Advertisement

Tumor

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 61 posts

Tumor

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:36 am

I posted this in the GN thread, but it's an awesome book worthy of it's own thread...

Excellent book. Definitely one of the better crime/noir reads of the past year and is right up there with Criminal, The Killer and Parker. It has the feel of an old b&w PI noir flick, but with a bit of Memento mixed in for good measure. Well worth checking out, maybe my favorite book of the year so far.

It also followed what I would consider to be the ideal publishing model if you expand it beyond being exclusive to the Kindle and available on all of the ebook/iPad devices. The first issue was free and all subsequent issues were 99 cents making it a relatively cheap read online followed by a nice extras loaded hardcover with cloth binding and heavy grade paper for $14.99. When you compare that to the 200 page tpb's published by Marvel and DC it's a hell of a deal.

From the publisher...

Written by: Joshua Hale Fialkov
Illustrated by: Noel Tuazon

From the Harvey Award-nominated creative team behind Elk’s Run comes Tumor, a haunting Los Angeles Noir graphic novel. Frank Armstrong has an inoperable brain tumor that’s killing him. In his final days, with his body, senses and mind failing him, he’s going to do the one thing that he’s never been able to do before – save the girl.

Tumor is for Mature Readers (contains Graphic Violence and Adult Content).

Tumor was the first serialized comic to be created exclusively for the Amazon Kindle. The first chapter, distributed for free, was the #1 download in the Comics and Graphic Novels section in the Kindle bookstore for two months. The seven subsequent chapters are available for download for 99¢ each.

In March 2010, a digest-sized, black-and-white, 240-page hardcover collecting all eight chapters, will be released. The extras include:

• “B&E: A Frank Armstrong Mystery” short story by Joshua Hale Fialkov

• Joshua Hale Fialkov and Noel Tuazon’s original pitch for Tumor

• Ain’t It Cool News interview with Joshua Hale Fialkov

• Character sketches and early concept designs by Noel Tuazon

• Frank Armstrong’s Los Angeles: A Tour of Frank’s City and Its History by Joshua Hale Fialkov

Reviews

“This tragic and hard-nosed noir adventure is one of those reads where you just can’t wait to read the next chapter.” – Ain’t It Cool News

“Fialkov’s razor sharp dialogue flows into Tuazon’s expressive washy art like a shiv between your ribs. Pure noir heaven!” – Jeff Lemire, creator of the Essex County Trilogy and Vertigo’s Sweet Tooth

“A private investigator, a seedy underworld, time jumps, hidden connections… It feels like I’m reading the bastard nephew of ‘Memento’ in comic form – only cooler.” – Jonathan Hickman, creator of The Nightly News, writer of Fantastic Four

“Anyone who cares to know me also knows I hold Joshua Fialkov’s work in high regard, and they’ll be shocked to learn that I think Tumor puts everything that came before it in the dirt. Fialkov and Tuazon effortlessly show all the hard-boiled posers and dried-up hacks who think they know noir just how weak their sauce really is. When I finished chapter one, all I could muster was an envious, ‘Sons of bitches.’” – Phil Hester, writer of The Darkness, creator of Firebreather

http://www.archaia.com/blog/titles/tumor

Advertisement

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:39 am

Sounds a bit like Mark Waid's "The Unknown"

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:57 am

Chesscub wrote:Sounds a bit like Mark Waid's "The Unknown"

Just from reading the description of The Unknown, ummm... no.
Last edited by ****** on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:08 am

John Snow wrote:Just from reading the description of The Unwritten, ummm... no.

Not the Unwritten, The Unknown.

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:17 am

Chesscub wrote:Not the Unwritten, The Unknown.

Too many uns.

Unwhatever, Tumor is straight noir, it doesn't have any supernatural elements.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:20 am

John Snow wrote:Too many uns.

Unwhatever, Tumor is straight noir, it doesn't have any supernatural elements.

Throw Unthinkable into the mix of Uns, I had a tough time for a couple of months. :lol:

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:21 am

And I will definitely check this out.

Inkbot01
Naked, Greased-Up Deaf Guy

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Inkbot01 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:31 am

Looks awesome. Also, on a side note, Duane did some great work taking over for Brubaker on the Iron Fist title.

www.inkbot.net
Online Comic Site
New Issues Every Week!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 959 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:47 am

I love hard boiled crime stories, but that guy's Deadpool book was really a stinker.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:53 am

Jude Terror wrote:I love hard boiled crime stories, but that guy's Deadpool book was really a stinker.

Swierczynski only wrote the introduction for this.

And that Deadpool comic sucked because it was a Deadpool comic, not because of Swierczynski. :x

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand