Advertisement

The Star Trek Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 142 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:19 am

chap22 wrote:that post might almost have hurt me if i didn't know it was coming from a big fat guy who's most likely wearing a pirate shirt. or a muu-muu. :roll:

:P :-D

:shock:

Is it dress-up Friday?? Nice! :D

Advertisement

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:20 am

chap22 wrote:look here Sigmund...sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. :roll:

Bill Clinton said that too.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 420 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:33 am

chap22 wrote:that post might almost have hurt me if i didn't know it was coming from a big fat guy who's most likely wearing a pirate shirt. or a muu-muu. :roll:

:P :-D
You must have messed up your comb-over when you typed that in such a tizzy.

(and I look HAWT in this muu-muu)
-

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:35 am

Jonathan wrote:Bill Clinton said that too.

I still say "Ewwww" when I think about that. :(

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:40 am

Black Kryptonite wrote:I still say "Ewwww" when I think about that. :(

I love the British sense of humour. Back during the whole scandal, Cahnnel 4 news had an exclusive hour-long interview with Monica Lewinsky. Just after she talked about that dress the show went to a commercial break. The ads: two for stain removers, one for detergent and one for washing machines! Genius.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:40 am

nietoperz wrote:I love the British sense of humour. Back during the whole scandal, Channel 4 news had an exclusive hour-long interview with Monica Lewinsky. Just after she talked about that dress the show went to a commercial break. The ads: two for stain removers, one for detergent and one for washing machines! Genius.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:41 am

Black Kryptonite wrote:I still say "Ewwww" when I think about that. :(
Besides the ickiness of a vag-juice cigar, couldn't tobacco have potentially messed up her innards?
-

kingbobb
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby kingbobb » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:41 am

I agree, the first 2 seasons of TNG are just...bad. Especially as a fan, knowing what comes later, it's really hard to sit through those episodes. There are times when it looks like they filmed Season 1 with a fish-eye lens.

Later seasons, and I hate to say it, but it was those that werer produced after Roddenberry had passed, were far superior. All Good Things should have been saved for the first TNG film. Not only would it have made a far better film than Generations, we would all have been spared having Kirk killed by some falling construction. They could have easily still worked Kirk into a film based on All Good Things, what with all the Q Time Hopping.

I've seen a lot of DS9. Not as much as other series. I think DS9 is maybe the better overall series between the Trek series, but it's not really the best Trek series. I think that goes to Voyager. I watched the first 2 seasons of Voyager before losing track of it, but I re-watched the entire series a little over a year ago when recording them off of Spike TV. For its entire run, Voyager manages to out Trek TOS in terms of capturing the ideas and ideals that Roddenberry attempted to capture in his creation. It also managed to successfully portray female captain who was more than just a version of Kirk with boobs.

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby AaronW » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:41 am

Black Kryptonite wrote:Maybe I'm being a heretic, but I find most of TOS to be kinda bad. There are a few diamonds in the rough, but it's surrounded by all types of cheesiness.

:smt097

The plot of pretty much every Star Trek show since TOS was ripped in some fashion from a TOS episode. It all goes back to Kirk.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:44 am

kingbobb wrote:For its entire run, Voyager manages to out Trek TOS in terms of capturing the ideas and ideals that Roddenberry attempted to capture in his creation.
I enjoyed Voyager for what it was, but the Federation/Makhi (sp?) resolution went beyond 'forced' into LAME. Imagine a boat with U.S. and Taliban soldiers--would they stop fighting and agree to work together to row the boat home?
-

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:45 am

Aaron_W wrote:It all goes back to Kirk.
Kirk would be Sisko's wing man, because Sisko PWNs.

Fact.
-

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:45 am

kingbobb wrote: I think that goes to Voyager. I watched the first 2 seasons of Voyager before losing track of it, but I re-watched the entire series a little over a year ago when recording them off of Spike TV. For its entire run, Voyager manages to out Trek TOS in terms of capturing the ideas and ideals that Roddenberry attempted to capture in his creation. It also managed to successfully portray female captain who was more than just a version of Kirk with boobs.

Voyager had potential, but it was squandered. Every time something interesting happened the writers pushed the 'reset' button (except for Paris and Torres' relationship, though the two actors had zero chemistry together). It was just unsatisfying: so much could have been done with the Maquis angle but wasn't. Even the finale was flubbed, with the ship arriving home in the last second and no clue what was to happen to the characters now that they actually were home.

The show could have been great, but instead was a massive clusterfuck.

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby AaronW » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:47 am

kingbobb wrote:
I've seen a lot of DS9. Not as much as other series. I think DS9 is maybe the better overall series between the Trek series, but it's not really the best Trek series. I think that goes to Voyager. I watched the first 2 seasons of Voyager before losing track of it, but I re-watched the entire series a little over a year ago when recording them off of Spike TV. For its entire run, Voyager manages to out Trek TOS in terms of capturing the ideas and ideals that Roddenberry attempted to capture in his creation. It also managed to successfully portray female captain who was more than just a version of Kirk with boobs.

kingbobb wrote: but it's not really the best Trek series. I think that goes to Voyager. I watched the first 2 seasons of Voyager before losing track of it, but I re-watched the entire series a little over a year ago when recording them off of Spike TV. For its entire run, Voyager manages to out Trek TOS in terms of capturing the ideas and ideals that Roddenberry attempted to capture in his creation. It also managed to successfully portray female captain who was more than just a version of Kirk with boobs.

:smt108

:smt043 :smt044

Voyager was mindblowingly awful. Without a doubt the low point of Star Trek and maybe TV sci-fi in general.

1. TOS
2. DS9

3. TNG

4. Voyager

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:47 am

I mostly agree with you, nieto. (I liked the abrupt aspect of the finale in lieu of a Victorian-esque "Ten Years Later" schtick.)

The "Year of Hell" episode kicked all kinds of ass until they frickin' hit the reset button. It would have rocked so hard to see the crew continue the journey home after seriously getting their asses kicked.
-

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:47 am

cncoyle wrote:Kirk would be Sisko's wing man, because Sisko PWNs.

Fact.
erroneous. Kirk was so pimp he didn't even need a wing man, and he sure as hell wouldn't ever be anybody else's.

he might have thrown Sisko a few used scraps if he felt pity on him, but that's about it.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum