Advertisement

Review Group Week 229 - DEADPOOL: WADE WILSON'S WAR #2

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:40 pm

John Snow wrote:Compared to Bruce Wayne. Compared to your average funny book it was dark.

edit: from what I remember of it anyway, I haven't read it in 5+ years.

It was all white and torquoise and I read it last week. :p

Advertisement

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:50 pm

thefourthman wrote:It was all white and torquoise and I read it last week. :p

Yeah, but you've been Avengers Mansioning things a lot lately. :P

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 224 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Finally read this today after having it sitting with the rest of my books on my desk for 16hrs. Review coming in a couple of hrs. It will be positive though as I liked this issue even more than the last one.

In case you're wondering, even if you didn't read #1 you shouldn't be too lost...while both issues are part of the same story they're fairly self-contained for the most part except for some stuff thats pretty clear irrespective if you read one without the other.

In case you're wondering, I was tossing up between this and Invincible Iron Man Annual but in a coin toss, Deadpool won :P

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:01 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Finally read this today after having it sitting with the rest of my books on my desk for 16hrs. Review coming in a couple of hrs. It will be positive though as I liked this issue even more than the last one.

In case you're wondering, even if you didn't read #1 you shouldn't be too lost...while both issues are part of the same story they're fairly self-contained for the most part except for some stuff thats pretty clear irrespective if you read one without the other.

In case you're wondering, I was tossing up between this and Invincible Iron Man Annual but in a coin toss, Deadpool won :P

You chose poorly! :x

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Dragavon wrote:You chose poorly! :x
Is there really a competition between a Mandarin origin tale an a Deadpool origin tale? :P

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:10 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Is there really a competition between a Mandarin origin tale an a Deadpool origin tale? :P

Joe Kelly already did the best Deadpool origin tale. Swierczynski is just re-hashing it. I wanted to see what Fraction would do with the Mandarin.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 362 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:37 pm

John Snow wrote:His Iron Man: The Inevitable mini with Joe Casey from a few years ago was pretty awesome too.

The art was pretty awesome for that.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Having a little trouble getting this week's book...

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:44 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Finally read this today after having it sitting with the rest of my books on my desk for 16hrs. Review coming in a couple of hrs. It will be positive though as I liked this issue even more than the last one.

Thank you for not picking the $5 comic. 8)

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:47 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Having a little trouble getting this week's book...

Hipster store has it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:59 pm

BlueStreak wrote:Hipster store has it.

Must've...missed it or something when I was there..

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War #2

Deadpool, if there's a more divisive character in comics right now enjoying a Wolverine-level push its him. You either love him or hate him and there's hardly any middle ground it seems. I was a big fan but the way Marvel have been throwing Deadpool books at us the past year is crazy and I was seriously getting burned out with 4 monthlies coming out only to be joined by this MK mini.

With that out of the way, this is finally the tone I've been waiting for since Kelly left the book: funny, over-the-top violent, fourth wall breaking while still given glimpses of how disturbed Deadpool truly is.

Also, gone are the Pool-O-Vision or arguing with himself via dialog boxes from the past couple of years which I'm grateful for...it felt like those dead horses were being beaten to death in the above mentioned monthlies far too often.

As for the story of this issue outside of the general plot of the mini is pretty straightforward: the origin of Deadpool, if you can believe anything coming out of his mouth that is.

A neat thing about it was that the story was being told overlapped by a conflicting intel report that described Wade Wilson as an army screwup who was diagnosed with cancer and made to be a guinea pig against his will for Weapon X. Meanwhile in Deadpool's version he was a model soldier who was offered the spot in the program to cure his cancer and took it.

That eventually leads to the formation of team Weapon X which considered of other program graduates like Bullseye, Domino and Silver Sable....but wait, doesn't that contradict continuity? Sure does, but hey, its a MK title.

All of this is tied into the larger story of the mini which involves Deadpool on trial, Domino incarcerated and Bulleye and Silver Sable still unaccounted for. The cause for the trial? Deadpool eventually came to believe he and the rest of the team were comic book superheroes and this somehow led to an incident where Deadpool apparently killed countless innocents.

My thoughts: Deadpool is a character that usually requires you to throw your common sense out of the window like you're name is Mark Millar and common sense is a baby, hang on and just take the ride. He's not some kind of serious brooding character like Batman, Punisher or something like that, he's certifiably deranged killer with a sense of humor mixed with a twisted psyche as was very evident in the opening moment with the Michael Jackson mask (complete with classic MJ crotch grab :lol: ).

Once you get that out of the way along with the continuity question the story is solid. Swierczynski is a solid writer. Loved his Iron Fist and the mini's he wrote in Deadpool #900.....of the best stories in that book. He knows how to structure a good story irrespective of the massive contrast in tones between this and his other comic work and knows precisely how to use the character. At a time where Gischler is running on decompression fumes and Daniel Way seems to be at the lowest he's been on DP since he took the book I'm glad Swierczynski put this mini out. It's Deadpool done right, which is very rare to see these days where he pop's up in every damn book.

Pearson's art is nice. It's a bit different than what I'm used to, especially in some frames, but there's no denying he can draw and he sure drew his ass off whether its close-ups or the more detailed shots.

Story: 8.5
Art: 8

Overall: 8.25

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:17 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Must've...missed it or something when I was there..

I guess the hipster store...had it?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:21 pm

BlueStreak wrote:I guess the hipster store...had it?

Er, I think I was looking under the wrong letter of the alphabet maybe or something, I always get those confused, especially on Thursdays..

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:41 am

Deadpoool: Wade Wilson's War #2

Well I have absolutely no clue what happened in #1, and the story at least makes me feel as if I didn't need to read it. Assuming that #3 details the sinaloa incident then I have no idea what #1 dealt with and I was only slightly made to care. The character of wade is one where when you pick up a title starring him, you are in for comic relief. Not to say there is anything wrong with that, but the average deadpool comic is never going to be the stuff of legends. There are some chuckles parts here and there, like the michael jackson scene. It was a fun story and I am slightly interested in where it goes next, but not for $3.99. At $4 a medicore origin story isn't really all that all that great.

The art is nice, I was able to enjoy the story. The style kinda fit with the tone of the story, but nothing to write home about. Overall this was an ok comic made a little brighter by by deadpool's colorful personality.

Story - 5
Art - 4.5
Overall - 4.75

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand