Advertisement

Local 1-12

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Local 1-12

Postby Keb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:29 am

I just got the last two issues and I plan on re-reading the entire series as soon as I'm done Moore's Swamp Thang.

After a first read, I have to say I wasn't really happy with the series. I loved the first issue, second and third issues were cool, fourth and fifth were okay, and six to eight were kind of meh (seven was awful), nine was neat but not great, ten was pretty cool because I love Austin TX, an eleven was friggin' awesome (Kelly drew a COFFEE TIME* shop!) and twelve just left me frustrated.

I wasn't too happy about how the series deviated from being about cities to being about Megan McKeenan, who is, in my opinion, a simple character. The core stories about here were not really all that great, and mid-series Wood lost the drive to write about the city (at least I thought that). I can't say I'm fond of Megan because she's a typical bildungsroman-type character. I was hoping for more city less Megan.

With that said, issue eleven was the best not just because it was set in Toronto and captured the snooty preppy OCAD student well, but also because it put together a lot of really neat little things in the series. The art was great too. The drawings of the offices downtown were pretty on-point, as were the art gallery drawings.

This series was great for little things. The stuff lying around Megan's apartment (the Atmosphere CD :-D) and all that, it really showed Ryan Kelly's eye for detail and I think he totally outshined Wood in this series. The little essays in the back were cool at first, but after a while they just weren't doing it for me. I might splurge for the hardcover but I'm not sure at this point.

*Coffee Time is this chain of coffee and donut shops, really gritty and nasty, but they were the last chain in Ontario that allowed people to smoke in the shop and I used to go there with friends and sit and smoke and drink coffee all the time in my final years of high school.
SHABBA!

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:55 am

Brian Wood is totally underwhelming to me. Nothing of his that I've read has been anything but entirely average.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:59 am

I can see that. I'm in the same boat. He has some pretty good ideas, I think, but his writing is average and it usually meanders towards the end of things. I thought DMZ was a pretty cool series at least after reading the first paperback, but after reading the third I lost interest in the series completely.

Like, I said, the high point of the series was Ryan Kelly's art.
SHABBA!

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Liked in: 0 post

Postby toolverine » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:37 am

He didn't take enough time to develop the stories of local. I think part of that was a decision to appeal to teenage or recently teenage readers, but the whole project fell flat for mw.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:39 pm

It went that way with Demo too, with the focus shifting as the series wore on to the point where the last issue was an illustrated poem rather than a story of a superpowered teen.

I haven't read the last two issues yet, but I do remember that I loved the first few (esp the one about a band) and also the roommate issue. It's been fun, and I do like Brian Wood. Kelly is also awesome, I love all the black spaces and detailed cities.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:46 pm

nietoperz wrote:Brian Wood is totally underwhelming to me. Nothing of his that I've read has been anything but entirely average.
I agree. I think he's trying too hard to be indie and kewl.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:58 pm

john lewis wrote:I agree. I think he's trying too hard to be indie and kewl.

I think that's it in a nutshell, and it's totally off-putting. And DMZ is the most facile allegorical war story I've ever read.

jza1218

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby jza1218 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:06 pm

The only thing I've really loved of Wood's was The Couriers. Local was pretty good to me but really strayed from the main point

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand