Advertisement

Review Group Week 231 - GORILLA-MAN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:52 pm

thefourthman wrote:I had hoped to knock this out tonite, but 4thbro got a dui last week and now I am his chauffer and shit and I was supposed to have the night off from that but his ride to his alcoholic assessment backed out on him and now I have to do it! Stupid family.

Point the dummy in the direction of the nearest bicycle.

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:52 pm

thefourthman wrote:all right back to packing shit to ship, later yall.

Come back soon!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 481 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:40 pm

starlord wrote:Eli reviewed it and I read it but want to read it again before I review it. I really wasn't that impressed though.

Eli did not read past page 3 he said.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:47 pm

I read it but it was utterly forgettable.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 177 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Time Masters: Vanishing Point #1

Is next weeks pick! 8)

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:54 pm

doombug wrote:Time Masters: Vanishing Point #1

Is next weeks pick! 8)

Good book. Thank god.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:00 pm

doombug wrote:Time Masters: Vanishing Point #1

Is next weeks pick! 8)

[center]Image
Time Masters: Vanishing Point #1
selected by doombug[/center]Written by DAN JURGENS
Art and cover by DAN JURGENS & NORM RAPMUND

"The Search for Batman" starts here! Vanishing Point – where time ends – is tearing itself apart, and one of the keys to keeping reality from being torn asunder is finding exactly where Bruce Wayne is in the time stream! Rip Hunter puts together a high-powered band of Time Masters to travel throughout history in search of the World's Greatest Detective, but can even the combined might and skill of Superman, Green Lantern and Booster Gold help the Time Master pinpoint where Batman went at the end of FINAL CRISIS?

DCU fans won't want to miss this 6-issue companion series to the highly anticipated BATMAN: THE RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE (see page 77)!

DC Universe | 32pg. | Color | $2.99 US

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:08 pm

There's no point in giving this a long review.

Basically, this issue is another nail in the coffin of Atlas. I feel like Marvel gave Jeff Parker enough rope to hang himself with, and this issue (along with the main Atlas title) just shows how Parker has been unable to capture the magic of the original miniseries.

The story is lame, the art sucks. This book can best be described by my friend who saw this on my couch last night: "What the fuck is a Gorilla Man and why the hell would anyone buy this?"

Story: 2
Art: 2

Overall: 2

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:12 pm

I'll either Byrne steal this on my break tomorrow, or do a good review for Amoebas' week.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:42 pm

48Thrills, sorry I didn't like this issue much, it was okay but nothing to write home about. Hope things have calmed down after the dog incident and glad you weren't bitten yourself. Sorry to hear that whole story, and I can relate to being in those circumstances.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Gorilla-Man #1

Huh. I have no problem with talking monkies or gorillas at all. Talking animal's are fun. This talking animal... not so fun. It's nice to learn the origin of this guy, and maybe if I had read Atlas at all I'd find this more interesing (though by the sound of it I'm thinking no). But within the first four pages I was really struggling to get through this. The action scene's were generic at best, the art wasn't too bad but nothing to write home about. There was nothing here to make me want to read the rest of it. But I'm giving it a higher score than last week because even as dull as this book was, at least the characters were likable.

Story: 3
Art: 5
My Score: 4

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:59 am

so I actually liked this...and I know I'm about to be yelled at...is Agents of Atlas any good?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 177 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:16 am

guitarsmashley wrote:so I actually liked this...and I know I'm about to be yelled at...is Agents of Atlas any good?

It's a strong book that takes things first established in a what if from the 90's as well as what Busiek set up in Avengers Forever and really expands on it.

Plus you have a robot named M11 who is basically the most awesome thing ever. 8)

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:41 am

guitarsmashley wrote:so I actually liked this...and I know I'm about to be yelled at...is Agents of Atlas any good?

The original mini is excellent, the follow-up series that ties into Dark Reign is pretty good. The current series that is about to be cancelled is okay, but lacks the magic of the earlier series.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:40 am

The Original mini is one of the funnest things I have ever read... the 2 attempts at an ongoing were both lackluster.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand