fill-in creators let's just say my expectations were low.

I really don't have much to say about this comic. The characters were bland except for the crazy cat killing (2 phar DC! 2 phar!) sister. The Poison Ivy scenes didn't give me enough background information to make me care what was going on. The Catwoman stuff was okay, but certainly didn't lay enough of a foundation to make me want to come back for more.

The art here is ugly. Like in an embarrassing way it's ugly. From a storytelling perspective it's adequate, but there are pages and panels that just shouldn't be considered acceptable in a DC comic.

Story: 4
Art: 2
Overall: 3
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:38 am

So I read Scalped #38 today. There's no reason why trade-waiters couldn't have read this issue. It wouldn't have ruined a thing for them.

I can understand if the issue begins a new arc and reveals details about the previous arc that hasn't been released in tpb yet. But this was a stand-alone story.

I think trade-waiters should rethink their apprehensions. Wouldn't it be more fun to have a 15-page discussion over a comic book we all like, and if not like at least respect, as opposed to one that we all Byrne-steal?

Just saying.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:51 am

Eli Katz wrote:So I read Scalped #38 today. There's no reason why trade-waiters couldn't have read this issue. It wouldn't have ruined a thing for them.

I can understand if the issue begins a new arc and reveals details about the previous arc that hasn't been released in tpb yet. But this was a stand-alone story.

I think trade-waiters should rethink their apprehensions. Wouldn't it be more fun to have a 15-page discussion over a comic book we all like, and if not like at least respect, as opposed to one that we all Byrne-steal?

Just saying.


You know I love me some scalped, but scalped doesn't need converts. There are people who read it and people who don't. I picked GCS because it's one of my favorite comics and I was hoping to have people enjoy it as much I do. This was a poor example of this book and its not fair to it's readers or us that DC did this and sprang a filler on everybody. It sucks but this was a book I could turn the group on to where as most of them already read scalped.
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:07 am

guitarsmashley wrote:You know I love me some scalped, but scalped doesn't need converts. There are people who read it and people who don't. I picked GCS because it's one of my favorite comics and I was hoping to have people enjoy it as much I do. This was a poor example of this book and its not fair to it's readers or us that DC did this and sprang a filler on everybody. It sucks but this was a book I could turn the group on to where as most of them already read scalped.

I understand. I'm not bemoaning your choice. I know the solicits misrepresented the issue. And I understand your motives for selecting a book that you love and that you want others to notice. It's too bad that it turned out the way it did.

My comments, however, were more in reference to the ones posted ten pages ago, where Spicy and others said that many people wouldn't review a book like Scalped because of trade waiting. I don't like that limitation, that's all. It seems to me stand alone issues are the best kind of stories to review, because you can assess the full package and not just an opening chapter. So if there is a chance to review a one-shot story, especially one from a notable book, then it should be greeted with enthusiasm without half the regular reviewers declaring outright that they won't bother checking it out.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:33 am

Quick Review Before I Go to Work

I liked this book. I've been interested in the concept for a while, so I was happy to have a chance to review it. Since I hadn't checked it out yet, the concept of three female bat-villains living together and having little adventures was still novel for me, which helped in overpowering the mundane plot. There were aspects of the story that I liked, of course. The story with Catwoman's sister was amusing, both in her psychotic belief that anyone who owns a cat worships some kind of cat demon that controls her sister, and in the cooler transformation into some kind of dark, avenging angel. Didn't know what was going on really with the Poison Ivy story.

The art was okay in this. Competent, but nothing special, as is sometimes typical of DC.

Overall, this book didn't turn me off of the concept that I've been interested. If anything, the mediocrity of this issue made me hunger for a more well-done version of the concept, so I picked up a bunch of back-issues which I'll be reading later. So I guess, in a weird way, the pick succeeded this week.

Story: 5
Art: 5
Overall: 5

******

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:07 am

Image

http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/8414/176/
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:06 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Quick Review Before I Go to Work

I liked this book. I've been interested in the concept for a while, so I was happy to have a chance to review it. Since I hadn't checked it out yet, the concept of three female bat-villains living together and having little adventures was still novel for me, which helped in overpowering the mundane plot. There were aspects of the story that I liked, of course. The story with Catwoman's sister was amusing, both in her psychotic belief that anyone who owns a cat worships some kind of cat demon that controls her sister, and in the cooler transformation into some kind of dark, avenging angel. Didn't know what was going on really with the Poison Ivy story.

The art was okay in this. Competent, but nothing special, as is sometimes typical of DC.

Overall, this book didn't turn me off of the concept that I've been interested. If anything, the mediocrity of this issue made me hunger for a more well-done version of the concept, so I picked up a bunch of back-issues which I'll be reading later. So I guess, in a weird way, the pick succeeded this week.

Story: 5
Art: 5
Overall: 5


Please let me know what you think of the previous issues. Since they are so much better than this one issue.

******

Postby ****** » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:24 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Please let me know what you think of the previous issues. Since they are so much better than this one issue.


More animal cruelty porn, IMO.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:29 pm

amlah6 wrote:More animal cruelty porn, IMO.


The issues with Aesop's fables don't count you fucker.
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:34 pm

I've read 1-9 of the book (excluding the fill-in) and it's OK. I think having losing Riddler to the car-crash that is the main book will hurt the book as it's been my favourite plot, but otherwise it's a solid book. It didn't really blow me away every month but I think that's down to personal taste.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:49 pm

so fucking Solo, that's what could be done to make me care about Hawkeye and fucking Mockingbird.

Although, the voicing in that book is weird. Hawkeye talks like he is a 20something, which is kind of irritating especially when he mentions that he was an original Avenger.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:03 pm

thefourthman wrote:so fucking Solo, that's what could be done to make me care about Hawkeye and fucking Mockingbird.

Although, the voicing in that book is weird. Hawkeye talks like he is a 20something, which is kind of irritating especially when he mentions that he was an original Avenger.


Wrong thread? Or your having a stroke.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Flamebird, Google [Bot] and 63 guests