Advertisement

Call for Reviews: S.H.I.E.L.D. #2

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:12 am

speaking of liberal ideologies, I am watching the new U2 concert video, I wish I could run three laps around a big ass circle stage and then sing all crystal clear. my fat ass has a hard time singing after I have to read and then go back to the choir loft to sing an anthem on sundays.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:13 am

bastard isn't even sweating.

That's it! I hate Bono too! :x

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:13 am

The arguments whether or not a "liberal democracy" induces homogeneity are pretty much political philosophy 101.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:14 am

thefourthman wrote:bastard isn't even sweating.

That's it! I hate Bono too! :x

Doesn't everybody?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:15 am

Spicy Dick wrote:The arguments whether or not a "liberal democracy" induces homogeneity are pretty much political philosophy 101.

:lol:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:16 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Doesn't everybody?

no... :oops:
I wish I could sing like him and had enough money to do all the good things he does for the world.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:23 am

thefourthman wrote:I will say this, Nightly News was Politically charged but almost neutral in its execution. Pax Romana could be seen as a conservative fantasy and Transhuman was morally neutral. Hickman has said that he likes to be thought provoking but would like to refrain from creating a political stance one way or the other. You could be right, that may be the way it plays out.

That being said, it is easy to see that his writing has a liberal ideology behind it.

Am I crazy, or are phrases like "global projection ideology" and "homogeneous liberal democracy" ominous and evil sounding? I mean, surely the world hasn't gone so insane that those kinds of hitleresque philosophies are considered preferable, are they?

And take into account, the guy saying this stuff was doing it in the dark, in front of some nefarious machine, and the protagonist of this book is being mentored by a guy who wants to bring down the organization saying these things. I'm fairly confident in my assessment.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:28 am

Jude Terror wrote:Am I crazy, or are phrases like "global projection ideology" and "homogeneous liberal democracy" ominous and evil sounding? I mean, surely the world hasn't gone so insane that those kinds of hitleresque philosophies are considered preferable, are they?

And take into account, the guy saying this stuff was doing it in the dark, in front of some nefarious machine, and the protagonist of this book is being mentored by a guy who wants to bring down the organization saying these things. I'm fairly confident in my assessment.

I am with you. And if the contrast between "liberal democracy" followed by a man in chains forced to be used as a tool of prognostication isn't intentionally ironic and used to show the flaws in the philosophy that preceded it, I don't know what to think.

I guess we will find out more in August when the next issue finally ships.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:54 am

Shield 2

A lot of this book was a big WTF to me, but I still dug it. I lol'd at Spicy Dick saying Da Vinci only speaks in Prog Rock lyrics, because it's true. It seems to me Hickman is putting all his eggs in Da Vinci's basket because Leonid doesn't know anything, much like the reader of this issue here. Da Vinci wants to take down what he helped build, because apparently S.H.I.E.L.D. is corrupt now. Since The Night Man is fucking shit up, I can't help but wonder if him and Da Vinci are on the same side here. I am also curious if this ties into his FF, because some of these monsters in Leonid's memories look like some of the things from the 4 kingdoms and the many different Nathaniel Richards when he approaches the Night Man. A lot of ideas proposed here, a lot of confusing dialogue. It doesn't have the WOW KEWL of the first issue. There is a cool fight scene happening elsewhere while Da Vinci waxes poetic.

A lot of attention is turned to the text page, and my thought on it is that it didn't make a lot of impact on me, either way. It wasn't a cool storytelling device, nor was it distracting or take me out the book. It was just there as part of the book. It was just Leonid and Da Vinci walking down some steps, not necessarily an art critical scene.

Weaver's art is really impressive to me. It's detailed and dynamic and he gets to draw some cool stuff. The coloring kind of bogs it down at times, but what can you do

Story 8
Art 9
Overall 8.5

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand