Advertisement

Review Group Week 227 - NEW NEW AVENGERS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Eli, you have to participate in this gn club!

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 659 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:48 pm

thefourthman wrote::shock:
[spoiler]I never would have guessed that you would hate a super liberal band.[/spoiler]

The thing is, it's not even like they're intelligently liberal. It's cheesy, testosterone liberalism.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:06 pm

John Snow wrote:Translator, but you can't prove he didn't edit out the boobies so it must be true I just posted it on the internet.

He adapted the dialogue.

Editorial could've edited out the boobies. Keyword: Could've

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Sorry it's so long, guys.

New Avengers #1

To preface, I am neither a Bendis hater nor a Bendis apologist. I’m somewhere in between. I love his Ultimate Spider-Man and Powers books and frequently reread the trades. He is also the only Avengers writer I’ve ever read, tracing back to the Dissembled era, when I got onto a certain website called Newsarama to look for spoilers because I was waiting for the trade.

His Avengers books have had their ups and down. Bendis knows how to write several characters well and almost always includes them in his Avengers stories. This is how Luke Cage, Wolverine, Spider-Man and Spider-Woman all became Avengers and the franchise is better for them. Bendis also knows how to really raise the stakes in his Avengers stories as well. Between the constant threats in Dissembled, House of M, and the lead up to the Skrull invasion (which was New Avengers’ finest hour IMO), Bendis obviously knows how to pitch a strong story, even if he can’t always deliver.

Bendis’ biggest flaws as a writer also come out in his Avengers stories. He often uses the same villains for extended times (the Hood was the New Avengers’ primary antagonist for thirty-some issues) and usually provides little to no character depth beyond “Luke Cage is a badass” or “Jessica Jones is a mother”. Frequently, Bendis relies on his pencillers (whom are always top-notch) to really deliver the stories, because his final chapters often fall short of the expectations that Bendis himself put on them.

So all in all, Bendis’ Avengers are a mix of good and bad.

The first issue of New Avengers (Vol. 2) is no different. Let’s start with the good: Bendis promptly reforms the New Avengers, sets them up in the Avengers Mansion and adds Ben Grimm and Victoria Hand to the roster. Bendis’ New Avengers cast is filled with characters that Bendis loves. He’s built these characters up and turned them into an extended family that just happens to filled with superheroes. Basically, the New Avengers are the JLI of the Marvel universe, without the ridicule and mockery.

The bad part of the story comes from Bendis’ choice of the latest threat to the New Avengers. Invaders from a magical dimension are invading the world and taking out the magic users of the Marvel universe to do it. Doctor Strange and Doctor Voodoo are quickly taken off the board, which annoys me immensely. These are the two top magicians in the Marvel universe, and yet every time Bendis writes them, they quickly get their ass kicked and need Luke Cage’s help to punch whatever demon has invaded earth back into submission. For the former and current Sorcerer Supremes, they certainly seem like pushovers in Bendis’ hands. As a long time fan of Doctor Strange (my father used to read me the comics while tucking me in including the issues featuring Brother Voodoo), it reeks of poor writing. Bendis either doesn’t understand how magic works in the Marvel universe or doesn’t understand it. If this arc goes south (and at this point, I don’t see how it can’t), I will send Bendis a copy of the Essential Dr. Strange Vol. 1 to remind me how the good Doctor is supposed to be written.

Anyways, Stuart Immonen’s art once again saves the day, turning a mediocre comic into a good one. As always, his pencils are a pleasure. He’s one of Marvel’s top artists for a reason after all.

To summarize: good art, good characters, Bendis doesn’t know jack about Marvel magic. Read at your own risk.

Story: 4
Art: 9

Overall: 7 (I rounded up to help offset my bias towards Dr. Strange being treated like a little bitch.)

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:12 pm

Jude Terror wrote:The thing is, it's not even like they're intelligently liberal. It's cheesy, testosterone liberalism.

When you're 18 and all fucked up, and there's a new song out that screams, "You got a bullet in your fucking head," there is nothing cooler.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:13 pm

thefourthman wrote:Eli, you have to participate in this gn club!

I look forward to it!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Jude Terror wrote:The thing is, it's not even like they're intelligently liberal. It's cheesy, testosterone liberalism.

No, I'm pretty sure Zach was super political and very vocal. Like I said, it was one of the reasons I didn't like them, that and they totally ripped Urban Dance Squad off.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 326 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:23 pm

Holy crap that comic was awful from top to bottom. The art showed signs of brilliance and then showed me nothing new all at the same time. NextWave it is not. This was the worst of bendis's avengers books and is even more pointless to be called a Number 1. Also DC Magic>>>>>Marvel Magic.

2 for total shit.
Last edited by guitarsmashley on Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 659 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:26 pm

thefourthman wrote:No, I'm pretty sure Zach was super political and very vocal. Like I said, it was one of the reasons I didn't like them, that and they totally ripped Urban Dance Squad off.

Yes, he was, but not in a thoughtful way, but in a way that screams "I got this checklist of popular rebellion topics - sign me up for every one! Bitchin'!"
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:30 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Holy crap that comic was awful from top to bottom. The art showed signs of brilliance and then showed me nothing new all at the same time. NextWave it is not. This was the worst of bendis's avengers books and is even more pointless to be called a Number 1. Also DC Magic>>>>>Marvel Magic.

4 for effort.

Aw, crap.

Dr Stranger
cheese

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Even Stranger Yet

Postby Dr Stranger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:32 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Sorry it's so long, guys.

... As a long time fan of Doctor Strange (my father used to read me the comics while tucking me in including the issues featuring Brother Voodoo), ...

Your dad is awesome!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:32 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Holy crap that comic was awful from top to bottom. The art showed signs of brilliance and then showed me nothing new all at the same time. NextWave it is not. This was the worst of bendis's avengers books and is even more pointless to be called a Number 1. Also DC Magic>>>>>Marvel Magic.

4 for effort.

The only thing I disagree with is the DC v. Marvel Magic. The correct answer is:

DC Magic=Marvel Magic>>>>>>>>Bendis Marvel Magic

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:33 pm

BlueStreak: all them words and not one mention of Luke's Sonic Clap! :x

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:34 pm

We need Punchy and Twigg here to defend NA otherwise this week isn't going to be as much fun. Don't they have the fucking internet in Greece? :x

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:35 pm

I think I might give this thing the Old Man treatment.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand