Advertisement

SDCC: More Young Justice Details Come to the Surface

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 243 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:52 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:If you say Young Justice, most people would say "What?" and have no expectations of anything.

That's because it was a select niche that DC didn't help but keep buried by not releasing any trades whatsoever. If anyone is to blame for that, "What?" it's DC themselves.

Also funny how those YJ stories are just suddenly coming out too making people who love the show scratch their head even more and say, "What?" given 95% of the people on this show aren't in the comic.
Last edited by Zechs on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Advertisement

JL_Amato
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby JL_Amato » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:52 am

Zechs wrote:And the later show they've gone to new ground introducing modern and golden age characters into multi-media. Young Justice could had continued that trend is what people where hoping for. You got a thing named Young Justice. People expect Tim Drake, Bart Allen, Conner Kent, and Cassie Sandmark in this.

What we get instead is Dick Grayson, Wally West, Conner Kent (I'm really starting to think it was a miracle to even get him in this show), and a I cannot say but a merger being two Young Justice members? This is looking more Teen Titans than actual Young Justice.

Well duh

Besides people who read Young Justice (all 10 of them) no one has any fucking clue who Tim Drake, Bart Allen, Conner Kent, or Cassie Sandmark (fuck I don't even know who that is). The last time we saw time Tim Drake was 1999. Any kids that watched that cartoon with him have grown up and won't be watching this show.

People are expecting Robin, Kid Flash, and Superboy. They don't give a crap who's behind the mask. Besides how often are they going to out of costume on a half hour kid's show?

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 243 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:55 am

JL_Amato wrote:Well duh

Besides people who read Young Justice (all 10 of them) no one has any fucking clue who Tim Drake, Bart Allen, Conner Kent, or Cassie Sandmark (fuck I don't even know who that is). The last time we saw time Tim Drake was 1999. Any kids that watched that cartoon with him have grown up and won't be watching this show.

People are expecting Robin, Kid Flash, and Superboy. They don't give a crap who's behind the mask. Besides how often are they going to out of costume on a half hour kid's show?

Yes but are they expecting Conner Kent or Clark Kent when it comes to Superboy?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:57 am

Zechs wrote:That's because it was a select niche that DC didn't help but keep buried by not releasing any trades whatsoever. If anyone is to blame for that, "What?" it's DC themselves.

Also funny how those YJ stories are just suddenly coming out too making people who love the show scratch their head even more and say, "What?" given 95% of the people on this show aren't in the comic.

I don't deny that, but like I said I think they are just using the different name because Teen Titans is still too recent to reuse that name and this is a name that relates to the Justice League title.

And them releasing the trades as the show debuts is just good business. I don't really see an issue with that either. I'm sure if someone used the Hobgoblin in a Spidey movie, you'd see a trade or two featuring him as well.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:58 am

Zechs wrote:Yes but are they expecting Conner Kent or Clark Kent when it comes to Superboy?

Probably Clark.

There's 6 main characters and 4 will be all new to most viewers. Two of them are going back to their most famous IDs. I really don't see the problem with this.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:58 am

Zechs wrote:That's because it was a select niche that DC didn't help but keep buried by not releasing any trades whatsoever. If anyone is to blame for that, "What?" it's DC themselves.

It doesn't change the fact that a couple fanboys who will watch the show anyway is not who DC is marketing to, nor should they. Marketing to fanboys is a sure recipe for failure.

No one will care if it's Bart or Wally.

Plus... It's an alternate fuckinv universe people!!! It could be Clark Kent and Dick Grayson and Diana Prince and it wouldn't matter.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:00 am

The Reverend wrote:It doesn't change the fact that a couple fanboys who will watch the show anyway is not who DC is marketing to, nor should they. Marketing to fanboys is a sure recipe for failure.

No one will care if it's Bart or Wally.

Plus... It's an alternate fuckinv universe people!!! It could be Clark Kent and Dick Grayson and Diana Prince and it wouldn't matter.

Agreed again.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:16 am

I swear to god, that Sheldon guy on the Big Bang Theory is like the patron saint of this place.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:17 am

When at the very least it should be Jason Lee's character from Mall Rats.

Skyrider
Flying Mongoose

Title: Voice of Reason

Postby Skyrider » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:39 am

The Reverend wrote: Marketing to fanboys is a sure recipe for failure.

Yeah because Batman and Robin as well as all of the other movies and shows that wildly veer from the source material were INCREDIBLY SUCCESSFUL. :roll:

These characters and concepts are strong and have stood the test of time. Second guessing them and playing towards a nonexistant target audience (whom, I should point out will most likely NOT watch the show anyway) is not the way to make a successful show.

You're implying that it doesn't matter that it's not Tim or Bart because the "fans won't care and will watch it anyway".

I turn that around on you and present to you this: Casual watchers whom the show is going to try to pull in are not going to care AT ALL who Robin or Kid Flash or Superboy is.

They won't. It won't stop them from watching it. It's not going to make it too confusing unless the writers go out of their way to make it convoluted. To them a name is a name and no casual watcher, who is not already a "fan" is going to get annoyed that Robin is Tim Drake and not Dick Grayson and decide to stop watching the show. They will go, "Hm, I guess Robin is a kid named Tim Drake now. Okay."

On the other hand, the comic fan (who you may remember, actually cares about this stuff) is more likely to write off the series over something such as this. Mainly because it shows the creators don't care about the source material and are trying to cash in on the name of a loved property without really bringing to life what made the property lovable.

The FAN will reject the series, thus you lose your foundation. You lose your word of mouth (which is insanely important for grabbing the casual watcher).

Of course you want to make sure the storylines remain accessible, but it is by FAR, the more sensible choice to cater to the fans.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:47 am

Dude, that's complete bs. Let's look at the most successful comic film franchise right now shall we?

Batman is Bruce Wayne who didn't really train around the world but instead got himself thrown into prison until he is mentordd by Ra's al Ghul! He then lets Ras die and encounters a Joker who never fell into a vat of acid who happened to create Two Face, who then died when Batman tackled him off a platform.

Should we go to the Xmen movies next?

Next, please.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:36 am

I'd argue that Bart is more well known than Wally due to Smallville.

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:39 am

Honestly, I don't think there names will be even bought up in the show.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:51 am

Jubilee wrote:Honestly, I don't think there names will be even bought up in the show.

Yeah, like in Teen Titans, I don't think they ever said which Robin it was directly.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:29 am

Phil Lamarr as Aquaman? :?
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum