Advertisement

Call for Reviews: S.H.I.E.L.D. #2

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Sick, eh? Probably all those children you hang around with.

Did you read The Buzzard or Tales Designed to Thrizzle? They were both good and funny.

I (ironically) am trade waiting Thrizzle. :lol:
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:15 pm

thefourthman wrote:Re: The Buzzard... not yet, I have been falling asleep reading during this struggle with this cold. does not help that I have been working open to close for several days either. I get home, veg out in front of the television for about a half hour. Pick up the copy of Blacksad I have been reading for a week and wake up about four in the morning with a crick in my neck and the book on my chest.

Wish DCBS would send me my fucking Blacksad I paid for in February. :roll:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:16 pm

thefourthman wrote:I (ironically) am trade waiting Thrizzle. :lol:

:o You sonofamotherfucking bitch! :x
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Wish DCBS would send me my fucking Blacksad I paid for in February. :roll:

can't help you there, Dark Horse says it still isn't available according to their website, I got mine last week, Midtown had on shipping list for this week... who knows? Diamond fucking around is the answer.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:18 pm

thefourthman wrote:can't help you there, Dark Horse says it still isn't available according to their website, I got mine last week, Midtown had on shipping list for this week... who knows? Diamond fucking around is the answer.

Mine is sitting at DCBS. :(

They don't think that plus a half a dozen comics I've been waiting months for are worth sending me.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Spicy Dick wrote::o You sonofamotherfucking bitch! :x

just because I say it works better as a single issue publication doesn't mean that my hardcover collection gene doesn't kick in, override it and demand that shit be on my shelf. And since I have read enough of it to be able to sell it off the shelf, I no longer need to be up to date on it and can read at my leisure when it comes out in the pretty hardcover.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Mine is sitting at DCBS. :(

They don't think that plus a half a dozen comics I've been waiting months for are worth sending me.

??
seriously?
how do you know?
Is anyone else having the problem?
COMPLAIN

(also stop ordering hipster indie books that are so hip they neglect to actually get published. :lol: )

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:just because I say it works better as a single issue publication doesn't mean that my hardcover collection gene doesn't kick in, override it and demand that shit be on my shelf. And since I have read enough of it to be able to sell it off the shelf, I no longer need to be up to date on it and can read at my leisure when it comes out in the pretty hardcover.

I'm not even going to get started here. I already trounced your opinion in the GN thread about it, now it turns out you don't even practice what you preach! :roll:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:25 pm

thefourthman wrote:??
seriously?
how do you know?
Is anyone else having the problem?
COMPLAIN

(also stop ordering hipster indie books that are so hip they neglect to actually get published. :lol: )

#1, I'll just ignore that last bit since you know how many people have been waiting on the Blacksad HC. Don't even bother, I saw you try and recommend it to Eli Katz. :roll:

#2, yes I complained. I got a reply from them that was why I'm no longer ordering monthly comics online. I thought I could at least get what I paid for without hiring a lawyer though. :evil:

Anything more specific I would have to PM.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:I'm not even going to get started here. I already trounced your opinion in the GN thread about it, now it turns out you don't even practice what you preach! :roll:

no, you made assumptions about what I was saying. It works better as a single issue publication, I tend to read trades in one (or very few sittings) - there are lots of books I read that make that tend, not always. The Absolute Sandmans take me like a year to read. I think anyone who tries to read Watchmen in one sitting is asking for a stroke. All my second and on volumes of strips gather dust while I finish off the first volumes (Dick Tracy, Bloom County, Terry and the Pirates, The Spirit, Calvin and Hobbes). If I read Marvel Omnibii in one sitting, I would not get any sleep or go to work for a day or two.

Thrizzle, The Walking Dead, and a few other titles prove to me that Single issues can be a viable platform for many years to come. However, writers need to realize the format they are writing in and write to the strengths of that format. Decompressed chapters of Graphic Novels like JMS' Thor should just be published in Graphic Novel format and bypass singles altogether.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:#1, I'll just ignore that last bit since you know how many people have been waiting on the Blacksad HC. Don't even bother, I saw you try and recommend it to Eli Katz. :roll:

#2, yes I complained. I got a reply from them that was why I'm no longer ordering monthly comics online. I thought I could at least get what I paid for without hiring a lawyer though. :evil:

Anything more specific I would have to PM.

done, and I wasn't saying Blacksad was hipster, I was talking about the other half dozen books which I assumed would be copies of the ignatz series from Fantagraphics and other such high brow malarky that no one else reads. (except me and McKegan).

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:46 pm

thefourthman wrote:that, I can deal with... it makes sense, but Da Vinci was removed from his time and is being used by a cosmic entity, he isn't the cosmic entity in question.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I think the comic is brilliant so far. I love this kind of high concept book being done within the marvel universe. It is what I would hope Hickman coming to Marvel would eventually mean.

I think it's cool that Marvel is taking real storytelling risks. I hope it takes more of them. I just don't think this project works.

Maybe, as the story unfolds, the elements that I found problematic will end up making a lot more sense than they do now.

Let me know. I suspect this book will read much better collected.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:48 pm

I think it's also cool that Marvel is putting out a book that's worth arguing about and that provokes real discussion.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:06 pm

I won't be reviewing next week since I won't be getting my books until the following Monday. Or... it will be a really late review I guess.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I think it's also cool that Marvel is putting out a book that's worth arguing about and that provokes real discussion.

This is the book that will be talked about for the next ten years, don't forget.

We will have a lot of time to go over this.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand