Advertisement

Review Group Week 227 - NEW NEW AVENGERS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:02 pm

New Avengers #1 - 'Possession' - Bendis, Immonen, Von Grawbadger and Martin

Story - Even as a big fan of Bendis' Avengers, I must admit I was kind of confused about the point behind this series. I mean, Bendis was already writing one heroic Avengers book, and the line-up of this book was pretty much exactly the same as Avengers. Why do we need New as well? When Bendis wrote Mighty and New together, it made sense to have 2 books, the same for New and Dark. But this... it seemed kind of arbitrary, an excuse to have Bendis write all his favourites.

And it appears that that's just what New Avengers volume 2 is. But on the basis of this issue, I don't really mind. This was an immensely enjoyable first issue, with many great character moments and humour. Maybe this book doesn't have a point, but what actually does in this life? As long as you enjoy it, it doesn't matter if it's pointless.

The main reason for this team seems to be that Luke Cage is unwilling to do take orders, and therefore Steve Rogers and Tony Stark let him pick his own team and move into Avengers Mansion. This may sound silly and petty of Cage, but it makes sense, his anti-authoritarian streak has been a huge driving force in New Avengers since #22, and if it just went away now, it wouldn't make sense. We also get some levity from Tony Stark's give me a dollar bit, and even Steve Rogers gets a joke in (you can't have Iron Man or Thor).

So Luke picks his bestest buddies, and they go to the Mansion, but hold on a minute! Victoria Bloody Hand is there! She worked for Osborn! Kill her! But of course, anyone who read Dark Avengers knows that Hand isn't all bad, and as such, she becomes the SHIELD liaison between the NA and Steve Rogers. I really like Hand as a character, and I'm glad to see she hasn't disappeared with the fall of Norman.

The main addition to the team in this issue (everyone else is basically the same as in the last issue of the previous volume, although Iron Fist is back and Spider-Woman is gone) is the Thing. That's right, the ever lovin' etc Thing. It's always weird seeing members of the FF outside of that group, but I think of anyone, Ben Grimm works the best, he couldn't have helmed a team-up book for so long if he didn't. I look forward to seeing what Ben contributes to the team.

The magical nature of the villain has proved troublesome for some, but I don't really mind, Bendis has handled magic very well throughout his run, and I'm of the opinion that if you try and explain it, it's not magic anymore. The nature of magic is that random shit happens, get over it, and accept that strange demons are possessing Hellstrom and Strange. Lie back and think of England.

Overall, this was a really fun start to this new volume, the main Avengers book may be all about the Earth-shattering threats, but this book seems to be about a group of heroes hanging out and having fun as well as the Earth-shattering, and it's the kind of book I can get behind. Maybe it didn't need a new #1, maybe it doesn't need to exist at all, but hey, comics don't need to exist, and we still love 'em. If you're a fan what Bendis did in 64 previous issues of New Avengers, this is the same book, but with a fresh lick of paint, get in there!

Art - I think Stuart Immonen may be one of my favourite comics artists of all time, he's just bloody amazing, he draws everything perfectly, he's flawless. When I close my eyes and think of Marvel Comics, I see his art. Just the best.

Best Line - 'Multitasking. It's my mutant power. Don't tell anybody'

8/10

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 553 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Punchy wrote:New Avengers #1 - 'Possession' - Bendis, Immonen, Von Grawbadger and Martin

Story - Even as a big fan of Bendis' Avengers, I must admit I was kind of confused about the point behind this series. I mean, Bendis was already writing one heroic Avengers book, and the line-up of this book was pretty much exactly the same as Avengers. Why do we need New as well? When Bendis wrote Mighty and New together, it made sense to have 2 books, the same for New and Dark. But this... it seemed kind of arbitrary, an excuse to have Bendis write all his favourites.

And it appears that that's just what New Avengers volume 2 is. But on the basis of this issue, I don't really mind. This was an immensely enjoyable first issue, with many great character moments and humour. Maybe this book doesn't have a point, but what actually does in this life? As long as you enjoy it, it doesn't matter if it's pointless.

The main reason for this team seems to be that Luke Cage is unwilling to do take orders, and therefore Steve Rogers and Tony Stark let him pick his own team and move into Avengers Mansion. This may sound silly and petty of Cage, but it makes sense, his anti-authoritarian streak has been a huge driving force in New Avengers since #22, and if it just went away now, it wouldn't make sense. We also get some levity from Tony Stark's give me a dollar bit, and even Steve Rogers gets a joke in (you can't have Iron Man or Thor).

So Luke picks his bestest buddies, and they go to the Mansion, but hold on a minute! Victoria Bloody Hand is there! She worked for Osborn! Kill her! But of course, anyone who read Dark Avengers knows that Hand isn't all bad, and as such, she becomes the SHIELD liaison between the NA and Steve Rogers. I really like Hand as a character, and I'm glad to see she hasn't disappeared with the fall of Norman.

The main addition to the team in this issue (everyone else is basically the same as in the last issue of the previous volume, although Iron Fist is back and Spider-Woman is gone) is the Thing. That's right, the ever lovin' etc Thing. It's always weird seeing members of the FF outside of that group, but I think of anyone, Ben Grimm works the best, he couldn't have helmed a team-up book for so long if he didn't. I look forward to seeing what Ben contributes to the team.

The magical nature of the villain has proved troublesome for some, but I don't really mind, Bendis has handled magic very well throughout his run, and I'm of the opinion that if you try and explain it, it's not magic anymore. The nature of magic is that random shit happens, get over it, and accept that strange demons are possessing Hellstrom and Strange. Lie back and think of England.

Overall, this was a really fun start to this new volume, the main Avengers book may be all about the Earth-shattering threats, but this book seems to be about a group of heroes hanging out and having fun as well as the Earth-shattering, and it's the kind of book I can get behind. Maybe it didn't need a new #1, maybe it doesn't need to exist at all, but hey, comics don't need to exist, and we still love 'em. If you're a fan what Bendis did in 64 previous issues of New Avengers, this is the same book, but with a fresh lick of paint, get in there!

Art - I think Stuart Immonen may be one of my favourite comics artists of all time, he's just bloody amazing, he draws everything perfectly, he's flawless. When I close my eyes and think of Marvel Comics, I see his art. Just the best.

Best Line - 'Multitasking. It's my mutant power. Don't tell anybody'

8/10

Only an 8? Hater.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:18 pm

great review punch!

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Punchy wrote:Overall, this was a really fun start to this new volume, the main Avengers book may be all about the Earth-shattering threats, but this book seems to be about a group of heroes hanging out and having fun as well as the Earth-shattering, and it's the kind of book I can get behind. Maybe it didn't need a new #1, maybe it doesn't need to exist at all, but hey, comics don't need to exist, and we still love 'em.

That's the main reason I'm positive about this book. The other two (or three or four) Avengers book make more sense logistically and stylistically, but this one seem like it'll be the most wacky fun. As far as the mischaracterizations (ie Luke's sonic clap) I'm not enough of a fan of the Marvel U to know the difference.

Writing: 6.5/10
Art: 8/10

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Klown wrote:That's the main reason I'm positive about this book. The other two (or three or four) Avengers book make more sense logistically and stylistically, but this one seem like it'll be the most wacky fun. As far as the mischaracterizations (ie Luke's sonic clap) I'm not enough of a fan of the Marvel U to know the difference.

Writing: 6.5/10
Art: 8/10

If anyone knows Luke Cage's characterisation it's Bendis.

People are even accusing him of mis-writing characters he himself created! (Maria Hill) That's how badly people hate him.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Yeah. Bendis' favorite characters aren't my favorite characters...although Ms Marvel old school used to be because probably I had a thing for blonds in short skirts as a kid. Nothing wrong with them today either. But kidding aside, I hate what has been done with her for the last 5 years at least.

Can't really accept Bendis' Luke Cage either, because he's either grumpy or needs to work some shit out with the chick who holds the baby. That's his two modes.

Wolverine and Spider-man. Please.

Iron Fist. I dunno, sometimes I think instead of another Avengers relaunch maybe Bendis should've written a Luke Cage/Iron Fist series instead especially since Danny is loose. You still have the chick who holds the baby.

Hawkeye's a character I think Bendis writes well when he's not killing him. His sort of wordy banter works well.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Punchy wrote:If anyone knows Luke Cage's characterisation it's Bendis.

People are even accusing him of mis-writing characters he himself created! (Maria Hill) That's how badly people hate him.

:lol: He's writing her exactly like she evolved under Fraction!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Tapir Man wrote:Yeah. Bendis' favorite characters aren't my favorite characters...although Ms Marvel old school used to be because probably I had a thing for blonds in short skirts as a kid. Nothing wrong with them today either. But kidding aside, I hate what has been done with her for the last 5 years at least.

Can't really accept Bendis' Luke Cage either, because he's either grumpy or needs to work some shit out with the chick who holds the baby. That's his two modes.

Wolverine and Spider-man. Please.

Iron Fist. I dunno, sometimes I think instead of another Avengers relaunch maybe Bendis should've written a Luke Cage/Iron Fist series instead especially since Danny is loose. You still have the chick who holds the baby.

Hawkeye's a character I think Bendis writes well when he's not killing him. His sort of wordy banter works well.

Her name is Jessica Jones!

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:38 pm

Punchy wrote:Her name is Jessica Jones!

Punchy it's J, just let it slide.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:39 pm

doombug wrote:Punchy it's J, just let it slide.

Yeah, I bet he knows the character's name, but is just pretending not to!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Punchy wrote:Yeah, I bet he knows the character's name, but is just pretending not to!

I know the baby's name is Jessica Jones. :roll:

Daughter of Power Man and KY Girl.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Tapir Man wrote:I know the baby's name is Jessica Jones. :roll:

Daughter of Power Man and KY Girl.

Waka waka

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:08 pm

New Avengers #1 by Bendis, Immonen, Von Grawbadger & Martin

I am a Bendis fan. I have almost every single Bendis comic published at Marvel (with the exception of Alias). I bought and loved Avengers Disassembled, Daredevil, Dark Avengers, Elektra, House of M, Mighty Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Invasion, Secret War, Secret Warriors, Siege & Spider-Woman. So when I tell you I don't see the point of this title, you will understand.

While Avengers had the benefit of minimizing the Bendis-speak that annoys everybody else, this seemed to go in the complete opposite direction. I read more short lines and corrected sentences in any comic that Bendis has ever written. And for the first time ever, it started to annoy me. That coupled with 5 pages of action out of a 22 page comic made me consider why I would want to continue with this comic. Then there's the matter of the characters. Luke Cage who basically spends the entire comic whining about one thing or another. Victoria Hand who should have been arrested and disposed off. Hawkeye in a third Avengers title this month. Mockingbird. :roll: And was Ben Grimm brought in because Bendis wanted a jewish character to be his Mary-Sue? What is this line-up, The Defenders? And after reducing Dr. Strange to has-been and trying to elevate Brother Voodoo, he's now doing a similar hatchet job on Voodoo?

This is Bendis taking every criticism targeted at him and trying to live down to those comments.

Thankfully, Immonen takes every shortcoming in the story and makes up for it with absolutely gorgeous art with the help of Von Grawbadger & Martin. I read this like I read a Loeb comic, ignoring the speech balloons and look at the beautiful art and it read much more elegantly.

If you want to read this comic, get some white-out and apply it to all the words. Trust me, it will improve your reading experience.

Writing 2
Art 10
Total 6

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:10 pm

After that last review, I was thinking maybe they should've been a new Champions or something. That'd be kind of cool.

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Tapir Man wrote:After that last review, I was thinking maybe they should've been a new Champions or something. That'd be kind of cool.

Marvel no longer has the rights to The Champions, some RPG company won the rights.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand