Tuesday, May 31, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Exclusive! Exclusive! Hggulghhlgghhlghhlghh!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Review Group Week 229 - DEADPOOL: WADE WILSON'S WAR #2

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Some addled 90 year old woman just totaled my car, chances are I won't be able to get this this week.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm

dude what is up with your karma? you should start working in a soup kitchen or something.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:30 pm

p.s. are you okay?
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:07 pm

The last charity work I did was in a retirement community, so there you go.

I'm fine, just not in a good mood. One of her neighbors came over and said she'd been causing a lot of near-accidents, hopefully she'll be taken off the road before she kills someone.

******

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:10 pm

I still don't get why they don't euthanize old people or at the very least make them take driving tests.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:14 pm

John Snow wrote:I still don't get why they don't euthanize old people or at the very least make them take driving tests.


She didn't know who she was, where she was, what to do...she didn't even remember she had a daughter when I was trying to figure out who to call for her. She wasn't hurt physically either, but I had to call the paramedics because she was not there at all.
User avatar

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:21 pm

I was going to write a longer review for this, but honestly, this book just really wasn't worth a longer review.

This is your a-typical Deadpool story. Like all Deadpool features, it features a half dozen metatextual jokes, at least one breaking the fourth wall reference, and plenty of mayhem and destruction. The story is confusing if you didn't know it was out of continuity and boring once you figure out that little tidbit. The art is serviceable but not spectuacular.

Story: 5
Art: 5
Overall: 5
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:39 pm

Northlanders #28 - The Sea Road

Brian Wood is a writer doing his best to give single issue storytelling a place in comics today, and Northlanders hasn't had a truly stand-alone issue a full year, so after the epic Plague Widow story we're treated to this one-off story of a Viking navigator having something of a mid-life crisis at sea.

This story of men lost at sea in the hunt for new lands was brilliantly done. The fishy hallucinations, the shock and awe in Iceland and downbeat prophetic ending all worked perfectly and the pitch black humour that has occasionally popped up here really pepped up the comic. A nice breather after the magnificently depressing story that preceded it.

Fiona Staples is new to me, but her art here is wonderful. She was given a lot of water to draw and it never manages to look boring. The single panels of scenery and the wonderful depictions of some badass natural wonders aren't something you get a lot of in mainstream comics and her art ranks right up there with Northlanders' typical top notch work.

In a week where I grabbed a lot of my favourite books, this was easily the best. A very underrated title with a very unusual set-up, Northlanders is yet to disappoint me and this would be an excellent issue to not disappoint you.

9


Wait. Deadwhat? Wade Wilson's who? #Which? Oh that. Apparently I forgot all about that as soon as I put it down. That gets a different number because I liked the art.
3
User avatar

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Hermit_Sage » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:43 pm

BlueStreak wrote:I was going to write a longer review for this, but honestly, this book just really wasn't worth a longer review.

This is your a-typical Deadpool story. Like all Deadpool features, it features a half dozen metatextual jokes, at least one breaking the fourth wall reference, and plenty of mayhem and destruction. The story is confusing if you didn't know it was out of continuity and boring once you figure out that little tidbit. The art is serviceable but not spectuacular.

Story: 5
Art: 5
Overall: 5


Oh crap I didn't even realize it wasn't in continuity, oh yeah this is a very meh deadpool story
User avatar

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:28 pm

Sire wrote:Oh crap I didn't even realize it wasn't in continuity, oh yeah this is a very meh deadpool story


I'm presuming it is, as it's the only way the story makes any sense.
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:14 pm

WADE WILSON'S WAR #2 has two problems. The first problem is that it's supposed to be funny, but it isn't. Funny dialogue in comics is hard to pull off. That's because comics don't have any comic delivery or any comic timing. It has to be funny on the page, because it isn't going to be made funnier by a talented actor or a wacky sound effect. For the most part, the lines in this book are flat and uninspired. They certainly aren't amusing, quotable lines a la Oscar Wilde or Joe Orton.

The only somewhat funny moment in the book happens when Deadpool is unmasked and it's revealed that he's Michael Jackson … well, actually, that he's wearing a Michael Jackson mask under his superhero mask. This moment works because it's a visual gag. Michael Jackson had a strange, effeminate face, and placing that face on a superhuman body looks funny. If Swiercznski could have incorporated more visual gags into the story, maybe the overall book would have worked. But one successful gag just ain't enough to make this a funny comic.

My second problem with the book is that it's an origins story, where we know the outcome already -- Wade Wilson becomes Deadpool -- and so it's a story without any suspense. As far as I'm concerned, these kinds of origins stories should be avoided as much as possible. And if they are told at all, they should be inserted into a larger story and should take up no more than a page or two. Because let's be honest, these origins are usually not very entertaining.

Yes, I know Barry Windsor-Smith's WEAPON X and Frank Miller's BATMAN: YEAR ONE are classics, considered by many to be the best Wolverine and Batman stories ever told, respectively. And both tell origins where the endings are already known. Don't these books show that a retelling of a hero's early days can be worth exploring? Yes, sure. But both of these books go well beyond the predictability of the origins genre and tell stories that, above all, add a new dimension to these much-loved heroes. If Wolverine is, at times, a mindless killer, we understand why that's the case after reading WEAPON X.

WADE WILSON'S WAR, by contrast, brings nothing new to the Deadpool character. He's the same wacky, nihilistic guy that he's always been. It's just more of the same, but in a story where the ending is already known. There is, in other words, nothing to make this book interesting, except the occasional gag. But as I said before, there's only one gag in this book that actually works.

If there's one good thing about this comic, it's the art. Jason Pearson draws with energy and style, giving all the characters a manic vibrancy. My only complaint is that he draws almost every character at some point with his mouth hanging open. I understand that Pearson is trying to ham up his illustrations and create a silly look. But he draws the same expression one too many times and, after a while, it just looks as though every character is about to vomit.

Who knows? Maybe they all realize that they're trapped in a terribly pointless and unnecessary book.

STORY: 2.5
ART: 7
OVERALL: 4.75
User avatar

Mr_Batman

Review Grouper

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:36 pm

No comics this week for me. For sure next week because of B&R
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:50 am

Zero wrote:Northlanders #28 - The Sea Road

Brian Wood is a writer doing his best to give single issue storytelling a place in comics today, and Northlanders hasn't had a truly stand-alone issue a full year, so after the epic Plague Widow story we're treated to this one-off story of a Viking navigator having something of a mid-life crisis at sea.

This story of men lost at sea in the hunt for new lands was brilliantly done. The fishy hallucinations, the shock and awe in Iceland and downbeat prophetic ending all worked perfectly and the pitch black humour that has occasionally popped up here really pepped up the comic. A nice breather after the magnificently depressing story that preceded it.

Fiona Staples is new to me, but her art here is wonderful. She was given a lot of water to draw and it never manages to look boring. The single panels of scenery and the wonderful depictions of some badass natural wonders aren't something you get a lot of in mainstream comics and her art ranks right up there with Northlanders' typical top notch work.

In a week where I grabbed a lot of my favourite books, this was easily the best. A very underrated title with a very unusual set-up, Northlanders is yet to disappoint me and this would be an excellent issue to not disappoint you.

9


Wait. Deadwhat? Wade Wilson's who? #Which? Oh that. Apparently I forgot all about that as soon as I put it down. That gets a different number because I liked the art.
3


:? Why'd you review a book that wasn't picked?
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:51 am

Hopefully I'll get to the shop in another week. once again please don't put me in the red.
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:22 am

doombug wrote::? Why'd you review a book that wasn't picked?


I'm being irreverent! Like Deadpool!

Anyway, I did review the book in question at the end. But if I tried to think of more words to describe I'd feel bad. People tend to pick books they like for the RG and I wouldn't wanna go nuts calling it terrible. So I thought I'd make a meta-joke on how forgettable it was by forgetting which book I was supposed to review. I think it was a bit too subtle though, since you're the seemingly first person who noticed.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], MSNbot Media, Ward Fowler and 102 guests