Advertisement

Review Group Week 230 - BATMAN & ROBIN #13

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:14 pm

John Snow wrote:Post hate here pls, it's what all the cool brit teens are doing today.

It's just another reason, like your SOD, that I don't envy you one bit.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:47 pm

Batman & Robin #13

I've read the first half of Morrison's B&R run so far, and was planning on reading this arc when it's released in tpb but since I've loosely followed spoilers and flipped through the occasional floppy recently I figured it was no big deal to switch gears and buy this issue. Maybe I'd be hooked and return to buying the single issues.

It's a fairly entertaining comic on its own, but people who say it's not like R.I.P. can argue that all day long and I'll still have some of the same concerns when reading Batman & Robin as I did when R.I.P. was about halfway through and I started to get this little worry in the back of my head that all the little tantalizing clues weren't really going to add up to much more than window dressing, or story dressing if you will.

I just finished re-reading The Invisibles for the second or third time for no real reason other than I was rummaging through some stuff in storage and they turned up. One of the best things about that book was the way a lot of the little details or subplots came together later or in the end, and made the over-all story richer--the clues added up to something. Something still open to a lot of interpretation on the reader's part but not the garbled mess of pointless clues and dodges that R.I.P. was at the end. I suppose you could argue that The Invisibles is a long run of comics, and Morrison's run on Batman-Final Crisis-Return of Bruce Wayne-Batman & Robin may all add up to a complete story in the end--maybe so, but R.I.P. was still not a satisfying piece of it.

The point in the issue where Dick is stating "Fact 1: Dominoes. Informally known as bones." makes me worry there's some half-baked detective work going on. It sounds like Adam West should be wearing the cowl in this scene. But, if Dick's got everything all figured out since he was 12, he wouldn't be getting shot, at least so it appears, in the future several pages earlier. Needs a large exit wound though, or I figure this is just more theatrics.

I admit I'm intrigued by the return of Dr Hurt, since not giving the reader anything coherent in the slightest regarding this character was one of R.I.P.'s weaknesses. I still don't get him, but the alternate scenes of the Wayne's after seeing Zorro are pretty compelling. Seems as though this may tie into Return of Bruce Wayne maybe, so it gives me hope this may all make some sense in the end.

The pages with Damian and The Joker were the best part of this issue, Frazer Irving's art really pulls off the scene. I like his take on B&R even though the lack of background detail occasionally annoyed me. More often than not the background tones and hues were deftly handled, but I still like to see where people are at once in a while.

After reading this issue a few times, all I can say about the chance of me buying #14 is, it's possible.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Sire wrote:the issue or the entire run on Batman and Robin is awful?
both.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Moonshine drinker wrote:both.

I'm not surprised that you feel that way.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:39 pm

GLX wrote:In my opinion, for a comic to be given a 0, it must be horrible on every conceivable level. Would you place an issue of Chuck Austen's X-Men work over this comic?

Honestly? Yeah, I would. I'd also put Grayson's run on Nightwing before this book. And I haven't hated everything Morrison has done since Final Crisis. In fact as much as I despised that series, I enjoyed it better than pretty much anything he has done in the Bat Universe. Not that there haven't been single issues that I came away more impressed than I expected to, but overall I think this is the worse writer to have ever written Batman.

Not only that, but he has made the character of Damien the suckiest Robin ever. For all of those who thought Jason Todd was bad, Grant has just taken the same basic comcept and amplified it. Damien is NOT a hero, nor should he be walking around with them. The crowbar scene with The Joker is proof positive of that. Sure, it's cool irony for whatever you want to call it, but it just makes him less of a likeable human being than I already thought was possible.

I realize I'm in the one percentile and there will always be two sides of the Grant Morrison argument. I'll never say that I hate the man's writing on a whole... I don't. There's quite a few things that I have really enjoyed and actually put his Animal Man run in my top 10 picks for Bubba's next list, but for me personally, he's taken my all time favorite comic mythos and turned it into a huge joke.

I'm really sorry guys. I was trying to be humerous in this weeks review because I get so personally frustrated at trying to find a nice or gentle of way of trying to say what I really wanted to say in two words: Worthless Shit. Personally I would have found that rude and offensive, so I tried to put a dark comic spin on it.

I applaud all of you that do like him. I'm not a very bright man, nor have I ever claimed to be, so that is probably my problem with what he's doing here. If that's it, I can accept that. Grant's Batman is just not for me.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:42 pm

I'm upset that Starlord didn't want a handjob.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:42 pm

starlord wrote:Honestly? Yeah, I would.

:smt011

I'm just gonna agree to disagree.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:50 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I'm upset that Starlord didn't want a handjob.

:smt107 When did I turn that down?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:53 pm

starlord wrote::smt107 When did I turn that down?

starlord wrote:Okay, but I'll take it for all of us. I'm just that kind of friend. :-)

guitarsmashley wrote:You'll say anything to get me in your pants.

doombug wrote:I'm kind of surprised to see Star react that way.

guitarsmashley wrote:me too. He needs a hand job.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:56 pm

YES! Yes I need a handjob. God it's been years since I've actually just had a handjob. That sounds like a lot of fun.

(not including that solo stuff that I tend to do at noon, five, eight, and midnight)

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:57 pm

starlord wrote:YES! Yes I need a handjob. God it's been years since I've actually just had a handjob. That sounds like a lot of fun.

(not including that solo stuff that I tend to do at noon, five, eight, and midnight)

Why don't our loved ones realize that sometimes a good old hand job is all we want?

- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:58 pm

GLX wrote::smt011

I'm just gonna agree to disagree.

That's what friends do. :-)

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:59 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Why don't our loved ones realize that sometimes a good old hand job is all we want?

I know, right?! Mutual masturbation to me can be just as intimate if not more than screwing.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:04 am

starlord wrote:That's what friends do. :-)

Yeah. At least we won't do anything crazy like fight in the Queer Heroes thread. :-D

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:07 am

starlord wrote:I know, right?! Mutual masturbation to me can be just as intimate if not more than screwing.

I mean come on, how about a little reciprocation of the hand play.

- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand