Advertisement

Review Group Week 228 - BULLET TO THE HEAD #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 17 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:31 pm

Wait, confuse me with McKegan??

:cry:

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Tapir Man wrote:Nah, I was stuck at the shop all day, usually I get out around noon and go there but at 5 PM it's in a really bad place to get home from.

I went to my local place but--I think I mentioned this--they seem to have quit ordering much besides mainstream Marvel & DC and blame it on price increases making them take few chances on books like this. :(

If I can I'll try and swing by there tomorrow afternoon.

summer glut makes it hard to.
Sea Bear and Grizzly Shark sold like fucking hotcakes, I could have used about fifty of them sum bitches, instead I still have 75 New Avengers #1's :lol: :cry: (God I wish I had some input in the ordering practices.)
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Tapir Man wrote:Nah, I was stuck at the shop all day, usually I get out around noon and go there but at 5 PM it's in a really bad place to get home from.

I went to my local place but--I think I mentioned this--they seem to have quit ordering much besides mainstream Marvel & DC and blame it on price increases making them take few chances on books like this. :(

If I can I'll try and swing by there tomorrow afternoon.

Are you on the East Coast, or west coast?

I'll send you my copy tomorrow if it'll get to you before next Wednesday.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Tapir Man wrote:Wait, confuse me with McKegan??

:cry:

I'm old and stressed out. I apologize and won't second guess my love for you again.

On a side note, I worried about me getting a copy of this from when I saw our invoice, but there was no one signed up, so I got my copy. I did not however receive my Akira Vol 2, which makes me a sad panda.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:34 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Are you on the East Coast, or west coast?

I'll send you my copy tomorrow if it'll get to you before next Wednesday.

Let me check Hipster Central at noon tomorrow but if not I may take you up on that.

I'm midwest.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:35 pm

thefourthman wrote:summer glut makes it hard to.
Sea Bear and Grizzly Shark sold like fucking hotcakes, I could have used about fifty of them sum bitches, instead I still have 75 New Avengers #1's :lol: :cry: (God I wish I had some input in the ordering practices.)

Was that any good?? They actually did have 2 copies of that but I didn't really look at it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 pm

I even bought Avengers #2 I was so sad.

And then I read it! :cry: :cry: :cry:

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Tapir Man wrote:Let me check Hipster Central at noon tomorrow but if not I may take you up on that.

I'm midwest.

I'm from Ohio, so worst case scenario, it'd get there on Monday.

If you need it, just PM me your address so I can get it off in the mail tomorrow.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Tapir Man wrote:Was that any good?? They actually did have 2 copies of that but I didn't really look at it.

Eh... it was alright. It was a joke done to death and then they beat the dead horse for a bit, but it was amusing for a minute. Kind of like a saturday night live skit.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:38 pm

Tapir Man wrote:I even bought Avengers #2 I was so sad.

And then I read it! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I warned you. I would warn customers, but then I would like to not get fired too.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:40 pm

BlueStreak wrote:I'm from Ohio, so worst case scenario, it'd get there on Monday.

If you need it, just PM me your address so I can get it off in the mail tomorrow.

Ok, thanks fellow Ohioan! :)

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:41 pm

thefourthman wrote:Eh... it was alright. It was a joke done to death and then they beat the dead horse for a bit, but it was amusing for a minute. Kind of like a saturday night live skit.

Oh dear.

48THRiLLS

Happy Pony Day!

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:50 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Is this thing gonna be impossible to get a hold of?

Was for me... my shop didn't have it :(

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:02 pm

I don't care if I can find it I'm just glad it isn't a total piece of shit, which is what we've read for the last month(my pick way included)
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:56 pm

Sorry it's short this week. I honestly didn't know what to think of this book, but I gave it the ol' college try. Bonus drinking game: Take a shot everytime I say gritty. :D

This was an…interesting comic. First and foremost, I didn’t know a thing about this book before I read it. Didn’t read the solicits, didn’t know the writer, didn’t know the artist. All I knew was that it involved bullets and heads. And not necessarily in that order.

So, we have here a story of two assassins and the fallout that comes from their latest kill. A senator is dead and the police want to know why. It’s a simple story and a simple introduction all things considered and that’s not a bad thing. Matz does a great job of establishing the grittiness of his crime story by not lingering on any one scene. However, Matz’s writing has its flaws. Nothing stands out about his characters and too often do the speech bubbles clutter his scenes. While I enjoyed the grittiness, I found myself uncaptivated by the story itself.

Colin Wilson’s art compliments the story. His pencils are rough and unpolished, capturing the darkness of the plot. He also does a good job of making the crime itself seem…almost mundane. Many of his frames lack a focus point, giving the comic the feel of a Dirty Harry movie. However, for all of Wilson’s strengths as a penciller, he sucks as a letterer. Speech bubbles are in poor locations and are needlessly big and there’s the occasional typo.

This comic is like a diamond in the rough. There’s plenty to like about it, especially if you’re a fan of crime books. While it could benefit from better production quality, I feel like it would almost take away from the grittiness of the book. Good show.

Story: 6.5
Art: 7.5
Overall: 7

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand