Advertisement

Call for Reviews - Red Hood: The Lost Days #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 230 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:26 am

MrBlack wrote:Red Hood: The Lost Days #1

I am torn on this comic. While it was interesting to see more of Talia's point-of-view in the telling of the tale, we have already read this exact same story in Batman Annual #25. I see no reason to waste an entire issue of a miniseries retelling a story that we have already heard. Talia's motivations for helping Jason were not worth the price of admission. That said, this is a good opening issue for the uninitiated. I am curious to see what, if any, role Talia will play in the remaining issues, given her central role in the opening of the story.

The art was very clean and well done, with good attention to detail. The coloring seemed a little to "digital" for lack of a better word, but I would not mind seeing this art team on some other books. Pablo Raimondi's pencils are certainly attractive.

I might check out issue #2 in the shop just to see if Judd Winick does anything interesting with the story, but this first issue was not worth it for me. If you have read Batman Annual #25, there is absolutely no reason to buy this. If you have not read it, this issue is a good starting point for learning the history of the Red Hood.

Story: 7 (3 if you have read Batman Annual #25)

Art: 7.5

Overall: 7 (5 if you have read Batman Annual #25)

Talia communicates with Jason after he is the Hood in emails, so she should be present throughout the mini.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Advertisement

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:15 pm

I'm going to the LCS tomorrow, so I'm good for SHIELD.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Where the hell is Amlah and the article?
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:45 pm

thefourthman wrote:Where the hell is Amlah and the article?

I'd do it. But I have no desire to take on that responsibility again.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:55 pm

Batman #663 review

An odd, but still interesting story. Despite some odd wording from Morrison, there are some cool ideas and moments that are packed within the pages. Van Fleet's art is odd, but compliments Morrison's bizarre story.

7.8* out of 10*

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:49 am

thefourthman wrote:Where the hell is Amlah and the article?

Bitch, I've been busy.

Plus, A Game of Thrones >>>>>>>>>> anything having to do with the OH.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:57 am

amlah6 wrote:Bitch, I've been busy.

Plus, A Game of Thrones >>>>>>>>>> anything having to do with the OH.

How far into it are you?

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:22 am

Punchy wrote:How far into it are you?

about 600 pages

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:34 am

Red Hood: The Lost Days #1

A few years ago Jason Todd and Bucky returned from the dead. Since then Bucky has gone from strength to strength as Captain America and is a crucial part of the Marvel Universe. Jason Todd has popped up occasionally and his story is only now being fully told. Hmm.

This issue is mostly a story about Talia al-Ghul and her love for Batman. Her mothering of Jason seems quite at odds with what I've seen of Damien and while the tenderness fits the story it feels a bit odd for the character. Outside of this it's a well written book with a great emotional sting towards the end.

The art is as good as I've seen from Raimondi, capturing faces well in an issue lacking in big action. If the story continues with a similar pattern it will be well served, and Raimondi will find himself quite at home amongst the bat books. He's certainly more to my tastes than any of the artists on the main title since JH Williams.

A good start then, although I'm still irritated by Jason simply waking up one day and climbing out of his grave. Hopefully this will be addressed down the line.

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:44 am

:kicks zero for posting a review 30 seconds after I posted the front page thing: :x

http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/8579/176/

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:45 am

amlah6 wrote:about 600 pages

Just wait for the ending, it's a doozy.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:51 am

amlah6 wrote::kicks zero for posting a review 30 seconds after I posted the front page thing: :x

http://www.theouthousers.com/content/view/8579/176/

...disappointing, felt phoned in.

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:57 am

thefourthman wrote:...disappointing, felt phoned in.

They're all phoned in. I ran out of shit to say in these things 6 months ago.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:00 am

amlah6 wrote:They're all phoned in. I ran out of shit to say in these things 6 months ago.

:(

you wound me sir.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:03 am

amlah6 wrote::kicks zero for posting a review 30 seconds after I posted the front page thing: :x

Sorry dude, you coulda left me off if you wanted.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand