Advertisement

Review Group Week 230 - BATMAN & ROBIN #13

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I was going to politely inquire how things were but your next post answered it so I impolitely edited it out.

because see next post wasn't clear? :wink:

all right gotta get back to work...

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:47 pm

thefourthman wrote:because see next post wasn't clear? :wink:

all right gotta get back to work...

It wasn't clear what we'd be seeing in your next post, no.

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:03 pm

thefourthman wrote:a. thanks for noticing I haven't posted or logged in for two whole days.

I noticed, but it wasn't like you were going to stay away for longs.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:11 pm

Batman and Robin #13
Grant Morrison’s Batman and Robin is a Batman book of two worlds. The first exists in Morrison’s mind, the world where the wildest and craziest ideas push the limits of fiction and storytelling. The second is Batman’s established home, the world of Gotham City and the Dark Knight, built up with over 70 years of tales. Morrison’s continuing Batman story begins to escalate even further, culminating of a second possible death of a Batman.

Morrison’s writing continues to be hit or miss. It’s almost as if he writes one or two issues of quality storytelling to draw the readers in and then hits them with a concentrated mess of Morrison gobbily gook. This issue certainly falls in the latter category. In one issue, the reader is treated to pages of Morrison’s Batman piecing together nonexistent clues solving a mystery of a character introduced only a few issues prior. Then, the reader gets another batch of Batman expositing that a disaster averted in the first issues was actually part an even more devious plot which happens to be set into motion at the end of the issue. It’s deliberately heavy-handed story telling that harkens back to the Silver Age. On the plus side, Morrison continues to endear Damien Wayne, current Robin and Batman of the future. Over the last several months, the Batbooks in general have made him a likable little shit, obnoxious yet enjoyable to read. This book proves no exception.

Frazer Irving’s art continues to disappoint in high profile books. His oversimplified style of art doesn’t mesh well with the high-tech, spastic Morrison Batman book. Between the lack of backgrounds in most of his panels to the additions of wrinkle lines on the face of every character in the book, it simply fails to deliver a needed punch.

Hopefully, with Morrison’s standard exposition dump now out of the way, he can focus more on delivering a quality story instead of exploring how far he can push the envelope with a high-profile book.

Story: 5.5
Art: 4

Overall: 4.75

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Batman and Robin #13 is what a comic book should be. Frazer Irving knocked it out of the park on art. His Joker sent chills up my spine. Grant really seems to be reaching the Climax of this storyline he's been working on since his first issue of Batman. The scene between Joker and Damien was worth $2.99 alone.

Simply put best issue of Batman and Robin yet
10/10

Hermit_Sage
Wrasslin' Fan

Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:42 pm

wait wait are people bashing the ENTIRE run of Morrison on Batman and Robin or just this issue?

because i haven't read this one yet, but overall Batman and Robin is a top notch book.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Sire wrote:wait wait are people bashing the ENTIRE run of Morrison on Batman and Robin or just this issue?

because i haven't read this one yet, but overall Batman and Robin is a top notch book.

I'm just bashing this issue.

I've liked his first, third and fourth arcs on this book. The second one sucked, in part because of Tan's pencils. Irving's art sucks too, which hinders this book a lot.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Sire wrote:wait wait are people bashing the ENTIRE run of Morrison on Batman and Robin or just this issue?

it's goddamn awful.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:45 pm

I don't know what the fuck people are talking about. This was the best issue of Batman and Robin since issue #1.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:47 pm

I don't think there are many Morrison fans at the review group

Without a doubt Batman and Robin is one of the top 5 best books on the stands

Hermit_Sage
Wrasslin' Fan

Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:49 pm

chap22 wrote:it's goddamn awful.

the issue or the entire run on Batman and Robin is awful?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Daringd wrote:I don't think there are many Morrison fans at the review group

Without a doubt Batman and Robin is one of the top 5 best books on the stands

eh.. there are a bunch of hipster wannabes who want to hate everything he has done since Final Crisis, but love Seaguy. :?

Batman and Robin is balls to the wall fun. Batman was solid, except for RIP and maybe the novella.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Sire wrote:the issue or the entire run on Batman and Robin is awful?

I think he was just talking about himself.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Postby Daringd » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:50 pm

thefourthman wrote:eh.. there are a bunch of hipster wannabes who want to hate everything he has done since Final Crisis, but love Seaguy. :?

Batman and Robin is balls to the wall fun. Batman was solid, except for RIP and maybe the novella.

See I LOVE RIP and was blown away by the prose issue

Postby ****** » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:50 pm

chap22 wrote:it's goddamn awful.

BnR is the greatest supes book on the planet.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand