Advertisement

Call for Reviews: S.H.I.E.L.D. #2

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

******
 
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 61 posts


Postby ****** » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:50 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Also, where have all the British people gone with their oily selves?


Robert Green induced national state of mourning, IMO.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:01 am

amlah6 wrote:Robert Green induced national state of mourning, IMO.


Well, how am I supposed to cast my re-make of The Young Ones with actual British people and guest appearances by Alexei Sayle, Dexy's Midnight Runners, and Ken Bishop's Nice Twelve??

Amoebas
User avatar
Son of Stein
 
Posts: 20249
Likes: 163 posts
Liked in: 296 posts
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:27 pm
Location: Auburn, MA
Title: Amorphous Anomoly


Postby Amoebas » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:09 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Also, where have all the British people gone with their oily selves?


http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/view ... 22#1872722

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26640
Likes: 59 posts
Liked in: 35 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:57 am

Eli Katz wrote:Yeah, it's nothing like regular superhero comics. But it has many similarities with post modern novels. The dialogue page is right out of William S. Burroughs, who used this technique 50 years ago to disrupt his novels.

I don't think it's an especially effective storytelling device. It draws attention to itself and diminishes the overall story.

But I'd love to see why some of you guys think the dialogue page is so effective.

I don't think he employs it that way though.

Certainly it was Burroughs did, and with him it also added to the keep you guessing style of his storytelling. You are right though, used in that manner it is ineffective.

This was not Hickman's best use of it. This could have easily been a black panel with the words back and forth in balloons. Only problem then is who is saying what?

In Pax Romana, it was its most effective. Seriously, those pages would have been entire issues by themselves of committee meetings that would have been near impossible to read in balloons.

Here, it does both. It is a break from the story in a certain manner, but given the way Weaver is playing with design (again I think Hickman is heavily influencing the layout and the design of the Celestial beings below Rome - this may even be part of what people are noting in the difference in the art for those sequences - although I suspect the cold static feeling of those panels is supposed to give you an otherworldly feel for the guys with the crazy hats).. it almost fits. Almost. This is certainly the one time he has employed the technique where it would not have been an overly drawn out sequence in standard comic narrative. From a purely postmodern stance though, it works as it calls attention to the words. There are as important if not more important in this book than a standard Marvel book.

Eli Katz
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 10918
Likes: 20 posts
Liked in: 55 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012


Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:54 am

thefourthman wrote:I don't think he employs it that way though.

Certainly it was Burroughs did, and with him it also added to the keep you guessing style of his storytelling. You are right though, used in that manner it is ineffective.

This was not Hickman's best use of it. This could have easily been a black panel with the words back and forth in balloons. Only problem then is who is saying what?

In Pax Romana, it was its most effective. Seriously, those pages would have been entire issues by themselves of committee meetings that would have been near impossible to read in balloons.

Here, it does both. It is a break from the story in a certain manner, but given the way Weaver is playing with design (again I think Hickman is heavily influencing the layout and the design of the Celestial beings below Rome - this may even be part of what people are noting in the difference in the art for those sequences - although I suspect the cold static feeling of those panels is supposed to give you an otherworldly feel for the guys with the crazy hats).. it almost fits. Almost. This is certainly the one time he has employed the technique where it would not have been an overly drawn out sequence in standard comic narrative. From a purely postmodern stance though, it works as it calls attention to the words. There are as important if not more important in this book than a standard Marvel book.

Interesting. Thanks.

Eli Katz
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 10918
Likes: 20 posts
Liked in: 55 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012


Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:06 pm

No Fourthy review? :(

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26640
Likes: 59 posts
Liked in: 35 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:13 pm

Tonight or tomorrow. I reread #1 saturday and then my cold kicked back in hardcore, i was okay sunday morning, but had an interesting day, to say the least and then yesterday I woke up with a swollen black tongue. No ickiness today though, so hopefully I have recovered? If not, I might actually have to break down and see a doctor.

Eli Katz
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 10918
Likes: 20 posts
Liked in: 55 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012


Postby Eli Katz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:22 pm

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:28 pm

Swollen black tongue?

Feel better.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26640
Likes: 59 posts
Liked in: 35 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Swollen black tongue?

Feel better.

it's gone now, but yeah... Morgan took a picture maybe I will post it on facebook.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:36 pm

thefourthman wrote:it's gone now, but yeah... Morgan took a picture maybe I will post it on facebook.


I think you should stop bandaging lepers and such.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26640
Likes: 59 posts
Liked in: 35 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:39 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:I think you should stop bandaging lepers and such.

Well my psoriasis makes me look like a leper if I don't maintain a strict cleaning regimen.

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:43 pm

thefourthman wrote:Well my psoriasis makes me look like a leper if I don't maintain a strict cleaning regimen.


Yeah, that's what killed off the Psoriasaurus. Somewhat lax cleaning regimen.

thefourthman
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 26640
Likes: 59 posts
Liked in: 35 posts
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm
Location: durham, nc
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom


Postby thefourthman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:54 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Yeah, that's what killed off the Psoriasaurus. Somewhat lax cleaning regimen.

well if they were cleaning themselves on the runways in Los Angeles, they were asking for it!

Victorian Squid
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 31777
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:04 am
Formerly: Schmormerly


Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:51 pm

I'm back!

This thing is so much faster than Windows Vista.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Supersoldier Washout, Yahoo [Bot] and 111 guests

Advertisement