Advertisement

Review Group Week 229 - DEADPOOL: WADE WILSON'S WAR #2

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:45 am

I have nothing against Deadpool. He's got a good gimmicky personality and a good costume design. I think, though, he is a very hard character to write, because he needs really sharp, funny dialogue.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:03 pm

starlord wrote:DeadPool Wade Wilson's War #2

I'm going to be brutally honest here, and a part of me hates doing this since I always tend to feel guilty afterwords... but... THIS SUCKED! Even as someone who isn't much of a fan of this character, this issue was even worse than the zomibe crap they were doing for a while. Talk about a forced story, forced dialogue, even the art felt forced, rushed, and boring.

This is probably in my top five least favorite books we've ever read. It's just lucky that I still have that horrible taste of Grant Morisson's Batman "prose" in my mouth.

Story: .5
Art:1
My Score: 1.5

not having read the book yet or your review, did Pearson not illustrate this issue? I find a 1 hard to believe.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:05 pm

also thanks for the well wishes.

I just got back from the rehab center. Glad to report she looks like my mom again. the rehab center looks like a cheap motel with random people in wheel chairs hanging out, but does not smell like old people, a hospital or urine, so I guess it could be worse and our friend at Duke says it is a quality place. So we will see.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:07 pm

also at Starlord. I think your score helped me with making a score in the future. Grade the art and writing on a five point scale and add together. It won't give me a weird .25 or anything, but it should make for more interesting and probably realistic scores (often times I have to raise or lower one of the others to give the book the score I feel it deserves)
I think I will try it out for a while.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:38 pm

Sire wrote:Deadpool is on my pull list, I and only dropped Deadpool team up for money, and Deadpool crops cause i hate Liefield, I love deadpool

this was really just a meh issue

I believe a new artist is coming aboard with #7. With that said this may be the best Rob's art has ever been.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:24 pm

I know we're supposed to review books no matter what they are unless there's an issue, but I couldn't justify $3.99 for a second issue in a miniseries about a character I'm tired of. I'm sorry.

But I'll never get tired of Batman :wink:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:25 pm

If I can pick this up still next week I will.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:03 pm

thefourthman wrote:not having read the book yet or your review, did Pearson not illustrate this issue? I find a 1 hard to believe.

What else has Pearson done? Ver few artists do I really follow. And rarely is there an artist that I haven't disliked in at least one book. Except George Perez. George can never make a mistake.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:21 am

I'll read and review tomorrow. Today was really weird.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:38 am

Marvel should get me to write Deadpool.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 556 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:17 am

Eli Katz wrote:Where are all the reviews? I guess we have to keep picking Bendis books, or else nobody bothers to participate.

It's a holiday weekend. Mine is coming right now. :)
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:44 am

Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War #2 (of 4)
This being the second issue of a book where I didn't read the first, about character I am pretty indifferent with was good way to have me start off not liking this. I won't lie, I did get a few laughs in but I never really came around on this one. The art was kinda blah and I just don't see the appeal of another Deadpool mini that is sort of an origin that is also out of continuity... I guess it was written in a somewhat clever way and the Michael Jackson mask was kinda funny but I was just not that into this one, sorry :smt102

STORY - 5

ART - 5

OVERALL - 5

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:09 am

Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War #2 Review

What a piece of shit book. I can tolerate some real crap when it comes to comics. I'm not too picky. I'm not looking for fucking Proust in my Deadpool comic books (though this one is so boring there are similarities), but at the very least, I'd like to believe that the creators are putting forth their best effort. If this is Duane Swierczynski's best effort... well, there's no need for this review to get mean.

Let's just say that this book is packed with lame or poorly executed gimmicky concepts, cringe-worthy dialog, and uninspired attempts at humor, and since those things are what a Deadpool comic depends on, the reader is pretty much fucked when they purchase this book.

The premise is odd and doesn't really make sense. Deadpool is on trial before Congress or some shit like that (lame or poorly executed gimmicky concept #1), and he is retelling his own origin story (lame or poorly executed gimmicky concept #2), which involves a covert government black ops team creating a team of super-powered miscreants (lame or poorly executed gimmicky concept #3) and sending them to do secret evil government dirty work (lame or poorly executed gimmicky concept #4). At the same time, parts of Deadpool's story, or possibly all of it, as the writing and art isn't clear enough to differentiate, is bullshit, so we see what might have actually happened alongside what Deadpool is saying happened (lame or poorly executed gimmicky concept #5). Also this occurs in an alternate universe apparently, which is not only lame or poorly executed gimmicky concept #6, but also nonsensical, since Deadpool's history has been pretty much dragged through the gutter already by Marvel, meaning no one would really complain if this book just took place in continuity, except perhaps for the use of Domino, Silver Sable, and Bullseye, who are completely nonessential to the story and appear for no reason other than that the creators must have thought it would be totally wicked to use them. Basically, there is no valid reason this book could not have been made to fit into current continuity, or vice versa.

The plot here is atrocious. Deadpool approaches his trial or hearing or whatever it is using some "you can't handle the truth" defense, and compounds this with wacky, zany, irreverent shit-talking which fails on every level of attempting to be funny. Every time Deadpool makes a Michael Jackson or Lady Gaga reference, I am filled with embarrassment for reading this. Did someone leave a douche open? It's getting kind of chilly in here. I realize that writing funny dialog in a comic book is tough, because not everyone is funny. However, Deadpool is a character that Marvel has pushed into a corner where every single panel he appears in must be outrageously funny or ridiculous, or it comes off as sad and pathetic. Deadpool has become a one-dimensional character, defined by his gimmicks, and as a result requires a writer who excels at those gimmicks to work. Swierczynski is not that writer. This is more Marvel's fault than his for accepting this pitch, likely because a Deadpool comic is guaranteed to sell no matter how bad it is.

The art here is also uninspired. It's not terrible, and it's not exactly flawed, but it's inconsequential and generic. The style isn't great, and it manages to tell a story on only the most rudimentary level. After Deadpool cringeworthily tells the Jugglers that he can beat up the entire government, Pearson shows him beating up some guards in a few awful panels where he awkwardly punches or kicks guards while singing Lady Gaga lyrics. It is drawn like a moderately talented teenager is doodling during Math class so he can show his friends at lunch. It doesn't belong in a Marvel comic book. Of course, Pearson may just be phoning it in - I certainly would if I was handed this script and told to draw it. That's really no excuse though. Both creators are to blame for this book sucking ass.

Deadpool used to be a pretty cool character, but even his most die-hard fans have to admit he is overexposed and watered down, not to mention reduced to an all gimmick, no substance character at this point. However, it IS possible to write a decent Deadpool book. Way's main title is not bad and funny at times. Merc with a Mouth has actually gotten decent. Deadpool Team-Up has had some good stories as well. So it's not impossible to put out an enjoyable Deadpool book. This book is not that, and so we have to accept that the creators fail here, and they fail miserably and in public. Shame on them.

If you want to read a good Deadpool book, pick up Deadpool Corps, one of the best books on the stands period. Leave this shit alone.

Score: 1 (It doesn't even succeed at failing well, so it doesn't earn a zero.)

Sorry Doombug.
Last edited by S.F. Jude Terror on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:10 am

Wow I really intended to say "This book was a piece of shit. Score: 1" but I just started and couldn't stop.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Why you apologizing to me? I'm not Duane however the hell you say his last name. :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand