Advertisement

Call for Reviews: S.H.I.E.L.D. #2

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:40 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:And I'm right on top of you.

as it should be.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:42 pm

Eli Katz wrote:If I didn't read issue 1 of SHIELD, will it make reading issue 2 difficult?

I read one and it was a bit much for me. It really wasn't my cup of tea. I might bumb a joint from a friend before I read issue 2. It might be just what I need to enjoy it.

Perhaps I should have done that with Batman #700 too.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:10 am

starlord wrote:I read one and it was a bit much for me. It really wasn't my cup of tea. I might bumb a joint from a friend before I read issue 2. It might be just what I need to enjoy it.

Perhaps I should have done that with Batman #700 too.

Hmmm. Now I'm worried that i won't understand it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:20 am

Eli Katz wrote:Hmmm. Now I'm worried that i won't understand it.

I would certainly recommend getting a copy of #1, which shouldn't be hard, it's had a couple of printings.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:53 am

Until I've read #2 (in about three hours) I won't be able to say anything, but the first issue was one of the best Marvel comics I've read so I highly recommend reading it anyway.

It's not as busy as Final Crisis, but it does pack in a lot, which I think was Starlord's problem?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 52 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:55 am

S.H.I.E.L.D. #2 - 'Newton's Theory Of Eternal Life' - Hickman, Weaver and Strain

Story - I don't know if I'm just stupid or what, but I was really bloomin' confused by this issue. I mean, I enjoyed it, but not really sure why, and I don't even really know what happened.

Leonid chats with Leonardo Da Vinci, who spews out a lot of nigh-incomprehensible buzzword speak, which sounded fucking cool and interesting, but I'm not even sure if it actually is. We had some weird backstory for Leonid, where he's with alien lizards, and a Light Man, and a Dark Man and something else.

The Dark Man fights Iron Man and Mister Fantastic's dads, stuff explodes, I assume something happened with alternate realities and some-such and he disappears.

Leonid and Leonardo chat some more, and for some reason there's a page with just their dialogue. Did Dustin Weaver forget to draw that page or was there some reasoning behind it? It seems that the current Shield hierarchy are not living up to Da Vinci's high standards and he wants to bring them back to the right way. The end.

Wha? Huh?

I'm not going to say that this was a bad comic, as I said I enjoyed it, but it made little to no sense, almost every line of dialogue brought up a new massively significant high concept, and there was still very little character development of anyone, Leonid remains as dull as Hal Jordan here.

I mean, it's a lot of fun, and it seems very clever, but at this point to me, this book is all surface, all style, no substance. You've got all these out there proclamations about the Human Machine, and change, and the Forever Man and 'global projections of ideology', which all sound great... but I don't particularly care. Maybe I'm in the wrong frame of mind here, but something's missing which I can't quite put my finger on. I'm willing to stick around though, because this book is a fun ride, and I am truly hoping that by the time Hickman wraps this whole thing up, the gobbledegook that Da Vinci is mouthing off on will retroactively make sense. But at this point, I'm just looking at the thing, bemused, confused, and slightly scared. Yet I still had a good time. An odd one.

Art - Dustin Weaver is pretty great, aside from the random page of just dialogue, I love his work, and think this run will make him a star. Christina Strain's colours are also due some props, she really adds a lot to Weaver's pencils. Even if the story befuddled me, I can still look at the pretty pictures.

Best Line - 'This is what I do Leonid. I see the structure of things and how best to make them work. I am an Architect of everything'.

6/10

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:08 pm

S.H.I.E.L.D. #2 Newton's Theory of Eternal Life

"Change is not coming, it is here NOW."

I fully expect to hear this comic called pretentious and perhaps confusing. After all it introduces a lot of concepts without fleshing them out, characters refer to events we've never seen, and comes with not one but two delightfully cryptic prophecies. It does all this with aplomb though and the pace never lets up. While issue 1 spanned centuries issue 2 takes place in real time lasting no more than ten minutes at most. We have more action taking place in the now and the immediacy really works in SHIELD's favour, allowing Hickman to get away with one of his special text pages without destroying the book's flow. The speed of the book disguises how much information we're given and as the status quo from issue 1 is already having holes poked in it it becomes clear that this is something special.

The art is as gorgeous as it was before, with an amazing spread of the immortal city and a stunning page featuring a lot of Nathaniel Richardses particularly worthy of praise. Dustin Weaver is going to make his name with SHIELD and I really hope the book can keep him with Hickman for some time.

Arguably even better than the incredible first issue, SHIELD will turn Hickman and Weaver from a future greats to big name talents that Marvel has done very well to grab early.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:39 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I suggest Unknown Soldier # 21 for next week. It's a stand-alone story.

Despite my Archie comment last night, that's what I was going to pick. I had actually been planning to pick it for several weeks. Sadly it's not on Diamond or Midtown's list so I'm left with few options.

I thought about picking Rebels because it looks like something I might enjoy if I got into it, but it doesn't look new reader friendly and I keep thinking I'll pick up the first volume eventually.

I thought about doing a poll and putting the decision off on the people, but after going through the shipping list I didn't see the point. I never watched Darkwing Duck or Batman Beyond so both of the cartoon books starting this week are even less appealing than what was going to win the poll anyway.

[center]Image
New Avengers #1
selected reluctantly by amlah6[/center]WRITER: Brian Michael Bendis
PENCILS: Stuart Immonen

Find out who the New Avengers are, where they call home (gotta see it to believe it!), which Dark Avenger has joined their ranks, and just who the interdimensional demonic threat to our existence is! These heroes have gathered to take on the threats too dark, too dangerous, and too bizarre for any other team of heroes. The New Avengers are back!! And Bendis & Immonen are back with the Siege & Secret Invasion colorista Laura Martin!! You didn't really think Marvel was going to cancel their number one ongoing title did you? Heck no!! Backup feature: Another brand new oral history of the Avengers chapter by Bendis! Rated A …$3.99

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:02 pm

The selection of New Avengers disappoints me, but only because I'm looking forward to Darkwing Duck so much.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Hmmm. Now I'm worried that i won't understand it.

Leonardo Da Vinci speaks in prog rock lyrics.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:40 pm

The comic scared Punchy!
That is the most awesome thing ever.
The text page is an old pre-marvel Hickman tool. Instead of giving you a couple of pages of boring dialogue and talking heads - you get one page of the text alone.

Dugan
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Dugan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:18 pm

The Inker on New Avengers #1 has the best creator name ever: Wade Von Grawbadger! :smt041

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:49 pm

thefourthman wrote:The comic scared Punchy!
That is the most awesome thing ever.
The text page is an old pre-marvel Hickman tool. Instead of giving you a couple of pages of boring dialogue and talking heads - you get one page of the text alone.

Somebody is in ecstasy...

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 275 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:07 pm

I reread my review of issue 1, I remember scoring it rather high but still had the idea that this book would have a lot of trouble finding it's way and they probably wouldn't translate to a good monthly reading. Which is why I said I would buy the trade. Well having read this issue it has completely turned me off. The art is still gorgeous and the page of dialogue was alright but it sure isn't going to connect with many people myself included, not because it didn't have more pretty pictures, but because it didn't make sense. Which is what the book is quickly approaching. The book made no sense and that's putting it lightly. As Punch put it so well this book is no substance it's all high fluff but no point to it. If this is going to Marvels Planetary they made a very wrong turn and put out a truly inferior product.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:22 pm

S.H.I.E.L.D. #2

Story - I don't know if I'm just stupid or what, but I was really bloomin' confused by this issue. I mean, I enjoyed it, but not really sure why, and I don't even really know what happened.

Leonid chats with Leonardo Da Vinci, who spews out a lot of nigh-incomprehensible buzzword speak, which sounded fucking cool and interesting, but I'm not even sure if it actually is. We had some weird backstory for Leonid, where he's with alien lizards, and a Light Man, and a Dark Man and something else.

The Dark Man fights Iron Man and Mister Fantastic's dads, stuff explodes, I assume something happened with alternate realities and some-such and he disappears.

Leonid and Leonardo chat some more, and for some reason there's a page with just their dialogue. Did Dustin Weaver forget to draw that page or was there some reasoning behind it? It seems that the current Shield hierarchy are not living up to Da Vinci's high standards and he wants to bring them back to the right way. The end.

Wha? Huh?

I'm not going to say that this was a bad comic, as I said I enjoyed it, but it made little to no sense, almost every line of dialogue brought up a new massively significant high concept, and there was still very little character development of anyone, Leonid remains as dull as Hal Jordan here.

I mean, it's a lot of fun, and it seems very clever, but at this point to me, this book is all surface, all style, no substance. You've got all these out there proclamations about the Human Machine, and change, and the Forever Man and 'global projections of ideology', which all sound great... but I don't particularly care. Maybe I'm in the wrong frame of mind here, but something's missing which I can't quite put my finger on. I'm willing to stick around though, because this book is a fun ride, and I am truly hoping that by the time Hickman wraps this whole thing up, the gobbledegook that Da Vinci is mouthing off on will retroactively make sense. But at this point, I'm just looking at the thing, bemused, confused, and slightly scared. Yet I still had a good time. An odd one.

Art - Dustin Weaver is pretty great, aside from the random page of just dialogue, I love his work, and think this run will make him a star. Christina Strain's colours are also due some props, she really adds a lot to Weaver's pencils. Even if the story befuddled me, I can still look at the pretty pictures.

Story: 5
Art: 8
My Score: 6.5

I couldn't come up with anything that Punchy already hadn't said. And I'm getting ready for my vacation in Florida. So yes, I cheated this week. I just don't like this series. Sorry.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand