Advertisement

SDCC: More Young Justice Details Come to the Surface

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 202 posts

SDCC: More Young Justice Details Come to the Surface

Postby LOLtron » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:56 pm

ImageShortly after the Batman: the Brave and the Bold Panel, Greg Weissman and Brandon Vietti talked about their upcoming show, Young Justice. The talk sheds new light on the characters (namely which incarnation of Robin and Kid Flash are used) and possibly a future spoiler for Brightest Day revealed as well.

Weissman and Vietti confirmed the following during the panel:

- The Robin and Kid Flash used for the cartoon will be the Dick Grayson and Wally West versions.

- Black Manta is Aqualad's father.

- Besides the reveal earlier today of Rob Lowe as Captain Marvel. It was brought up that Bruce Greenwood (Batman: Under the Red Hood) would be reprising his role as Batman for the show. Also Phil LaMarr will be voicing Aquaman and Alan Tudyk will voice Green Arrow.

- The show takes place in the DC multiverse (aka 52 worlds) namely Earth-16.

- The voice cast for the core characters will be:

Jesse McCartney as Robin/Dick Grayson
Jason Spizak as Kid Flash/Wally West
Kari Peyton as Aqualad
Nolan North as Superboy/Conner Kent
Danica McKellar as Miss Martian/M'ggan M'orzz
Stephani Lemelin as Artemis
Last edited by LOLtron on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 170 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:57 pm

- The Robin and Kid Flash used for the cartoon will be the Dick Grayson and Wally Westversions.

[meme]ragecorps[/meme]

And with that all my hope for the show just went down the drain. How do you call the show Young Justice and not have TIM DRAKE AND BART ALLEN IN THIS AS WELL!? :roll:

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Skyrider
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Voice of Reason

Postby Skyrider » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:07 am

Well there goes my interest in the show.

The only people that still think of Dick Grayson when they see Robin are over 40 years old.

Young Justice is Tim, Bart, and Conner.

No exceptions.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:11 am

Someone is going to have to consul VinnyPic. I fear for DC right now.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Kolimar
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Bear-hugger
Formerly: Kolimar

Postby Kolimar » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:55 am

Zechs wrote:
- The Robin and Kid Flash used for the cartoon will be the Dick Grayson and Wally Westversions.

[meme]ragecorps[/meme]

And with that all my hope for the show just went down the drain. How do you call the show Young Justice and not have TIM DRAKE AND BART ALLEN IN THIS AS WELL!? :roll:

I haven't lost all hope but I agree.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:00 am

Well the only people that think of Dick as Robin are old people and casual fans that don't read the comics and only know about Robin from the movies, the old TV show, the cartoons (both old ones and recent stuff like Brave and the Bold), and other things outside of comics. Which is almost everyone they are aiming the show at.

Bart should be there though.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:05 am

I'd bet anything 'Wally' has Bart's personality.

Skyrider
Flying Mongoose

Title: Voice of Reason

Postby Skyrider » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:13 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:Well the only people that think of Dick as Robin are old people and casual fans that don't read the comics and only know about Robin from the movies, the old TV show, the cartoons (both old ones and recent stuff like Brave and the Bold), and other things outside of comics. Which is almost everyone they are aiming the show at.

Except those people won't care. They're not going to avoid the show because a different kid (who's name they can probably only barely remember anyway) is Robin.

It's pandering to the wrong audience.

Especially since Dick Grayson is currently BATMAN. It's a little beyond silly to have him running around as Robin in a cartoon.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:14 am

King Impulse wrote:I'd bet anything 'Wally' has Bart's personality.

And 'Dick' has Tim's. Someone should do a redub after every Young Justice episode with that robotic voice subbing their names in. :P

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:24 am

Skyrider wrote:Except those people won't care. They're not going to avoid the show because a different kid (who's name they can probably only barely remember anyway) is Robin.

It's pandering to the wrong audience.

Especially since Dick Grayson is currently BATMAN. It's a little beyond silly to have him running around as Robin in a cartoon.

He was Robin on The Batman, Batman: The Animated Series, Teen Titans, The Brave and the Bold, and just about every other cartoon that's had Robin over the last 30 years, while in the comics he was Nightwing. He's the only Robin to appear in live action, doing so over about 5 decades since the 60's TV show, not even counting the serials that go back even further.

I'm not saying that would be a deal breaker for anyone if Tim was in the costume, but I think more than a few non-comics fans know Dick is Robin. The vast vast majority of the people that will watch this show will not know or care that Tim and Bart aren't on the show.

I really don't see any issue with this and by putting Tim or Bart they'd be catering to a vast minority of the potential audience. If I had to guess, I'd say they are using the Young Justice name solely because Teen Titans was fairly recently and it ties in with the Justice League name, not because it's based on the old series. I mean, the new Aqualad was never in YJ, nor was Miss Martian. Is anyone upset about their inclusion on the team? There's already a lot of new characters people don't know, but Wally (to a point) and Dick are the only ones people will really know that don't read comics. Even Conner isn't well known to non-comics fans and most of them think of Smallville or whatever when they think of Superboy, a young Clark not some clone.

I really think people making a big deal over this should calm down. Dick is Robin to 90% of the non-comics reading audience. I think they should have used Bart, but again Wally is much more well known (admittedly, mostly for being Flash). Plus, who knows, maybe after a year or two they will have those guys move on from the show and replace them with Tim and Bart.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:28 am

You people make me sad.

It's already a fucking alternate universe. But no apparently that's not good enough.

Comics would be a lot more fun if it wasn't
for the fans...

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:31 am

Plus Tim was only shown once in DC multi media. And really that was Jason Todd with Tim having his name.

It took Judd Winick to get Jason fully animated and adapted.

Babs as Oracle? Only happened in the Batman. Though twice if we count the live action Birds of Prey.

Dick as Nightwing? Five times. Batman: The Animated Series, Teen Titans, The Batman, Batman: the Brave and the Bold, and now Under the Red Hood.

Cass? Three second alternate universe cameo in Justice League.

Steph, Damian, and Az have gotten nothing. If anything else it surprises me Damian wasn't the Robin in this. I think honestly, if Tim had a real chance to be in an actual cartoon. This was that chance.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:33 am

The Reverend wrote:You people make me sad.

It's already a fucking alternate universe. But no apparently that's not good enough.

Comics would be a lot more fun if it wasn't
for the fans...

Word.

The best recent cartoons have been pretty far removed from the comics in a lot of ways.

Spectacular Spider-Man changed a ton of stuff about the character and his relationships with other character, and yet it's the best non-comics adaptation of the character ever.

The Brave and the Bold is wildly different from modern comics in a lot of ways and Aquaman in particular is totally different from his comic version, but again 99% of the changes are for the best and have made for a great show (the Outsiders being in that 1% that doesn't work).

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:45 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:Word.

The best recent cartoons have been pretty far removed from the comics in a lot of ways.

Spectacular Spider-Man changed a ton of stuff about the character and his relationships with other character, and yet it's the best non-comics adaptation of the character ever.

The Brave and the Bold is wildly different from modern comics in a lot of ways and Aquaman in particular is totally different from his comic version, but again 99% of the changes are for the best and have made for a great show (the Outsiders being in that 1% that doesn't work).

And the later show they've gone to new ground introducing modern and golden age characters into multi-media. Young Justice could had continued that trend is what people where hoping for. You got a thing named Young Justice. People expect Tim Drake, Bart Allen, Conner Kent, and Cassie Sandmark in this.

What we get instead is Dick Grayson, Wally West, Conner Kent (I'm really starting to think it was a miracle to even get him in this show), and a I cannot say but a merger being two Young Justice members? This is looking more Teen Titans than actual Young Justice.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:49 am

Zechs wrote:And the later show they've gone to new ground introducing modern and golden age characters into multi-media. Young Justice could had continued that trend is what people where hoping for. You got a thing named Young Justice. People expect Tim Drake, Bart Allen, Conner Kent, and Cassie Sandmark in this.

What we get instead is Dick Grayson, Wally West, Conner Kent (I'm really starting to think it was a miracle to even get him in this show), and a I cannot say but a merger being two Young Justice members? This is looking more Teen Titans than actual Young Justice.

If you say Young Justice, most people would say "What?" and have no expectations of anything.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum