Advertisement

Review Group Week 231 - GORILLA-MAN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:46 am

Victorian Squid wrote:48Thrills, sorry I didn't like this issue much, it was okay but nothing to write home about. Hope things have calmed down after the dog incident and glad you weren't bitten yourself. Sorry to hear that whole story, and I can relate to being in those circumstances.

Thanks... that whole thing is sad and unfortunate, now lawyers are getting involved and my neighbor may have to put her dog down.

Don't worry about not liking this... I have never taken personally someone not liking my picks or the average of my score... unless it is a Bendis book, if you don't like him you are dead to me :P

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:34 am

48THRiLLS wrote:Thanks... that whole thing is sad and unfortunate, now lawyers are getting involved and my neighbor may have to put her dog down.

Yeah, I figured that's where things would be headed.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:56 am

Gorilla-Man #1(of 3) - 'Ken Hale, The Gorilla-Man In: The Serpent And The Hawk' - Parker, Caracuzzo and Charalampidis

Story - Well, that was certainly a comic about a talking Gorilla shooting guns on a motorbike. Yep, it sure was.

Books like Gorilla-Man are the kind of comics where you don't really want to have high expectations. You want to see a talking Gorilla shoot things, and that's it, you're not expecting anything more. It's the kind of comic that works on a high-concept, almost Internet-meme level. And in this issue, Parker certainly delivers on the wacky high-concept stuff. Gorilla-Man Vs. A Zombie-Spider-Borgias and a load of buxom hench-chicas. The opening 9 pages are just the kind of silliness you'd expect from a comic entitled Gorilla-Man.

But things get a little more sedate once Gorilla-Man is sent on a new Agents Of Atlas adventure by Jimmy Woo, he even decides to use an Image-Inducer a la Nightcrawler to hide his Simian nature. Where's the fun in that? This main plot seems to follow the pattern of the last few Atlas stories, with the Agents (or one Agent) heading into a rogue Atlas cell and sort it out.

So there you have it, Gorilla-Man shoots things and cracks some jokes, done and dusted.

Except it's not. You see, previous stories have understandably focussed on the Gorilla side of the Gorilla-Man equation, and it's worked out fine in that afore-mentioned OTT meme sense. But now Parker has finally turned his attention to the 'Man' inside Gorilla-Man. We are getting an insight into Ken Hale's personal history and life. Plucked Charles Foster-Kane like from Depression-Era Missouri, Ken becomes a Pulp-style adventure, journeying across the world with his new Guardian from a young age. Parker has always enjoyed tackling storytelling styles and eras in the Atlas stories, and I'm glad to see Ken Hale's Young Indiana Jones style life shown here. I assume this flashback will show eventually how Ken became the Gorilla-Man eventually, but for now it's interesting to see the contrast between the Gorilla and the Man. I think in our childish delight at seeing talking monkeys, we forget that being trapped as a Gorilla must be a pretty shitty thing to deal with, and I like that Parker seems to be exploring this. Some readers may ask why a character as goofy as Gorilla-Man really needs to be humanised and explored in depth, but I'd say a character can only survive as a joke for so long before it gets old. The novelty of a Gorilla with guns may run out at any time, and then, we'll need to see a real character underneath all the wackiness.

This is a book of contrasts, much like the character, and I did enjoy it, as a massive fan of Parker's work on Atlas (cancelled again, alas!) I'll take any of these characters whenever I can get it, and when they're pleasantly surprising like this, all the better.

Art - Giancarlo Caracuzzo is an artist I'm not familiar with, but he does strong work here. He draws a good Gorilla, nice and expressive, but still realistic as a Primate. His work chiefly reminded me of Dan Panosian, who was the artist on a couple issues of the first Agents Of Atlas ongoing (cancelled! alas!). When an artist is adept at drawing a realistic American dustbowl as he is a giant Spider-Monster, then you know he's good.

Best Line - 'Mamma Mia! The Gorilla-Man!'

7/10

Hermit_Sage

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: OH Elections Commissioner
Formerly: The Middle Sage, Phenomenal Sire

Postby Hermit_Sage » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:03 am

sadly gonna have to pass on this.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:34 pm

GORILLA-MAN #1 (of 3)
I am starting to think that Jeff Parker caught lightning in a bottle when he wrote the first Agents of Atlas mini that came out a few years back, because since he has attempted twice at an ongoing that have now both failed (and deservedly so IMO) and He has written the Agents of Atlas back-ups in Incredible Hercules that I found underwhelming... now we have These Agents of Atlas mini's the first which was about Marvel Boy and now this Gorilla-Man mini. My first main problem with this comic was... not enough Gorilla. I didn't like the veil that masked his Gorilla awesomeness and I felt that all the bad-ass moments that he has had in previous Atlas adventures where lost because of that. I also didn't care for how this ended... it just sorta ends with no hook to make me come back. I was at first expecting a full on Gorilla-Man origin story and when I saw that I wasn't gonna get that I at least hoped for some awesome Gorilla-Man bad-assery full of fun one liners and 4 guns a blazing in all of his hands and feet... did anyone notice that he had boots on the whole issue except when he was using his feet to shoot? I know it's a nit-pick and I don't really care but since I was disappointed with issue I noticed it... anyways... I did really like the art despite that, Caracuzzo draws a pretty cool Gorilla and the motorcycle pages are fun... I wouldn't be disappointed to see a little more of his art on other books.

I probably won't finish out this series which is a shame because I was so excited for it when it was announced, I don't know what Parker is doing here but he needs to do less of it and more of this!Image

It hurts me to score this low since I am a big fan of these characters and think Parker is a good writer but they can't all be hits I guess...
STORY - 5
ART - 8
OVERALL - 5

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 355 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:30 pm

I liked this issue a lot. I thought the first few pages were junk but once the action was over the book did nothing but shine. This isn't a book I'll continue but it did do two things, it introduced me to Jeff Parker and it made me go back and buy the first Agents of Atlas book. I can't say that many of the books we review do that for me. Good job review group.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:09 pm

Gorilla-Man #1

So I just read this... not a whole lot to say. The action at the beginning was pretty standard and the setup for the story that followed didn't offer a lot of intrigue. Maybe if you dig Atlas or Gorilla-Man this might have offered something for you, but I couldn't get into it. The art wasn't much to look at either.

Story: 5
Art: 4
Overall: 4.5

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Gorilla Man #1

See John Snow's review. Same. If Atlas isn't selling as a team book, I don't see how books on single members like this are gonna work either.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:53 pm

I plan on doing this review after I get packages processed in an hour or two, but I just stopped by to say, as much as I currently love Daredevil, what kind of stupid shit is this quote:
"We always have choices Foggy. And Matt just threw all of his away."

Not only did the writer not read what he wrote, but obviously neither did the editor. Unfortunately, it is the kind of stupid shit that makes no sense at all that people do actually say every day!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:55 pm

thefourthman wrote:I plan on doing this review after I get packages processed in an hour or two, but I just stopped by to say, as much as I currently love Daredevil, what kind of stupid shit is this quote:
"We always have choices Foggy. And Matt just threw all of his away."

Not only did the writer not read what he wrote, but obviously neither did the editor. Unfortunately, it is the kind of stupid shit that makes no sense at all that people do actually say every day!

So it's realistic dialogue!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:56 pm

Punchy wrote:So it's realistic dialogue!

just because people do talk like that, doesn't mean that writers should write like that.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:58 pm

thefourthman wrote:just because people do talk like that, doesn't mean that writers should write like that.

... yes it does.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Punchy wrote:... yes it does.

no it doesn't... if you are going to write stupid shit like that, you should at least point out how much of an assanine thing it is to say. IF foggy had said "How can he throw them all away if he always has them." or something like that, I would be cool with it, but then it would break up the scene, so it's best just not to write stupid shit like that.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:01 pm

thefourthman wrote:no it doesn't... if you are going to write stupid shit like that, you should at least point out how much of an assanine thing it is to say. IF foggy had said "How can he throw them all away if he always has them." or something like that, I would be cool with it, but then it would break up the scene, so it's best just not to write stupid shit like that.

I bet you're the only person who noticed this. You pick up on the oddest things.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:02 pm

Punchy wrote:I bet you're the only person who noticed this. You pick up on the oddest things.

doesn't make it any less right.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand